mr_speegs

K181S Crank Bearing replacement

mr_speegs

So...my 1966 876 Wheel-A-Matic snapped a rod a number of months ago and I've been stumbling through the engine rebuild since. I think I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, but I may have finally gone in a little over my head. The connecting rod broke as a result of (or cause of) two worn crank bearings. I've removed the bearing plate side, but am a little apprehensive at what I'm seeing on the PTO side. The large valve/timing gear is blocking me from knocking the remaining crank bearing out. Is there any way of me getting that bearing out short of complete engine disassembly?

WH nut

Nope

Are you sure the bearings are bad, very uncommon. More like lack of lube.

Edited by WH nut
  • Like 1

mr_speegs

Well, I know that the oil got too low, likely through bad seals. That's the obvious cause. The bearings are definitely spun too, given they way they sound and feel. 

Looks like I'm in for a long weekend...

WH nut

Its not a bad project, a couple hours

mr_speegs

Anyone know how to remove the camshaft from a K181? The Kohler service manual isn't exactly clear. It states as follows:

1. Drive the camshaft pin (an cup plug on bearing side plate) out of the crankcase from the PTO side.

2. Remove the camshaft pin, camshaft, and shim(s) on bearing plate side of camshaft.

My issue is that, to my novice eyes, there is no obvious external means by which to access or dislodge the camshaft. What am I not seeing or understanding?

On a similar note, does anyone know what to look for to find the timing mark on the crankshaft? I know it's difficult for these engines, but I'm not positive what I am looking at is correct.

rmaynard

The camshaft pin runs through the length of camshaft, and is secured by being snug in the hole on the PTO side of the crankcase. In the unlikely event that it were to work loose, the bearing plate will keep if from coming completely out.

Remove the bearing plate on the flywheel side. Locate where the 1/2" camshaft pin is on the pto side. Using a hammer and a 7/16" or 15/32" pin driver, tap the camshaft pin out in the direction of the flywheel. Be careful when you take it completely out, as there are one or two spacer shims that will fall out from between the cam shaft and crankcase. The timing mark is usually a dimple. I will post pictures as soon as I find them.

rmaynard

post-2221-0-87967900-1406741563_thumb.jp

• Like 1

rmaynard

Location of camshaft pin on PTO side of K181. Drive it out from this side.

post-2221-0-12270300-1406741759_thumb.jp

mr_speegs

Thanks a lot, rmaynard! I will hopefully follow up with a successful update and be on my way to a running engine again.

mr_speegs

Oh, and one more thing...do I have to worry about any timing issue between the camshaft gear and governor gear above?

rmaynard

Nope.