shallowwatersailor

Mounting Tires on Split Rims

shallowwatersailor

Here is a series of photos showing how I mounted three pairs of new tires on new rims for my Gravely Walk-Behind tractors. Instead of using screwdrivers, etc., to align the rims, I made a jig using 3/8"-16 threaded rod, 3/8"-16 coupler nuts, and 3/8"-16 T-Nuts to hold them in-place. Apply a liberal amount of talcum powder to the tube and inside of the tire. Use Ruglyde to lubricate the bead and rim. With this arrangement I mounted four 4.80-8 and two 16X6.50-8 tires in about two hours. It went quicker with each one. You do need to be careful not to pinch the tube though which is probably the most time consuming part.

post-3066-0-08931500-1406474848_thumb.jppost-3066-0-17285100-1406474900_thumb.jppost-3066-0-30600000-1406475006_thumb.jppost-3066-0-67640900-1406474940_thumb.jppost-3066-0-59497600-1406475516_thumb.jppost-3066-0-65864500-1406475547_thumb.jppost-3066-0-26844600-1406475065_thumb.jppost-3066-0-28856300-1406475039_thumb.jp

• Like 7

AMC RULES

New shoes look great John...   :handgestures-thumbsup:    :popcorn: 

can't wait to see some new video of it in action. 

shallowwatersailor

New shoes look great John...   :handgestures-thumbsup:    :popcorn: 

can't wait to see some new video of it in action. 

Hopefully the duals help with traction because with singles it was slipping on the slope. Having the duals on it makes it a lot harder to push by hand! I'm building my upper body strength. :D

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

John, nice job. that tractor looks like it kicks some a$$. I cant wait for a video of that in action.

Glenn

tunahead72

Hey John,

Thanks for this cool tip!  I bought an old heavy duty wheelbarrow at an auction a few years ago for $5, and now have to install a new tire on the old split rim.  I've been scratching my head for a while thinking about how to do it exactly, looks like your method will work very nicely.

Thanks again!

shallowwatersailor

Hey John,

Thanks for this cool tip!  I bought an old heavy duty wheelbarrow at an auction a few years ago for $5, and now have to install a new tire on the old split rim.  I've been scratching my head for a while thinking about how to do it exactly, looks like your method will work very nicely.

Thanks again!

Ed,

I did another pair after the first three sets. I actually enjoy doing it! :banana-tux:

John

Geno

Hopefully the duals help with traction because with singles it was slipping on the slope. Having the duals on it makes it a lot harder to push by hand! I'm building my upper body strength. :D

Nothing like something that doubles as an exercise machine.  You'll be looking like Aaarnold in no time.  :laughing-rolling:

squonk

I want a video of that Gravely with the Dog Eater on it this winter!  :bow-blue:  :bow-blue:  :occasion-snowman:  :banana-linedance:  :banana-linedance: