Nathanielperz

K301 Knocking

Nathanielperz

Hey everyone my 1276 has its original K301 on it and I noticed that when the tractor is sitting idling there is a knocking sound coming from the engine? I am kind of concerned... I just want to know what this is.

Please bring me good news!!!  :pray:

(i will accept the bad news if i have to...   :crying-yellow: )

Thanks in advance, Nate

gregg'shorses

Probably from the connecting rod with the large end on the crankshaft being worn.  Best to take apart and mic the parts and compare to specs in the service manual   . http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2379.pdf       If the connecting rod lets loose it will cost more to fix.

Edited by gregg'shorses

WH nut

Knocking is never good, time to open her up.

Nathanielperz

I was afraid of that... should I not run it anymore until I get it fixed?

To be honest I have NO idea what im doing when it comes to the inside of an engine...

Im gonna need everyones help and possibly a video/ step by step instructions... :laughing-rolling:

Thanks again , Nate

Nathanielperz

I read the trouble shooting and it says "low crank case oil" and/or "excessive engine load"

I just put new motor oil in it in April or May...

The tractor was stopped so it wasn't under load...

Fordiesel69

Please make a video.  We can then tell you with better accuracy.

MalMac

Not saying it is, but it has been my experience that a knock at low RPM has been a good sign of Connecting Rod starting to go south. Like said before tear it down and check. Kohler's are very prone to when the rod wears well past the accepted limits the rod will decide to exit the block. I am not saying that's what it is for sure, but if it were me I would check it. The Kohlers are very simple engines to work on and all the help form Red Square will guide you right a long.

WH nut

One thing is for sure. If it is a rod and you continue to run it you will find out soon enough. It may even put a window in the block so you can have a look inside.

• Like 2

Nathanielperz

Ok i will try to make a video today and i will post it on my channel..

Thanks, Nate

Nathanielperz

Here is the link to a video of the knocking its kind of faint but once you hear it... its clear as day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJlY_LO5j8o

Be sure to check out some of my other videos as well...

Thanks, Nate

Edited by Nathanielperz

Fordiesel69

WoW!!!  yes that is a knock worth a tear down.  Its old, tired, but very rebuildable.  The rod is most likely the issue, but there could also be piston slap as well.

Nathanielperz

So how do I fix it?

Jparkes43

Well to start off a tear down take the engine away from the tractor then take it apart and look for worn or scored parts or parts that are loose then buy a rebuild kit and rebuild it.

James

Edited by Jparkes43

C-101plowerpower

first of, that is one hell of a knock, second, take the engine off of the tractor, or leave it on and clean it, then, if you haven't taken the engine off the tractor take it off and put it on the workbench(make sure you've got the oil drain on the edge of the bench) and drain the oil, while draining the oil you can start taking some sheet metal off, take everything that may get damaged when you lay the engine on it's side or upside down off, get the sump and head off, may be easy to clean the inside of the engine now, turn out the bolts that hold the con rod in place and push the rod and piston out, then post some pics here

hope this helps a bit

Koen

Nathanielperz

OK thanks everyone I will let you know when I start taking it apart...

JustinW.73

Before you take it apart try this. Take the points out completely with the push rod. clean them with a rag and put it all back in. Try gaping the points to .17 and try this. I have a raider 12 with a knock and so I did this and it had no knock anymore. :) Sounds brand new and its really easy and worth it before you tare into it.

Edited by JustinW.73

Nathanielperz

ok I will definitely look into it but im restoring the tractor so I figure while its all apart I will go through the engine and replace all the seals and piston and the connecting rod with a  rebuild kit on ebay...

Thanks, Nate

Molon_Labe

Nate, if you buy a rebuild kit off ebay I'd suggest you get one with the 3 piece oil ring.

Nathanielperz

Ok I will...

Before you take it apart try this. Take the points out completely with the push rod. clean them with a rag and put it all back in. Try gaping the points to .17 and try this. I have a raider 12 with a knock and so I did this and it had no knock anymore. :) Sounds brand new and its really easy and worth it before you tare into it.

What is the push rod? What does it look like? Can I get some pics please...

Thanks, Nate

rmaynard

The push rod is the little rod that comes out of the block to push the points open.

Item N below:

post-2221-0-14983900-1406223795.jpg

Fordiesel69

Keep in mind the crankshaft may need to be machined.  I would bet money it does.  Do not just "slap" a rebuild kit into an engine as good as that.  A starter generator K301 is quite a bit more rare than a gear starter version.  Worth doing right for sure.