scotty

Hub/axel question

scotty

Is it possible to weld the hub to the axel or would it not work. I put a new hub on my wheel horse and now the hub has alot of play. or would it be better to get a whole new axel? This is on a b-80. Thanks!

Edited by scotty

AMC RULES

Try tapping another set screw into it. 

Racinbob

Yea, try the additional set screw. Besides future removal issues you would probably ruin the seal if you welded it on.

can whlvr

I did it once years ago,both the axle and hub were junk so I did it in a pinch,it worked good till I had a seal leak,then had to repair proper

stevasaurus

The 2nd set screw would go 90 degrees from the one that is there.  :)

tarcoleo

Welding the cast iron hub to the steel axle is bad metallurgy.  Go with second set screw 90 deg. from original.

scotty

Thanks for the replies but i forgot to mention i already tried another set screw and it seemed to help a little while but then the hub became loose is it possible to axle might be worn out?

stevasaurus

It's possible the axles are worn out...calipers would tell you that...same for the hub.  Take a look at your set screws...the bottom of them should have a cup indented...they may be worn out also...new set screw may be in order..  :)

duke

there really isn't a short-cut to this repair. As I said before, examine the hubs inside and examine the axels. I have replaced axels & hubs quite a bit,and your better off doing it correctly in the long run. I mentioned the bearings because they can be worn and that leads to a leaky seal too. However, I have been advised not to drive the old bearings inward, could do some damage! Sorry about that! I guess it all depends on how "good " a job you want to do, or if it's a quick fix just to be able an drive the tractor?

Edited by duke
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

:)

Edited by stevasaurus

Racinbob

Scotty, the way I see it is that the first thing you need to verify is what's causing the slop. It's either the axles or the hubs, It a perfect world there would be no slop when you slide the hubs on the axles. The woodriff key is there to keep the hub from spinning on the axle. The main purpose of the setscrews is to keep the hub on the axle, not to take up slop. Granted, some slop from wear can be helped by the setscrews but it sounds like you're beyond 'some' slop. Now, don't take this wrong but you said you put a new hub on and 'now' it has a lot of slop. Some B80's have 1" axles, some 1 1/8". Per chance?????

Edited by Racinbob

scotty

I took the hubs off and the hole the key way goes in is worn out im not sure what the best route to go is. The new hub didnt increase slop though it helped a little bit but i think the keyway hole is the main cause now. I want it fixed right but im not very good with transaxles haha.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by scotty

stevasaurus

Can you post some pictures.  You can keep those axles and get the key way welded closed and have a new key way cut at either 90 or 180 degrees.  Or pick up some used axles.  Either way, this would require splitting the trans.  Some pictures would really help here.  :eusa-think:

scotty

I sadly dont have any way of taking pictures but is opening a new keyway somthing i could do by myself im not very experianced with taking apart transmissions. Also does toro happen to sell new axels or would i be stuck buying a used one?

Racinbob

No, you won't be able to cut a new keyway without the right equipment. I'm sure somebody here can put you on to somebody that can do it for you. I wouldn't be concerned about being 'stuck' with used axles. Again, I'm sure you can find some here. Don't be afraid to open up the transmission. It really isn't difficult. Yet again, you'll find plenty of help here. You can also download the service manual that will walk you through it...........here. Am I repeating myself?? :)

stevasaurus

I'm sorry...I can't believe you do not know some one that can help you post pictures of the axles.  I sat in the doctor's office today for over an hour, and everyone in there (about 10 people) were all connected to the net.  They were all sitting there with there little cell thingy's.  Post them on Face Book and give us a link if that is possible.  It is almost impossible to give you a direction without seeing what we are talking about. :eusa-think:

duke

There are lots of axles on ebay listed by size and part number and fairly inexpensive too. You have your model number? Go to parts tree.com look up Toro -Lawn & Garden Tractors, scroll down the huge list and find your model. Under transaxles you can get the part number. simply enter that on ebay and one or even several will show up with pictures of the keyway and stuff. Plus there are a pile of people here that would have axles. I have one left that is 1-1/8 diameter, longer than normal for a D-series and it is just sitting there like a paper weight! I'd look it up for you if you gave me the model number no  problem! I know B-80 is the type. Example model 1-0145 is a B-80 1974

Under Component Parts Trans part 2-27 is number 101880.

• Like 1

racinfool40

I have about all the parts you would need to re-build the trans and have a pile of axles..But would need alot more info..What trans are we working with here..axle diameter and axle length...only way to get the length of the axle is to split the trans....or I have had a couple guys ship me their transmissions I re-build them and ship them back thru Fastenal. Their is plenty of options.

I buy up used or un-wanted transmissions at about every swap meet I attend just for this purpose..Alot of the parts are No Longer Available thru Toro..

• Like 1

scotty

Thanks for all the help i know someone that can cut new keyways in.

-bye.

stevasaurus

bye  :)

Racinbob

It's OK Steve. :sad: You have other friends.