"D"- Man

Kohler K482 Dual Coil ?

"D"- Man

Does the dual coil on a Kohler K482 deliver the voltage to the two plug wires simultaneously or sequentially?  Thanks, Mark.  P.S. Would this arrangement {note reverse mounting of ignition coil} work if the spark is delivered simultaneously?

post-3038-0-71002500-1406343312_thumb.jp

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Holy sheep dip...   :scared-eek: 

talk about bling...WOW!

pacer

They fire at the same time - one piston is down when the other fires (Harleys are the same)

• Like 1

1maidenfan

WOW :scared-eek:  now that's an engine :music-rockout:

• Like 1

km3h

Any special wiring needed to use the Harley coil? What about voltages and such?

"D"- Man

Yes there are two Harley dual coils,when it comes to DC voltages 6v and 12v you can only use the one designed for use with 12vdc I am also quite certain that they have different resistance ratings; some have 3 ohms, some have 5 ohms ect. I am unsure as to the ohms rating of the dual coil that was equipped on a Wheel Horse Kohler Twin. Mark.

pacer

I got my C-175 with what the owner said was a bad coil and what were supposedly 2 flea market Harley coils that he never got around to trying. The existing Kohler coil was indeed bad, and after a quick check both of the 'flea market' Harley coils threw a spark so I mounted one up and have been running the KT-17 happily on it for some time now.

• Like 1

Martin

the 5 ohm is the one you want,

some reading.....

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

km3h

I was looking on the net at Harley coils and noticed the difference in voltage and ohms. I was pretty sure that 12 volts would b e OK but not did not know which resistance would be right. I was hopping I could do this. If it is good enough for Harley it should work on a Wheel Horse. Thanks for the speedy replies and good advice. I will let you know how I make out later this week.

Martin

You are probably going to find the primary terminals are not marked + and -. Doesn't really matter how you hook the wires up as long as you don't mix them from one to the other. Just designate one of them a + and hook all your wires from the old coil + to that and then hook all the - wires to the other terminal.

km3h

Just bought one on EBay for $38.00 free shipping, brand new. Made by Gorilla Motors. Should do the trick. Thanks for all your help. HARLEY COIL 5 Ohm Big Twins & Sportsters '65-'79 dual fire Repl. H-D 31609-65A

Nick

Edited by km3h

Martin

That's the one I've used in the past.......

• Like 1

km3h

Does the dual coil on a Kohler K482 deliver the voltage to the two plug wires simultaneously or sequentially?  Thanks, Mark.  P.S. Would this arrangement {note reverse mounting of ignition coil} work if the spark is delivered simultaneously?

Is that a cover on the manifold? Wow, that is a beautiful engine. did you do that?

Coil came today. I will try to put it on tomorrow.

"D"- Man

Thanks Nick, yes it was actually made for a Harley Davidson with a dual coil twin cylinder. I bought a new old stock Kohler K582 that was made in 1995 and added some of the parts from my 18 Automatic's K482 along with some new parts. The chrome air cleaner cover is from a Kohler 17 HP series 2. I put a metal bodied mechanical fuel pump on and have a new old stock oil pressure sending unit and gauge to add.

• Like 2