Ed Kennell

Solenoid rebuild

Ed Kennell

The starter solenoid on my 520H was clicking in, but was not making the connection to power the starter. So I thought it is nothing lost to take it apart before I searched for a new one.    Surprisingly it is a very simple device and very easy to repair.  I am sorry to say I did not take any pictures , but If anyone else makes the same repair, I invite them to post the pictures here. I did a search and did not find any info on solenoid repair.

The disassembly... using a small screw driver, bend out the two tabs on one side of the metal base plate enough to remove the base plate and gasket.

Cut the wire free from the lug that goes to the ignition switch.

Using two small screw drivers, lift out the coil assembly.  If the solenoid was clicking in and out, the coil is OK.

The contact disc and spring may come out with the coil, If not , turn it over and the disc and spring will fall out. Don't lose the spring.

Back off the nuts on the contact bolts  about half way, then I use an old 1/8" pipe nipple as a sleeve to protect the threads and tap out the bolts.

The only problem with the solenoid was corrosion on the contact surface of the two bolt heads and the connecting disc. I polished all these surfaces on the scotch-brite wheel, and put it back together.

The reassembly... Note the two contact bolt heads are oval shaped ...Make sure they are aligned correctly before tightening the nuts.

I found it easiest to put the contact disc in the coil hole , put the spring on the disc, and push the entire assembly up into the plastic body.

I also increased the angle on the two tabs on bottom of the coil plate. This creates the pressure from the base plate that keeps the coil in the correct  position.

Solder  the wire back on  the lug.  Don't forget this step.

Install the gasket and install the base plate. I squeezed all four tabs in the vice  to be sure the coil was held in the correct position.

Put it back on the tractor and light her up.

This repair took less time than it took me to type this...about 15 minutes. 

So there you go,  If you have a bad solenoid...don't pitch it...fix it.

• Like 2

km3h

We use to do that all the time on our cars when I was a youngster. I learned that you have to polish the contacts very smoothly they will corrode pretty fast. I used really fine steel wool when I did it.

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Possibly different type of Solenoid, but I had to do a full strip and clean on both tractor's Solenoids. the original style was not available in UK when I did them, so had no option.

Covered the subject in picture form on my C-120 Refurb on here. Hope this link points to it, if not, it's on page 2 about 3/4 of the way down, Post number 46 -

They are both still working just fine, so like you did, it's well worth the effort.

• Like 2

km3h

Solenoid is a solenoid on the inside. In the older GM cars they were usually attached to the starter. Chrysler and Ford were on the fender well and much like what we use on the tractors. As kids we did it to save money so we could buy gas to cruise around. When I need one today I go the automotive store and get one for $12.00 or so.

Now when what you need is not available, necessity becomes the mother of invention. You did a good job on that. You guys are forced to improvise over there because of availability and the high cost of Import. I admire the way some of you find solutions to problems that for us are a trip to the local parts store.

Edited by km3h
  • Like 1