Cutlas3391

What oils do you put in your Wheel Horse Tractors?

Wheel-N-It

Mike, to attain a good minimum lifespan I can't see where running detergent vs. non-detergent oil matters in the long run as long as the oil is changed every 25 hours or less. You and I both know these old Kohlers run for decades when they have recieved even just the basic of maintenance. Time has proven this. For my own personal preferance I have been sold on LE for years. I seriously encourage you to give it a try, and see what you think for yourself.

• Like 1

squonk

Would there be an issue running oil with detergent in an engine that used straight 30? For instance the C165 calls for straight 30 SC and Napa only had a straight 30 SB. The fellow at napa told me that I shouldn't use an SB rated oil when it called for SC. He then told me that I could run the 10W30 with detergent with a SN rating.

Detergent suspends the dirt in the oil while non detergent settles the dirt to the pan. Would this cause issues with the engine as long as the oil is changed regularly?

Go back to that Napa and tell them to get rid of the old stuff. I can't believe they had SB oil. Old stuff. I've run Detergent since I was a kid and Kohler recommends detergent. Runing Napa oil is fine. Made by the same folks who make Valvoline. We ran it in our delivery trucks (Ratty S-10's  :) ) and they all went over 250,000 miles unless they were crashed  :) . Ford Rangers? Well they wouldn't last past 80,000.

Wheel-N-It

Go back to that Napa and tell them to get rid of the old stuff. I can't believe they had SB oil. Old stuff. I've run Detergent since I was a kid and Kohler recommends detergent. Runing Napa oil is fine. Made by the same folks who make Valvoline. We ran it in our delivery trucks (Ratty S-10's  :) ) and they all went over 250,000 miles unless they were crashed  :) . Ford Rangers? Well they wouldn't last past 80,000.

I'm not disagreeing with anything here said by Mike. But I do want to add that accordinng to the "Petroleum Quality Institute of America" type SB oil is not recommended for any gasoliine powered engine built after 1951. So laughing to myself I'm thinking an old Kohler K engine is probably not much different than any other gasoline engine built in 1951. Anyway, without rambling on or being any kind of an expert on the subject I have to lean on recommending a top quality oil such as LE that produces an oil that is recommended for the old air cooled, splash lubricated, and air cooled pressure lubricated engines such as the Kohler K's and KT's, and Magnums.

AMC RULES

Getting any clearer now... :scratchead:

on what type of oil to choose?

• Like 2

squonk

That's kinda what I meant. What the heck is SB oil doin on the shelf ????  :confusion-scratchheadblue:  :confusion-scratchheadblue: Those older engines pre 51 ish used babbit bearings and I think you have to be careful of what you put in those.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

papaglide

Thanks for the replies! I think that I will stay away from 30 weight. I really feel better now about buying the 5qt jug of 10W30. With detergent of course!

DanPatch

I noticed no one else mentioned STP oil treatment I add this to engine and gearbox oil it gives the oil a sticky feel. Much like the paraffin idea. I have used it for years as my dad did before me and I seem to have good luck with it. Also the stickiness helps when assembling a trans. Kind of holds things in place to aid assembly.

Digger 66

Getting any clearer now... :scratchead:

on what type of oil to choose?

:)

Cutlas3391

This is the best oil lol post-8224-140528571687_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

LFDRET

I was told if your motor has a filter use detergent - if not use non detergent.  Detergent oil suspends the dirt in the oil so that the oil filter can filter it. while non detergent settles the dirt to the pan. - that said just use a good oil and change it aleast once a year. 

shallowwatersailor

Not advertising but this and a Napa Platinum filter is what I am using in the new-to-me 523Dxi.The OE filter is a little bitty thing less than three inches tall. I was able to cross-reference to the Napa (Wix) filter which is a 1/2" taller. It allows for a little more oil to circulate.

post-3066-0-33337400-1405288124_thumb.jp

C-85

We used to sell  flat,550x550,075,f.jpgand had great luck with it.  I'm not sure if they make this anymore as I haven't seen any of it around. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

I had heard for a long time to always use the same oil.  So I would go to Wally World and one time they'd have Texaco, and the next time they'd have something else.  So I started using the Wal-mart oil, because I figured they would always have that.  I'm not sure how good it is yet, but I haven't had any problems with it and I've used it for a few years.  I'm not sure who makes it for Wal-mart, but it has the same rating as all the other brand name oils, so that is why I've started using it and so far I haven't had any problems.

I've seen some other writers have mentioned Quaker State.  A long time ago we carried "Quaker City" oil, which was made from recycled oil.  I

:confusion-confused:

wonder if anyone else has heard of this or oil made from old oil?

Another thing about Quaker State is that they used to make "Golden Chassis" grease, which I really liked, I wish i knew where I could buy some more of it or an equivalent.  We have a lot of rust issues in New England, so I coat a lot of parts with grease and the Golden Chassis seemed to stay on stuff better than anything I've ever used.

I've enjoyed reading about this topic as oil is the blood of all our engines! :)

C-85

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Always Mobil 1 10-30 in the engines and a good grade of dino 10-30 that's reasonably priced for the the transaxle. Changed yearly along with all filters, rinse repeat.

47JDG

Just use anything that is 30w for your air cooled small engine (Straight 30, 5w30, 10w30, etc. on sale or whatever) Even if you get the off brand - store brand it's still light years a head of the old oil technologies that were available when these tractors were new (most people don't seem to realize that). The key is to just change your oil often. Brand is of no major importance today in my opinion. I have old farm equipment and machines that gets used often. I have preferences for each piece of equipment, but it comes down to just basically greasing everything and changing your oil often. 

• Like 1

Saber

Mobil 1 in everything!