new2horses

953 Just out of the shop

new2horses

Well its just out of the shop for the first cruise around the yard.

Pretty happy with it, overhauled the whole steering system including axle pivot pin. New piston, rings,rod, crank ground, and valve seats, three ribs on the front and the seat.

What y'all think? Anybody got an earlier serial number? 
 Hoping to see several of you at the Northeast Indiana Steam and Gas Association Show in Lagrange Indiana August 7th-10th Denise and I will be there with this 953 her Stitchin' Chic Cruiser and a few others.

Hint hint , Horsefixer, Martin, Steveasauras, sousakerry, smoreau, Kelly, Perry and others I am sure I am forgetting.

post-2940-0-83446800-1406337331.jpg

Edited by new2horses
  • Like 9

Ken B

Very nice..

"D"- Man

Quite a nice looking early 953, even looks like your original power grips are in pretty decent shape.  May we see a picture of the steering wheel?  Also does the engine shroud still have the Kohler 9.6 HP decal on it?  Thanks for posting, Mark.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Very nice tractor dave! Can't beat the look of an all original 953/1054. :)

AMC RULES

AWESOME!  :handgestures-thumbsup: Love it! 

Nothing short of  :wh: artwork. 

stevebo

Love the patina. Mine is about the exact patina as yours. The only thing I would do is to paint the rims off white of some shade you like and also paint the tires. This one is right up my alley in terms of original patina machines.- LOVE it .

new2horses

Mark,

I will post a picture of the steering wheel later today. Yes it is the original and still has the insert. Sorry to report there is no 9.6 decal.

Thanks Jake, hope to see you in Lagrange.

Edited by new2horses

Jake Kuhn

Mark,

I will post a picture of the steering wheel later today. Yes it is the original and still has the insert. Sorry to report there is no 9.6 decal.

Thanks Jake, hope to see you in Lagrange.

David, I would like to make it, but am probably going to miss it. We are most likely going to be harvesting on that day, but might get lucky and have that day off. 

Racinbob

I was going to mention to you that you should post that picture. That's calendar material.  If I make it to the show with the grandson it will probably be Thursday. What's the diameter of that steering wheel insert? I have what I believe is an insert and my best guess it's for a 953/1054 but I don't know.

clintonnut

What is the serial #? I have a 953 SN 672

new2horses

Charlie,

Mentioned in the tag for this post is the serial number it is 304.

Jake,

Surely hoping you can make it as we were looking forward to some blueberries :)

Lane Ranger,

Hoping to see you too.

ol550,

Cant leave you out, think its going to be good.

Bob,

Here is the steering wheel and dash, I do have one of Terry's decals on it as are the hood decals.

post-2940-0-14094100-1406387371_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Racinbob

That looks great. It sure blows my theory about the thingy I have being for a 953. I was thinking the 953 I had up north had a round insert. What I have is 2 1/2" in diameter with the logo molded in. It's similar to the GT-14 caps Glen makes but without the outer flange. It's flat.

jeremi3210

Wow that's a very nice 953 my sn is 62 533.

post-5643-0-50951600-1406393045_thumb.jp

• Like 1

new2horses

Then there is this one, wife says its hers. What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-2940-0-11618100-1406396401_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Racinbob

Different but I like it. let me guess, she has a sewing business out of the house?

Firpo701

Oh great! As if I'm not having a hard enough time at not starting too many projects at once, this just makes me anxious to start tearing into my 953! :-P Also going to check my sn tomorrow. Gotta love those big beefy rascals! Lol!

new2horses

Well I am going to try and get Denise's tractor up again this time with the correct orientation.

Firpo, What are you waiting on, just go do it?! ;).

I see your location, I have family from just down the river.

post-2940-0-58001600-1406462044_thumb.jp

• Like 1

953 nut

That looks great. It sure blows my theory about the thingy I have being for a 953. I was thinking the 953 I had up north had a round insert. What I have is 2 1/2" in diameter with the logo molded in. It's similar to the GT-14 caps Glen makes but without the outer flange. It's flat.

In mid 1963 the 953 started using the fan gear stearing and larger heahlights along with a change to the stearing wheel. :twocents-twocents:

• Like 1

Racinbob

Yea, I found that out when I had mine. I was going to convert mine to the in-house made steering but unfortunately it fell victim to the auction when we moved here. I never even started the restoration.

new2horses

953 nut,

I am certainly not the expert, but I can tell what I have seen. Remembering too that these things are 50 years old. My first 953 had the Ross steering sector just as does this one, it also had the same steering wheel as my 1257 and all the 1054's I have seen. I have never owned a 1054 so I can't say whether the steering wheel is fastened to the steering shaft via tapered splines and a nut or a straight shaft and spring pin.

This tractor has a later steering sector in it now, still had the original when I purchased it. The later units have a 3/4ths" pivot bolt versus a 5/8ths" on the earlier units, and the stud that follows the screw is larger. The unit I used was from one of those off brand machines, to the best of my knowledge they all have the same mounting bolt pattern, I did have to adjust the length of the tube and of course the steering shaft its self, I also used the later top guide bushing, as they are much more durable, I did save the old bushing holder and installed it just for the aesthetic value. 

Believe me when I say I am still learning.

I am continually amazed a some of the engineering that went into the WH machines. :)

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Here are a couple pictures of the original 953 Wheel Horse steering wheel.   You do not see many of these original steering wheels still on a 953.    I do not believe they used this steering wheel on all the 953's as I have seen too many 953's  with the later 1054 type wheel with the rounded cap/logo insert.

Glenn Pettit has a boat steering wheel in white just like this one.  Last year I gave Glen my  953 steering wheel insert  to use (the diamond shaped one was made out of brass and painted matte black and  had a dimond shaped logo decal on it in the center which Terry Dennis has already made up too) to make a mockup plastic insert for use as a replacement for any folks that have this diamond shaped steering wheel but no insert on their 953. 

post-339-0-42882600-1406508812_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-72383800-1406508848.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 6

312Hydro

Very nice..

X2! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

new2horses

Well all that time I spent polishing that coveted little piece of brass and now I learn that its supposed to be painted?!?! :) In the for what its worth department, there is still a little bit of black paint on the back side, the outer surface was painted gold when I bought the tractor.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post, the other 953 I owned also had the later style headlights.

Thanks much for the info Ralph.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

We have one 953 that has a 62-560 serial number on the shifter decal!  27 later than yours new2horses!