halseyn

How do you remove roll pins from differential

halseyn

Hey guys!

Tore apart my B-80, with the 4 speed, 4 pinion and realized that in addition to the four bolts it has four rollpins.  How do I remove these?  I have pieces of gear teeth in the case and it came from the differential gears.  Any advice is appreciated!

daveoman1966

You can buy a good 6-pc set of Roll Pin Punches at Sears for about $20 bux.  I use them very often.  These special-made punches have a smal '***' on the end of them that centers them on the roll pin.  Sized from 1/8 thru 5/16" or so.  You shouldn't use just any ole punch...they will tend to flare out the end of the rolll pin instead of driving it out.

jdleach

Dave is correct. The only thing I would add, is that you should NOT go cheap on a pin punch set. Get good quality. Some roll pins fit quite tight, and there isn't many things more frustrating than bending a cheap pin punch into a pretzel try to get one out.

• Like 1

squonk

Another option for stubborn pins is a roll pin punch designed to be used with an air hammer. I have one from my import car days and it works awesome.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Use the right punch and they come out real easy...these things have lived in oil...they are not rusted.  :)  Put the differential in a vise, have someone hold the axle from turning and tap it out. 

kudzu3

Sirs, if I may ask, for future reference, where are the roll pins in the trans?

halseyn

Thanks for everyones' input!  I guess the next question is once I replace the broken gears, do I need to replace the roll pins and bolts for the differentional with new ones?  I plant to replace all the needle bearings in the rest of the rebuild.  Any advice by folks that have rebuilt these 4 speeds is certainly appreciated.

daveoman1966

Older 4-sp trans had a roll pin in the end of the axle, inside the differential.  Here is one.  I think this was a Commando 8 trans that I parted out a few years ago...memory is fading.  When it failed, the po was creative with a 1/4" bolt / screw.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I would replace the roll pins and for sure the nuts on the differential bolts.  The bolts should be OK.  Ace and/or TSC has those parts for cheap.  :)

roll pin should be 1/4" x 1 1/2"

Edited by stevasaurus

pfrederi

If the existing bolts are Grade 5 (3 marks on the head) I would replace Them with Grade 8 (6 marks)

Racinbob

Paul, there was something on here about grade 8 being more brittle than grade 5 and not the best choice in some applications. Not contradicting you but a question out of curiosity cuz I don't know.

gwest_ca

Grade 8 was one of the upgrades according to this along with washers and nuts

Garry

stevasaurus

The grade 5 bolts should be OK if you are using the horse for what it was designed to do...I think guys that are into pulling like to change them out for the 8's.  The thing to be careful about here is the length of the bolt.  The ones in there are 3 1/4"...if you buy off the rack, they are either 3" or 3 1/2"...you have to have the right length of bolt in the differential so it does not interfere with the gears.  You may be able to order the right length from a place like Fastenal, or you would have to cut them to the proper length.  Your choice.  :)

I see Garry and I posted at the same time.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus

Racinbob

Thanks guys. That makes better sense to me.