MikesWheelHorse

Having issues starting up my Wheel Horse 270-H / CV20S Engine

MikesWheelHorse

I think I have two different issues so I'll start with the first. To get my tractor running I do these steps, push forward by hand, push backwards, connect battery, touch the starter wire to the negative post and it will get the flywheel spinning sometimes.. It's kinda hit or miss. 

I got it running two times. The first time I let it run for a few minutes, the second time I drove it around the yard so I could tell everything works good. Now it wont start at all and its draining my jumper box. It just spins and spins if I'm lucky, if not I need to repeat the above steps to try and get it spinning again..

The tractor was sold to me because "it wouldn't start and probably needed a starter". Turns out the wiring was screwed up and now the wiring is like this: Small wire from center of solenoid hooked up to push button then to negative terminal on battery, power wire on solenoid to positive on battery, engine ground to negative on battery. 

I wish I had a pic but I forgot to snap one, the tractor is at my other place. I meant to get pics of the wiring..

Edited by MikesWheelHorse

gwest_ca

Do you have the model number and serial number? Or what year?

Garry

MikesWheelHorse

Do you have the model number and serial number? Or what year?

Garry

model number is 72106

1999 270-H Wheel Horse

cv20s Engine

gwest_ca

Here is the operator manual that has a wiring diagram. There is also a check list for a no-start condition.

Let us know what you find and hopefully someone can help you through this. Do you have a test light or voltmeter for testing purposes?

Garry