Nick P.

Brake Lever on 875 disengaged the hydro drive

Nick P.

Any hints on this; The 875 was running at 4-5 mph and I inadvertently pulled on and engaged the brake lever. Grrrrr, sound. Now the lever is not tight as it was before and I have to pull the brake lever up to re-engage the hydro drive pump. The hydro still pumps and drives the 875 if I temporarily  hold the lever up. The lever wont stay in the "UP" = drive position. It just kind of wobbles around.

Permanant damage? or hope it is just a spring or a lever than I munched.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Nick

sorekiwi

There is a spring on the lever, it sounds as though it has broken.  A look at the parts drawing should show you where it is.

If the parking brake doesnt work anymore, it has probably broken the pawl inside the transmission.  It is reasonably common to find a tractor with this problem.  A search for "Parking brake" should bring up pictures and repair options for this.

pfrederi

I would stop using it and change the hydro fluid and filter.  That Grrr noise was the parking pawl being ground down by the gear it engages  dumping metal shavings into your hydro system.....

Nick P.

Thanks both for the good advice. I will wrench around and remove the shroud covers this weekend and take a look. Crossing my fingers it is just an external spring(?) that gave up and not internal pawl.

-Nick

Nick P.

Hi All,

Happy to report- broken Spring was the culprit !

Anyone have a photo or diagram showing where the spring end attaches?

The hole in the brake lever is one end, I am seeking to locate the opposite non brake end.

Is it bolted to somewhere??

Nick

Nick P.

Thanks all for the great advice.

Next puzzle- how to change the mower deck drive belts.

Any suggestions are welcome. It looks like the deck shaft has to come apart ?