Straight From the Horse's Mouth - The final chapter

stevasaurus

6 SPEED #5060 10 pinion L/S Trans rebuild

I finally got a chance to rebuild a transmission with a hi/low mechanism.  This is a 6 speed #5060 transmission with the 10 pinion limited slip differential.  Notice the brake shaft comes out the hole closest to the axle housing.  The 8 speeds brake shaft comes out of the cluster shaft hole.  I did a series of videos for this thread along with some pictures.  The videos are split up between different phases of rebuilding...ie...the differential, the hi/low shift mechanism, the rest of the gears 1 & 2 (my batteries died in the camera).  Most of the information will be in the videos...be advised that I did some struggling while doing these videos and I left them as is because it is not always easy.  :)  Hope this helps you guys.

Just got the trans split.  I use a 1" old wood chisel to start and then work the case apart with a pry bar.

post-818-0-18193600-1405538902_thumb.jpg

A couple shots after getting the case half off...trans is in neutral.

post-818-0-69075500-1405539576_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-68987000-1405539620_thumb.jpg

The trans case works as a work bench for the differential...very cool :)

post-818-0-36655300-1405539741_thumb.jpg

Here is the reason the trans needed to be opened.  An axle gear lost it's teeth and the pieces were lodged in the pinions.

post-818-0-20949900-1405539987_thumb.jpg

Finished and back together.

post-818-0-00194700-1405540089_thumb.jpg

The rest are the videos...1st on is the differential...

Next 2 are dealing with the hi/low mechanism...1st one taking apart and the 2nd on putting together...be nice...it was my first time.  :)

Now, 2 videos putting the rest of the trans together...batteries died just before I finished the first video.

Thanks for looking

Edited by stevasaurus
added tags
  • Like 9

This is going to be a well followed thread by a lot of folks here Steve. Your videos are great. Now that i have the basic knowledge of the 3 speeds it will really help in understanding the 6 speeds. I'm looking forward to learning more from you.

• Like 1

just watched the differential video, Steve. nicely done. i like the fact that you didn't edit it in anyway, it shows us through your work what to look out for and what problems we may come across while assembling. 

going to watch the others now!!

so does this mean that you have now joined the hi/lo rebuilders club?

• Like 2

Great Vids Steve!!!!..Told ya they wern't to Bad!!!!...

• Like 1

These videos are going to keep a lot of Wheel Horses from being sent to the glue factory.

If anyone needs to open a transmission, they will find these very informative. Nice work!

• Like 1

These are more designed for the guys doing it the first time...not so much for the guys that have done them before.  I just know that some members have been looking for videos involving the hi/low mechanism...while not the same as an 8 speed...the principle is the same and will work.  r356c, I hope you are right and it gives someone the confidence to tackle these transmissions and fix them...rather then just melt them down.  It really is pretty simple to fix up and give a horse another 40 years.

This is what is crazy...if you add up the minutes that I spent doing the videos...it comes to just over 40 minutes to rebuild this trans.  Without the camera and the explanations, this can be done in about 20 to 30 minutes.  You do not need any special tools and fixing this horse costs like $65 and you got a clean, good trans.  I replaced the outer axle bearings, all the seals, the trans gasket, the one axle gear and picked up an input pulley, a new dog point set screw, and new nuts on the differential bolts.  A definite feel good. :)

• Like 5

I think that everyone should get a chance to play with the detente balls and spring...push those things together and try to get a shaft by them...while sliding out an Allen wrench and keeping the setup together.  :bow-blue::)

• Like 3

And chasing one of the little balls across the garage floor trying to stop it before it finds the exact geographic center of the truck parked in there.

• Like 2

And chasing one of the little balls across the garage floor trying to stop it before it finds the exact geographic center of the truck parked in there.

I bought 100 ball bearings from McMaster  I don't even bother to look for the stupid little detent balls when they shoot out and roll away!!! :grin:

• Like 5

:handgestures-thumbup: Excellent videos, Steve, hope they will be  pinned in trans.   :handgestures-salute:

• Like 1

Thanks Steve..I wouldn't even think about opening a tranny, but after watching your tutorial videos, I think I'm ready to try it.

• Like 2

Great videos Steve. Very informative and you know they say a pic is worth a thousand words but a video is worth much more. I have a question, do you use any kind of sealant on the trans gasket ?  Thank you for the taking the time to make and share these videos. Many of us will benefit from them.    :thumbs2:

• Like 1

Jerry, I do not use any gasket sealer on the trans gasket...they have been OK for me so far.  :)

Great videos, not sure if i need to open mine up or not. I am a heavy  Equipment mechanic for Mustang Cat here in Houston and even without the video I thing I could do one easily. But sure is nice to see one done so I don't make a mess of things..My question is, where can we get parts? I have a 1967 1267 machine that I am doing a complete frame up restore and was going to crack it open to see if it needed anything. The problem being if it needed something where to get the parts...As always so glad to be a supporter of a GREAT forum..

You might as well open her up. If it needs something you would have to open it anyways and checking it out is a good idea. Parts can be found right here. Racinfool40 has some parts as well as others. Just given a shout and I'm sure you'll find them. :)

I am currently rebuilding a c125. What is used as a seal between each side of the transmission if anything. I ask because i am concerned that I may have blown water in while pressure washing it. Thanks

The gasket is Wheel Horse # 3912.  TORO dealer has them for about $6.00.  :)

Thanks for the vids they are very informational me and my dad might split it open to check it out soon taking it out might be a pain though, thanks for the feedback:)

• Like 1