TrueRed88

16hp kohler acts like its going to blow up!

TrueRed88

My 416 with the 16hp points ignition Kohler is giving me fits. It will initially start up and throttle up fine but not soon after pulling it out of the garage it gives me problems. It happens mainly when you go to engage the PTO or put a load on it, it starts running rough like and sounds like its knocking and begins to smoke. As soon as u disengage the PTO or idle the engine down it smooths out. Go to throttle it up and about half way it falls on its face acting like its about to lock up. I cleaned the carb, changed the points and set to .020, put a known working coil on it, change the plug, tried an electric fuel pump, took the hood off to try and make it run cooler. Idk what it is. I used it for about a 45 minutes the first time I mowed and it started doing this. I'm at a loss. Any help is appreciated!

gwest_ca

I've seen a bad ignition condenser cause similar problems.

Garry

• Like 1

oldredrider

Yup, what Garry said. Make sure it is grounded well (bolted tight) and good connection to the -side of coil.

TrueRed88

I'll defiantly check it out. Thanks guys

JustinW.73

make sure the battery is good. I have a raider 12 with a k301 and before i fixed the charging system the battery would go low( since the engine spark runs off the battery) and run like what you said.

Fordiesel69

Could you post a video please.................

This issues sound interesting.  I would think electrical at first. 

km3h

You may be operating on one cylinder. While it is running pull the wire off of one of the plugs. It should drop some RPMs but still run. Then try the other one. If the engine dies then you know you have something wrong with one of the cylinders.

boovuc

Km3h: He has the older Kohler powered 416 that is a single cylinder. (Not an Onan).

• Like 1

km3h

Km3h: He has the older Kohler powered 416 that is a single cylinder. (Not an Onan).

Oops, sorry about that.

JustinW.73

Did you want me to post a video? I would be happy to.

Fordiesel69

yes, it is easier for us to tell what your issue is.

JustinW.73

Ok. I'll see if I can do it tomorrow. If not late Saturday. Finally found a snowblower for my raider 12 and going to pick it up Sat. :happy-jumpgreen: cant wait! :happy-bouncymulticolor:  But I can make a video off it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Rick3478
      By Rick3478
      For Sale NOS M12S Short Block, still in the original box.  I bought it pre-emptively when Kohler was phasing out the Magnums.  Thought I would have it on hand if one of mine needed it, or maybe I would find a tractor with a busted rod for cheap.  Neither of those things happened, the darn things just keep running.

Part number 77 522 35, probably built in late '05, it's the combination replacement kit Kohler made to fit WheelHorse or Gravely, machined to bolt directly into the Gravely transaxle, but also has spacers to mount WheelHorse PTO clutch/brake.  Also has a bunch of gaskets and seals packed with it, probably all you need to install it.

And it's heavy, so it's not practical for me to ship.  Buyer arrange to pick up near Elida OH, I can lift it about knee high to help load.

Asking $800 or might consider trade for a good center mount grader blade.

• mcfarmall
      By mcfarmall
      Tractor features Kohler 16hp cast iron engine, gently used 42" deck, concrete wheel weights, tire chains, new Chinesium carburetor, fuel lines and filter, new air filter, 2 new fwd/rev cams.  A starter,  some new gaskets, and miscellaneous parts.  New drive belt and all the belt idler assemblies.  Engine runs but smokes.  Great restoration candidate or a spare engine for you pullers out there.  Call, text or email for a private showing.   No offers considered unless made in person.  Buyer responsible for transportation.  Many more pictures to send to interested persons. 

• Jeff-C175
    • Jennifer
      By Jennifer
      Husband wants some advice… lol.  So we did an engine swap today on two suburbans because we could not get the one engine to spark all the time to get it running!  The engine ran last year before parking for the winter sleep…. Points were changed out for new the engine was cleaned to make good contact has new spark plug new coil condenser we even switched out the fly wheel today thinking maybe the magnet was weak…. Advice???   It would where are you out yanking on the recoil five or so times and maybe only get the points to fire twice if you’re lucky..  checked the gap and pull again… same thing over and over!  Thanks in advance!
    • johnnymag3
      By johnnymag3
      416-8  clean machine, one owner, M16 Kohler...............no smoke, knocks, etc. Only 771 Hours.

42" Rear Discharge deck   NO RUST    blades used 1 season

48" plow very nice condition, 

Wheel Horse weights, on tractor already

AG Tires on rear,used one season, front tires great condition. Rears are filled with beet juice, done at a Dealer professionally,  ....non toxic, non corrosive.  Traction Galore !!!

Machine is fully serviced, ready to work. NEEDS nothing....Look below for pictures

JOHN   845 797 5716 cell