wholdguy

Throttle Control Slipping ?

wholdguy

Our Charger 12 with the Tecumseh engine is getting difficult to use as a  mowing machine....... Seems the throttle control does not stay set in any locked position.  It always moves to a quarter speed setting and I must hold it out to keep the engine speed up.  With the hydrostatic drive, this keeps my right hand very busy with these controls.

Is there any adjustment to be made with this control cable or do I just need to replace it?  Can anyone help with this?

G.

wfrpalm

I do not know how the friction set up on your tractor works but when the speed control lever on my 875 did not have any resistance I fixed it by cutting two small sections of bicycle inner tube ( like rubber bands ) and stretched them over the shoes that cause the resistance. If a charger works a similar way that should work for you.

varosd

If your throttle is like most, you can squeeze the big rivet on the throttle with some channel locks. sometimes you have to remove it from the dash in order to do this. others have hammered the rivet to create more friction. others have drilled out the rivet and used locknut/bolt combo. or re-rivet if you have big rivet tools!

my 416's throttle was so bad, the PO cut a piece of metal and it would swivel into place locking the throttle into place. 

All I did was read Red Square and fixed it right!! :rolleyes:

WH nut

If you have the push pull cable with twist to lock you will have to replace the cable

wholdguy

WH nut

Yes, this one has the push pull and turn to lock throttle cable.  I should have described it earlier.  So I wonder if any of the previous ideas might work before I replace the cable?

G.

WH nut

You can try disconnecting the cable from the carb and pull out as far as you can get it rough up the shaft that goes into the lock. Vise grips or pliers to make little notches so it doesn't slip in the lock

boovuc

WH Nut....that is something I have tried before but as was mentioned earlier, when those twist-lock push-pulls won't stay locked, you really need to replace the cable end to end.

I went through this with my 867 after buying it a few years ago.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Just replace the cable. I bought one a few months back on ebay for the 854 I am redoing.

by the time you hassel with trying to jimmie rig it, you will waste more time and probably end up replacing it.

Glenn

• Like 1

Trouty56

I drilled a small hole through the plastic end and inner cable end.  Ran a very small pin thriugh it. Now I can adjust the friction by twisting the end as was designed.....

Edited by Trouty56

pfrederi

Two clothes pins work on my Electro 12.  One clothes pin for fast idle two for mowing. A whole lot cheaper than a new cable. Cheap cruise control  :)  (I use the same setup on My M37's  hand throttle to keep her at fast idle for warming up)    

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

jackhammer

Two clothes pins work on my Electro 12.  One clothes pin for fast idle two for mowing. A whole lot cheaper than a new cable. Cheap cruise control  :)  (I use the same setup on My M37's  hand throttle to keep her at fast idle for warming up)    

As long as your socks or other things aren't blowing in the wind I'd guess you'd be ok  :banana-gotpics:     :ychain:

Rick

wholdguy

Paul  and others:

I think for now I like the one and two clothes pin idea.  I think I will use them the next time I have it out mowing!

G.

wheel-mule

I have the new cables.They sell for $18 plus shipping.I'm sure I can ship it for $5 or less.

jeremi3210

I've had some luck taking the cables out and putting some superglue on the shaft where cable would clamp. Again take the cable out or it may be permanently locked. Worked for me.

Edited by jeremi3210

pfrederi

As long as your socks or other things aren't blowing in the wind I'd guess you'd be ok  :banana-gotpics:     :ychain:

Rick

Red Neck Cruise control  one at fast idle one at mowing speed....

post-1023-0-85018900-1406666106_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-67827900-1406666121_thumb.jp

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Paint the clothespins red and put a horse head insignia on them. "Special factory option" non wheel horse folk won't know.

Glenn

Mappingpilot

I have the same problem with a recently acquired 416-8. I made a retainer out of some scrap aluminum on my scroll saw (see attached pics). Not pretty, but it works.

20150729_174257.jpg

20150729_174211.jpg

ronhatch

Retainer, clothespins? Maybe a little unsafe too??  :wacko:  Come on guys.  My 857 wouldn't hold either, so I replaced it with a regular lever style for under $10.00. I like it a lot better than the old push pull set up. That's OK for the choke, but not the throttle.

Edited by ronhatch

pfrederi

Retainer, clothespins? Maybe a little unsafe too??  :wacko:  Come on guys.  My 857 wouldn't hold either, so I replaced it with a regular lever style for under $10.00. I like it a lot better than the old push pull set up. That's OK for the choke, but not the throttle.

Unsafe how...it is easier and quicker to pull a clothes pin off than to twist the correct locking throttle to the unlocked position and push it in....

• Like 1

Kelsey

The past week or so, I was working on my son's 310-8 and he showed me that his
the WH throttle's handle would vibrate down while the engine was running. It looked like
the flat spring was in place. I used a E-clip and tapped in between the flat spring and the
throttle handle with a small flathead screw driver and hammer. The throttle stays in position
without slipping downward.

100_0847.JPG

Edited by Kelsey

bmsgaffer

I disagree. The throttle has no bearing on safety if your key switch and clutch work correctly... I cant see any situation where the throttle would be a safety issue.

the WH throttle's handle would vibrate down while the engine was running. It looked like
the flat spring was in place. I used a E-clip and tapped in between the flat spring and the
throttle handle with a small flathead screw driver and hammer. The throttle stays in position

100_0847.JPG

That's a pretty slick idea, looks a heck of a lot easier than drilling out and replacing with a bolt and lock nut. Does it slip at all? Like, do you foresee it falling out at some point?

kudzu3

I'd like to replace mine as you have done, could you give a little detail as to how you did this? I sure can't find one for under 10.00. Sorry, don't mean to hi jac the thread:).

Kelsey

I disagree. The throttle has no bearing on safety if your key switch and clutch work correctly... I cant see any situation where the throttle would be a safety issue.

100_0847.JPG

That's a pretty slick idea, looks a heck of a lot easier than drilling out and replacing with a bolt and lock nut. Does it slip at all? Like, do you foresee it falling out at some point?

The E-clip fits fairly tight against the flat spring and the throttle handle doesn't drift
downward as it did without the clip. I don't think the clip will fall out but time will tell.
The E-clip came from the WH 310 hood's pivot shaft that was replaced with bushings and shoulder
bolts with nylock nuts. The clip just happened to be handy at the time.

• Like 1