SpillerMiller

Hydraulic fluid for a C-120

SpillerMiller

I need to know what type to put in my tractor please. My best guess puts it in the mid 750's for age. Also, where is the fill point? Thank you very much for any help

SpillerMiller

70's*

meadowfield

assuming its a hydro transmission, then either 10W40 motor oil or automatic transmission fluid. If you are just topping up, check which it is. If you are replacing the filter then flush out and use motor oil.

Fill point is under the rear fender, should either be a fill tube or bung in the top of the transmission

SpillerMiller

Thank you very much. Any idea on the quantity?

Also, is the filter easy to find or am I going to have to spend a fortune on a special style?

meadowfield

No idea off the top of my head. There's probably a manual in the manuals section which will have the oil quantity.

I'm sure someone will probably pipe in with filter number, you do need the right one!

SpillerMiller

I know I need a specific one. Im just curious if the local guy would have it or if im going to have to order one off some vintage site. Also, this site wont let me into the manuals section for some reason

meadowfield

You might need to become a supporter for that benefit :D

SpillerMiller

Whats a guy gotta do to become a supporter?

Desko

If its a sunstrand it takes a Napa 1410 hydraulic filter and should take 4-6 quarts of oil depending

SpillerMiller

Thank you desko

pfrederi

If the existing oil is red it is ATF (Dexron)  if it is tan it is motor oil 10w-30 or 10w40.  Flushing is more involved that draining and refilling. (They do not mix well)   I would stick with what ever is in there now.  i run Dexron in some of my older machines and it seems to work just as well as the motor oil in the newer ones.

• Like 1

SpillerMiller

I have no idea what's currently in it. Its definitely motor oil. I bought it last fall and I doubt its had regular scheduled maintenance. So I know its time for some fresh fluid and filter

meadowfield

Whats a guy gotta do to become a supporter?

I think it's in the store tab, where you pay to be a supporter...

Hodge71

With it being  a mid 70s I would say it has to be motor oil. Tranny fluid was phased out by the end of 1973. 10w-30 oil is fine. My Dads has been changed to 10w-40 because it never gets driven in the winter and has close to 5000 hours on it..maybe a touch more.

SpillerMiller

Thank you sir. Much appreciated