pasch69

Newbie with a 607

pasch69

Hello from Northern Illinois!  My father gave me his pride and joy this week, I loved driving this tractor in the 70's and 80's when I was a young kid. My father tells me when he purchased the tractor in 1968 that they installed an electric starter kit complete with cigarette lighter, they replaced the rear bushings with bearings , installed lights at the dealership but were not made by Wheel Horse. He also purchased the chrome wheel covers, dozer blade, mowing deck and snow blade. He also mentioned at the time of his purchase that they gave you a Wheel Horse push mower but it did not stand up to the test of time. When the dealership shut down my father was able to get his hands on several spare parts for this tractor. I was digging through all the paperwork and found several manuals for this tractor as well as many other models. I would love to hear more info and facts on this tractor! In the coming year I think we will be doing a complete restoration, so any ideas and suggestions are very welcome.

post-13613-0-22129900-1406644523_thumb.j

post-13613-0-03663900-1406644541.jpg

post-13613-0-08964500-1406644555.jpg

post-13613-0-07425100-1406644579.jpg

Edited by pasch69
  • Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

What a great story and family keepsake. To me it looks like you just finished restoring it. Looks great! Please a few more pictures when you get a chance.

best of luck and wellcome to red square. Others I am sure will chime in soon.

Glenn     :text-welcomeconfetti:

SPINJIM

Thanks for the pictures.   Your father obviously took great care of the tractor.  You probably already know that the '6' stands for 6hp, the '0' for manual recoil start, and the '7' for 1967.   You father essentially converted it to a 657 when he added the battery start, but I would keep the original numbers on it.   I looks as good as the day he bought it.   Welcome to Red Square.  

There is ton on information on the internet.  Just Google Wheel Horse 607, and you'll have all of the specs.  Also, lots of help and info here.

The Tecumseh engine is a solid engine, but it's carburetor has to be kept very clean, and drained of gas often.  Parts are still available.

A word of warning about Wheel Horse tractors.   Like potato chips, you can't have just one.  

Jim

slammer302

I wouldn't restore such a awesome original wheel horse

• Like 2

pasch69

Thanks for the info! We are a military family so PM's are a must! My father was very strict about keeping the tractor clean, changing the oil...I can remember many times sitting out back with a putty knife cleaning the bottom of the deck off.  I will have to quiz my dad on why he just didnt purchase the 657  VS doing all these upgrades? My uncle ran the dealership back then so maybe it had something to do with it? We had a few Wheel Horses growing up, he gave my brother the Ranger  and we had one other one but we dont remember the model number( Photo included).

post-13613-0-03238700-1406647955_thumb.j

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:WRS:

CasualObserver

Welcome aboard. My in-laws live in Dixon, we're there quite frequently. If you're not doing anything this weekend, you should take your Wheel Horse over to Franklin Grove, there's usually several garden tractor guys set up at the annual Living History show there, which happens to be this weekend.  I was planning to attend, but that plan has changed.

There's another long time member who's from Polo who will probably introduce himself, there's also members from Dixon and Ohio who haven't been around for a while.

I'm guessing if your dad bought it new, it was perhaps at Killmer's?

killmermotors.jpg

stevasaurus

WELCOME TO RED SQUARE.  Excellent story and an excellent looking 607.  We are going to have a few members get together at the Antique Steam Power show in Sycamore.  We are looking at getting together Saturday, August 16th.  Come join us if you can and you can bring your horse. We will be set up along the fence on the North side of the grounds...where all the garden tractors are.  Here is the link to the show information.  :)

• Like 1

Ken B

Very cool story.  Since you asked for idea's and suggestions here goes, If that is what the 607 currently looks like I would never restore it. It looks to already be in fantastic condition. If you restore it know one will ever know how well your father took care of it...  Tractors in excellent original condition are truly appreciated, I also think its more valuable in its current condition. Of course its your choice.

• Like 2

pasch69

Thanks for the welcomes and advice! I think you all have a very valid point on keeping it original.  Causual Observer-It's a small world! The tractor was actually purchased in Freeport. Stevasaurus-thanks for the invite! I do make it to the Threshing/Antique show up in Freeport and Edgerton WI, I have not been to the Sycamore show yet but have heard great things about it.

I have a newbie question, how does one get their military status/member posted? I'm a "has been" paratrooper but still am proud to have served!

• Like 1

Racinbob

Welcome to the forum. What a wonderful story and beautiful tractor. I agree with the rest here, no restoration needed.

Fun Engineer

Thanks for the pictures. Your father obviously took great care of the tractor. You probably already know that the '6' stands for 6hp, the '0' for manual recoil start, and the '7' for 1967. You father essentially converted it to a 657 when he added the battery start, but I would keep the original numbers on it. I looks as good as the day he bought it. Welcome to Red Square.

There is ton on information on the internet. Just Google Wheel Horse 607, and you'll have all of the specs. Also, lots of help and info here.

The Tecumseh engine is a solid engine, but it's carburetor has to be kept very clean, and drained of gas often. Parts are still available.

A word of warning about Wheel Horse tractors. Like potato chips, you can't have just one.

Jim

I agree and that picture is priceless.

stevasaurus

Thank You for your service!!  Start a thread in the "Site and Suggestions" section on the main page.  State what branch you were in and the dates and an Admin will see it and take of that for you.  There is a thread about that, but I don't know where it is at the moment.  Hope to see you at Sycamore.

I found the link...still may want to start that thread though.  click on this link...

Edited by stevasaurus

pasch69

A few more pics, sorry not trying to be a "show off" -I'm just excited about my new toy!

post-13613-0-73676000-1406659530_thumb.j

post-13613-0-60652400-1406659544.jpg

post-13613-0-66962900-1406659561_thumb.j

post-13613-0-43292400-1406659577_thumb.j

• Like 3

Ken B

Wow, it just keeps gettin nicer! I'll be the first to bust yer chops about the green machine in the corner.... :eek:

• Like 2

pasch69

Ahhhhhhh, well I deserve that one! :angry-nono:  I will  work on replacing it with another Horse!

• Like 1

pasch69

Airborne!

post-13613-0-06232400-1406661055_thumb.j

post-13613-0-85497500-1406661103_thumb.j

post-13613-0-94187000-1406661188_thumb.j

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

That has to be one of the nicest original early models I've ever seen.

Edited by Fun Engineer

Racinbob

By all means, keep showing off :) . We all love pictures. You have every right to be excited!

speedyleedy

What a awsome story & thank you for your service so we can have a great hobbie   like this !!!! I think you need to leave it unrestored & just tell your great story when you show it & thank for sharing the story & pictures . :flags-usa: welcome to  :rs:

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh: P/69 excellent and Welcome to this site. As I am looking for that model for over a year now I have to as every one says keep it original Because these are VERY VERY HARD TO FIND. I think because of the straight recoil. Most people just paid the few $$$ more for the  657. So maybe low in production #`s made in this model rare. I have all the 57 series Except the 157 = to small for me anyway and the 607. Take care  Gary    B....

stevasaurus

pasch...as you can see, this is an excellent site with great members.  You can never post enough pictures.  That green thing in the back corner that KenB spotted is OK...you need some of those to realize how good the Red things are.  :)

• Like 2

Molon_Labe

Great story and great Horse, welcome to :rs:

KC9KAS

Very nice tractor and story.

:WRS:

Thank you and your family for your military service.

My wife was in the Army "Big Red 1"

Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good aircraft? :ychain:  :ROTF:

Gunny

Welcome pasch!  Very good story.  The 857 my Dad gave me has never been restored.  Keeps the memories alive from when he first unloaded it.  Looks sort of rough on the outside, but all heart on the inside and never let either of us down.

Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good aircraft?

Army and Marine aircraft are not perfectly good aircraft.  Took off in many more than I landed in!  A water jump was my last jump sometime in 1986......not planned.

Dennis