Machria

Empty fuel lines / carb after use? Or not?

Machria

I installed a fuel shutoff inline on my GT14. I recently had an issue starting the unit, which was either a clogged carb, or some kind of vapor lock. Anyway, I'm wondering if I can cause fuel issues by closing my fuel shutoff, and running the carb and lines dry (aka let it run out of gas with fuel turned off)??

I do this on my log splitter and small 5hp outboard motor and it works fine. Does the fuel pump on the WH not like running dry? Is it not self priming? Am I better off not running it dry?

Forest Road

I have a similar setup on a 314 and 522xi. They're kept at our family vacation house and really aren't used too frequently. I also installed a primer bulb, available at any marine supply and probably Walmart. After turning the gas on I give it 3-5 squeezes and they typically fire right up.

Snowmobileaddict

I'm going to have to copy your primer bulb idea on my 522xi.

Prior to winter storage, I shut off the fuel valve and let the carb bowl go dry by running the engine till it cuts off.  However, doing this makes it a real pain in the butt to get it running again in the spring.

I find myself having to "prime" the engine by adding a few droplets of gas down the carb throat until it draws fuel on its own and runs.  fuel pump is A-Okay, it just is a pain to get it going again after it is run dry.

brandonozz

Installing an electric fuel pump (when the mechanical quit me) on my tiller tracor has helped with getting it going as well.  Since I dont use this tractor as frequently I usually close the fuel valve and run the carb dry and the electric pump will fill the carb bowl back up in a few seconds when I need to get her going.

• Like 1

Machria

So to me like the WH fuel pump is NOT self priming.  hmmmmm....  I like the primer bulb idea, I'm going to do that.  thanks.

JustinW.73

No you won't cause any damage to the engine if you shut it off and run the carb out of fuel. In fact, thats actually good for it especially if you are storing it for winter so the gas doesn't get crappy and clog the ports in the carb.

Forest Road

I had considered an electric fuel pump. I prefer the primer bulb for 2 reasons.

1 cost $10-$15. Vs $50

2 it's manual and I can hear and feel it working.

My tractors are used at our vacation home. They probably see 10-15 hours a year on the meter. So for long term storage this has worked extremely well for me.

I also use $20 solar battery chargers from Northern Hydraulics. No more jump starts for this WH lover!