Jparkes43

Serious design flaw with the wheel horse 227-5 and maybe with others

Jparkes43

So the other day i was riding Juliette and i went to change from neutral to 5th gear and thats when the gear shifter broke of the turning bit on the gearbox, so i did a temporary fix to get it going again and it worked, but the other day i was thinking about it and then it came to me when shifting into neutral and reverse there are no problems but when you put the lever up to change into forward gears that is when it breaks, so this got me thinking if the gears are easy to change when the lever is in the down position then why not make it so that you don't have to put the lever up to change into the forward gears.

And then i went into thinking mode and thought of a solution.

Why not cute out the section that meant you had to push the lever up  to change gears.

And then i got thinking some more of my idea and liked it so i woke up the next day and set about to fix it, so i took of the inspection panel and cute out the offending section, filed it down, and painted it, and i'm pleased to say it not only means the gear selector wont break it makes it so much easier to change gears. 

below is a video i made with more information and a more detailed step by step guide on how to do it.

James

• Like 3

meadowfield

good vid James...

the step is there for two reasons:

1) in order to make neutral easy to find

2) to stop a novice pushing the shift lever straight from forward into reverse - or reverse into forward :o

I know this because

a.  I've had to fix a broken peerless with a the shift key mangled

b.  I did the same modification on a westwood and the lack of neutral position was a pain in the backside!

Edited by meadowfield

Jparkes43

Thank you for the compliment

i did understand the step, but i took into account i k now where my gears where and didn't want to go through the process of repairing it as it was very annoying and long process.

and i took it out for a test run and it seems to be easy to see what gear your in and i'm sensible enough make the modification i did.

james

but i do appreciate your concern.

Edited by Jparkes43