ScottR

Larger front rims for 312-8

ScottR

Good morning,

Does anyone know of a source of a larger diameter front rim that would fit a 312-8 (1995)?  I really want more deck height. I can only get the deck to about 3 1/4 cutting height which makes my horse only good for cutting the weed field becasue we like to keep the yard at about 4 1/2 to 5" in the summer.  My rear tires stand 23" at 12 PSI which gives me over 3 3/4' on the back but makes it impossible to get the variance in the front and rear ends of the blades within 1/4". I thought taller from tires would be a good solution.

Thanks all.

Scott

zieg72

I have an extra pair of rims I'd sell.  They came off a 414 and they're 8".  $45 for the pair

Wheel-N-It

Scott get the 8inch rims from Zeig. Replace any of the wheel bearings if necessary. To get the maximum height available, don't change the spindles. Leave the stock ones on. Since my avatar pic I upgraded the front wheels to 8inch on my 312-8. I left the stock spindles on even though I had bought a shorter set in case I needed to compensate for the overall wheel/tire diameter change. Good luck with your mod. Post some before and after pics.

ScottR

Ok, but just to verify, will these rims work with a 3/4" spindle?

Sparky

Ok, but just to verify, will these rims work with a 3/4" spindle?

Yes they will.

Mike........

ScottR

Ok, thanks guys.

Zeig, I'll send a message to you.

Theroundhousernr

I don't believe changing front tires will help with your deck height problem. Wheel horse decks are true floating so when the deck is down, all the weight is on the rear deck wheels. Or should be at least. I guess if you raise the front end, you will also raise the height of the deck lift rod because it only goes down so far. You could accomplish the same thing by just setting the height on your dial height gauge. But I don't think it would mow very nice that way. You want the deck to float on the grass. like it was designed to do.

Why not try 7 inch wheels on the mower deck and adjust your deck leveling rod??? Much , Much easier..... :eusa-whistle:

• Like 1

ScottR

I don't think I'll ever be able to level the deck properly without either raising the front end or going to a 22" tire on the back that't a true 22".  Mine are over 23" at 12 PSI. Besides, I like the look of 8" rims. Vanity I guess.

Theroundhousernr

I guess what I am saying is you can put your deck on any wheel horse you want and it will still cut the same height. The deck wheels and leveling rod is what limits your cutting height.

Edited by Theroundhousernr

Theroundhousernr

Before I put my foot in my mouth. If this is a small 30 something inch deck, I have no idea how these work as far as mounting. But any of the rear discharge and 42 and 48 side discharge function this way and tires should not effect the cut. I guess if the tractor sits nose down you might have to crank the leveling rod all the way, but it will only cut as high as the back of the deck. Which is why I suggested bigger deck wheels.

Unless as stated before the tires are so big that it max out the deck lift rod. Which means the whole deck will be supported by it and the rear wheels never touch. Which would give uneven cuts

Theroundhousernr

I also agree that the bigger tires look better....

I do get what you are saying but I find it hard to believe wheel horse would sell tractors that you could not level the deck with the smaller front wheels. Maybe it's the wrong leveling rod. Maybe add some more threads to the rod to crank it down farther.

zieg72

I don't think I'll ever be able to level the deck properly without either raising the front end or going to a 22" tire on the back that't a true 22".  Mine are over 23" at 12 PSI. Besides, I like the look of 8" rims. Vanity I guess.

Invoice sent

ScottR

Theroundhousernr, you may be right.  But with the leveling rod tightened to the point of starting to deflect the guide wheel shaft, I'm off over a 1/2 inch from level.  Taller tires should bring the front tip of the blade up a little.  II may also try 7" deck wheels for more height.  Anyone have a good source for those?

doc724

Unless you change to larger wheels on the rear of the deck as suggested by theroundhousernr, you will never get a higher cutting height.  The cutting height on most wheel horse decks is limited to about 3 inches.  My 5xi deck can get me up to 4 inches.  Every adjustment hole in the height adjustment braacket is about 1/2 inch in cutting height change.  If your deck is still out of level after you have cranked the trunion nut all the way in, you may have the end of the rod which goes into the rear deck wheel assembly in the wrong hole (I know 42 inch WH decks have two holes and only one will work right) or the rod is incorrect

• Like 2

jdleach

Getting 8" front rims for my 312-8 is pretty high up on my list too. Doc has it right on the deck height adjustment. You can only get so high. Since I want greater height on mine, I am considering going the larger deck wheel route.

My reasons for going with larger wheels and tires is for appearance, greater clearance, and ease of handling. The appearance thing needs no explanation, these Horses just look better that way. As a general rule, increased clearance is also a good thing for a variety of reasons. Lastly, many folks here on the forum have reported easier handling when they went to the 8" wheels.

Theroundhousernr

If its starting to bend the guide wheel shaft before the leveling rod is out of threads , something is wrong. Maybe check to make sure nothing is bent on the deck frame or maybe something is assembled incorrectly??

ScottR

I'll look at it some more. I did buy the rims from Zieg though. :)

ScottR

On another note, does anyone know where to get good 7" wheels for a 42" deck?

Theroundhousernr

Going to have to get creative here. Wheel horse did not sell these. Plenty of suppliers on the net. I would not buy cheapo push mower wheels. They are not made to take the weight

pfrederi

I used bigger wheels on my L107 deck for several years before she got retired from mowing duties.  I used the ones from Lowes (Arnold I think) they had white plastic hubs and only cost a few bucks...Lasted for a few years, cheap enough to toss and replace.

ScottR

Arnold makes some red metal wheels. No grease fitting, but if I can get a year or two out of them it would be worth it to me. The color is right to boot.

ScottR

I finally installed the 8" rims from Zieg after having them powder coated and installing 4-ply Carlisle turf saver tires.  I also installed 7" red deck wheels. This set up gives me 4" blade height so I can mow my yard with it during the dry months.  I also bit the bullet and installed a new Toro muffler and heat shield.  We'll see how my faux stainless paint holds up on the heat shield.

post-11077-0-32060700-1412553038_thumb.j

post-11077-0-91899300-1412553058_thumb.j

• Like 1

JC 1965

I finally installed the 8" rims from Zieg after having them powder coated and installing 4-ply Carlisle turf saver tires.  I also installed 7" red deck wheels. This set up gives me 4" blade height so I can mow my yard with it during the dry months.  I also bit the bullet and installed a new Toro muffler and heat shield.  We'll see how my faux stainless paint holds up on the heat shield.

Where did you get the 7" deck wkeels ?   

ScottR

They are Arnold all purpose wheels; not really designed for deck wheels but they should last for a couple of years.  I got them at Fleet Farm in MN but noticed yesterday that my local Tractor Supply also has them.