aclark410

Is this worth anything?

aclark410

My father has had his old Wheelhorse Commando 8 sitting around for years and finally wants to get rid of it. He isn't really looking to make much money off of it but doesn't want to give it away to someone else who is just buying it to re-sell it for more. Anyone have any idea of its ballpark value? It still runs and appears to have all the necessary parts, but it's not in the greatest condition paint wise. 

AMC RULES

Happen to know what year your Commando is?

:wwp:         :WRS:

KC9KAS

:WRS:, and :wwp:  

rmaynard

If it's a true Commando 8, it's a 1968. I bought mine for $150.00 back in 2011. It was running, came with a deck and some spare parts.

A picture of yours would be helpful. If you can look on the dash tower, just under the dash, the ID tag should be located there. Post the ID number. Commando 8 should be a 1-4831.

Geno

I have one of those as well. Is it just the tractor or does it have a deck?  :)

kudzu3

We'd sure like to see It :)

aclark410

Here are a few photos. My father says it does have a deck...

01212_gao3iMgKv5s_600x450.jpg

00F0F_b6ozgK8dzn7_600x450.jpg

00404_fQzbK5Fm0Dq_600x450.jpg

Geno

Looks awfully good, straight + clean for something that looks like it's never been touched or restored.  I wouldn't sell it too cheap, the deck alone is probably worth 150.00.  Tractors seem to be plentiful but good solid decks are getting harder to find every day.  I could use several myself.   :) 

jdleach

Much of the value of an old Horse has to do with location. Here in Indiana where they were made, your tractor may fetch $250 on the outside.

Where is Red Lion?

jackhammer

Shouldnt have much trouble trying to sell that , nice tractor

aclark410

Thanks to everyone for your insight. Red Lion is in south-central Pennsylvania. 

eagle1899

I am not to far from you.

How much are you looking to sell it for?

aclark410

I think he would be happy with $200. I will post in the for sale section. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• isak_svart
      By isak_svart
      Hi all!

I'm a new member from Sweden taken the first ride of the year just yesterday. I have a Commando 7 which I am upgrading in a very slow pace to a Commando 8 buying one piece at the time as they pop up.

I've just finished a transmission overhaul, replacing wheel axles, seals and bearings. Thanks to Terry M for supplying the axles, I could not have found them in Europe.

Currently the seat is at the upholsterers. I've got a seat cover with slight damages from Fun Engineer, thank you very much. The cover will be used as is or as a template, it is not decided yet.  

Also, I have new bolted front wheels laying around waiting for mounting, that might be the next thing done to this horse.

Best regards,
      Johan

• Ed Kennell
      By Ed Kennell
      The 520H snow blower project is finished waiting for snow and the MTD 700 is cleaned and oiled and actually mowed the lawn Sat.

So, today was the Commando's turn.

This I what I started with.  It actually runs and drives.

After about 2 hours, I had this.

An hour later

Some of the crud I found

Wonder how long it's been since this horse saw some maintenance. Hard to believe it could actually run in this condition.

• Fun Engineer
      By Fun Engineer
      Many of you have seen my one piece black with white pleat seat covers that use a draw string designed for the Lawn Rangers and other mid 60's Wheel Horse tractors.

I had a request from one of our members to produce a "two piece" seat that would fit the metal seat pan of the 857 and Commando series of tractors with the two piece interior  sheet metal seat frame. I'm happy to announce that I will have a couple of these seats available for the 2014 Wheel Horse Collectors Show in Pennsylvania.  
      PICTURES!
      Uninstalled seats.

Here's a picture of an original seat on my 857 so you can see what it will look like and two pictures of a one piece that was made with the same materials.

These are the last seat covers that I will produce.
      So if you’ve been interested in finishing off that restoration project you worked so hard on, now is the time to buy that seat. Order and pay for yours today and I’ll deliver to the show for free (no shipping charge).

These faithfully reproduced seat covers were made using high quality marine grade vinyl designed for years of dependable service.  An original seat cover from an 857 was used as a pattern to assure accuracy and fit.  Materials were chosen that most closely match the original vinyl material used in the 60’s for color, style and texture. In order to save costs on shipping, foam is not included but is available at stores like Joann Fabrics or Michaels.  I have also used three layers of ½ inch carpet pad purchased at Lowes.  One or one and a half inch works well, depending upon its firmness.  Cut the foam to fit the different angles of the seat bottom and back. I use 3M Upholstery adhesive and glue the foam to the metal pan. Using adhesive is only an option and not required. Do not use adhesive  on the vinyl except where the vinyl attaches to the interior sheet metal frame as it can bleed through.

I accept checks (with the appropriate waiting period), cash or PAYPAL  at burleyfarm@yahoo.com
       Price:    $56 shipped east of the Mississippi in the continental US.
                      $57 shipped west of the Mississippi in the continental US. OR,
      $50 prepaid and delivered to the 2014 Wheel Horse Collectors Show in Pennsylvania, June 19-21, 2014.
      Remember, these are the last seats that I will produce.  There will be a limited number of seat covers available (2 or 3) at the show so order yours today.