JustinW.73

How lift works on a rear tiller

JustinW.73

I have a raider 12 with a rear tiller and I have everything to hook it up to the tractor but I don't have anything to to go from the lift handle to the tiller and I don't know if it is a cable or maybe a rod and where it would go. If anyone has a tiller on a tractor like mine and could take some pictures if possible would be much appreciated.

zieg72

is what you need

Racinbob

I don't think that rock shaft, etc. is going to work on your Raider. Do you have a 7-1211 tiller?

JustinW.73

This is what the identification tag says: 87-36TL01-04734        8051.

Racinbob

What you have there is a late 70's tiller. That model did come with a rock shaft. But again, I don't think the rock shaft will fit your Raider. You can go without it.

JustinW.73

What is the rock shaft. So can I just run a cable from the lift handle under the seat and have it connect to the tiller?

Racinbob

It mounts under the seat and the lift cable connects to it then another cable or short piece of chain goes from it to the attachment. Sure, you can just run a cable. It will be a little harder to lift but no big deal.

JustinW.73

Ok. Thanks for your help.

Racinbob

You're quite welcome. Take a look at the manual for that tiller in the manuals section. I don't remember the 'geometry' of that tiller but you may want to turn the lift plate (part #51) around so the cable will connect higher on the tiller. Once you get the cable installed just see what it looks like and then decide. By the way :WRS:  Stick around a while. If a Wheel Horse question can't be answered here it simply can't be answered.

JustinW.73

Got a cable hooked on. Works great. Was such a pain to get it though

Racinbob

Good deal Justin. Just curious but did you decide to flip the lift plate around? I had the older style tiller that had a pulley assembly mid mounted just in front of the transmission which was a pain. I eliminated that and used the one belt setup like the newer style. My lift utilized the slot hitch, a piece of bar stock and a short chain. Worked great.

JustinW.73

No I never tried to flip the plate around. I also still need to get one of those things that you crimp onto the cable for a stop because the cable was just a couple inches too long.

Racinbob

You could use a crosby cable clamp available just about anywhere. Not as clean as the crimped style but very functional.

JustinW.73

Ya I'll have to see what options my local stores have

JustinW.73

Got it working great. Lifts off the ground about 7-8 inches and the cable has some slack when its on the ground so it can dig into the ground. Can't wait to try it out! :happy-bouncyblue:

Edited by JustinW.73

Racinbob

Great Justin. Rather than lift the tiller at the end of each pass I usually just disengaged the PTO and the tiller would walk out of the ground. It would cut the sod a little if I turned around sharply but I didn't care. When I got back to the tilled area I just engaged it on the fly and it dug itself back in the ground.

JustinW.73

Thats a neat idea. usually I do it the complete opposite.