diamondred

Hydro vs 8-speed.

diamondred

I'm looking to pull a plow. I have both options to use one or the other. I beginning to find out hydro's don't make good pullers. I would appreciate any/all input you have.

And which ever way I go, is there a way I can lock the axles up to be full time pos. traction?

Racinbob

I've always preferred the manuals but that's just me. Hydros do have their advantages and I don't see where there would be any problem pulling a plow. Short of opening up the tranny you can't lock the axles. I do remember an early 60's Bolens my wife's Grandfather had. It had a lever that locked up the axles. Pretty cool.

SousaKerry

What hydro do you have?  Pre-1981 were Sundstrand and generally considered to be not as strong as the later Eaton 1100's  But both are capable of pulling a single bottom plow.  Usually if you are pulling too hard with an Eaton they will just stop moving if you can keep traction.  But I have pulled many stumps with mine with no problem.

diamondred

518h with a manual lift...

pacer

I dont have a manual tranny, but over the 30+ years I have had my D-180 with a Sundstrand and it has pulled stuff that I would not have thought possible. When it reaches its limit it just spins the tires....

Ken B

Eaton 700 is the weakest of the 3 mentioned. I wouldn't pull with that one...

Hodge71

Eaton 700 is the weakest of the 3 mentioned. I wouldn't pull with that one...

Yeah.....what he said!!!

cyrus

i have an 89 520-h that had been used to plow a 2.5 acre garden with an 8" single bottom plow for 15 years with zero issues. that thing will lose traction before the hydraulic motor or pump are over loaded. 

Forest Road

Yeah.....what he said!!!

3x what they said!!!!!

aaubrey96

I have an eight speed that I love and it will pull anything that it can keep traction for. Never had the belt slip. On the other side my hydro does happen to be an eaton 700 and that was enough to scare me out of hydros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leeave96

I have a 314-8 and a 520H that I plow with. Both are GREAT - but, since I put Matt's foot control kit on my 520H, it is an easier tractor to plow with. Here's why:

The foot control frees up your right hand to use on the steering wheel, you can twist and look back without having a hand on the hydro lever. Makes plowing much easier. Also with the foot control kit, you can slow down when starting to spin and then resume speed once traction is gained - all while looking over your shoulder at the plow and wheels - NICE!

The other advantage to the 520H is the hydro lift. My plow is a 12 inch Brinley and it is heavy! The hydro lift snaps it up like it's nothing.

Last spring I ran this combo hard in my garden and it worked like a champ! Nothing sounds better than a smooth running Onan getting into the governor on a hard pull!

I don't know that I'd plow with an Eaton 700 unless the ground is just real sandy and then I'd think twice.

Here are a few pics of plowing last Spring.

post-6085-0-42363700-1406131853_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-37792500-1406131978_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-23018300-1406132021_thumb.jp

Good luck,

Bill