kudzu3

safety switch wiring question

kudzu3

Hi, need a little help.  I'm not wiring the two safety switches on my B 80 rebuild, so am wondering, (1) do I need to wire straight from ignition switch to solenoid? If I do, which post on the solenoid should I connect to? (2) Does it matter which post on the solenoid that I connect to the ammeter? (3) One more thing that has me confused is the wire with the eye connection coming from the points on front of the engine (K181). Where and how does this connect? I finished wiring today ( I thought), and then realized that I may need to do something with the safety switch wiring and also noticed that little wire sticking out of the point box :roll: . Thanks for any help/advice. :bow-blue:

rmaynard

Here is the wiring diagram for your B-80

post-2221-0-24623000-1406513654_thumb.jp

I do not condone the bypassing of any safety switch, but if it is necessary to do so temporarily, the wire from the "S" (start) terminal on the ignition switch goes directly to the small terminal on the solenoid.

The ammeter wire gets connected to the same large lug on the solenoid as the (+) battery cable.

The condenser wire and the points wire connect to the (-) side of the coil. The condenser body must be securely connected to ground.

• Like 2

kudzu3

Thanks maynard, I certainly agree with you about connecting the safety switches, but they were disconnected when I got it and since it is only going to be used as a cruiser, I didn't connect them when I wired, I guess it would be a good time to go ahead and do it. Thanks for the diagram, I have one but mine is not as detailed. It doesn't show the points and doesn't label the switch connections. This will be a great help. All your information will be very helpful, thanks.

kudzu3

maynard, do you have any suggestion as to how to run the points to coil wire? I have looked at many pictures but none show this. Thanks

rmaynard

The points wire connects to the screw on the spring of the points, comes out of the bottom of the points cover through the rubber grommet, then goes right to the (-) post of the coil.

kudzu3

Okay, thanks. My coil is on the rear of the engine and the points are on the right front. I was just wondering about a good, safe route for the wire. Thanks