Cutlas3391

What oils do you put in your Wheel Horse Tractors?

Cutlas3391

I was curious in what other member's use for oils in there tractors. I want to know what everybody uses for there transmission oil,tractor oil,rear end oil,etc? Even include tractors models and what you put in them to keep them on going.

I thought this would be a neat topic...post-8224-140504968907_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

userj8670

I like rotella T1 for engine oil and hydro fluid I use Hy-tran

• Like 1

squonk

Engines Rotella 30 W Hydros Mobil 1 and gear drives Valvoline 80/90 synethetic

• Like 1

rmaynard

Shell 30W non-detergent in all the engines (year round), 80/90 or 85/140 in Uni-Drives. Whatever is available at Walmart at the time I need it. Since I only have one hydro (1975 C-120), it gets topped off with 10W30 motor oil.

KATO

AMSOIL synthetic in everything i own for over 20 years now ...engine oil,

gear oil ,trans fluid ,2 cycle... etc :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Valvoline -I use in all my tractors!

Racinbob

For over 35 years I've used Valvoline products in all my motors with zero issues. Conventional in the tractors and now using Syn Power in the truck. Tractor transmissions get Valvoline too. I don't have any hydros.

• Like 1

Digger 66

Straight 30 Autozone branded engine oil & Wal-mart's "Supertech" brand full-synthetic diff & gearbox lube in the appropriate weight .

baerpath

Cen-Pe-Co Gard-N-Go 30 weight in mowers, Super Race 50 in the Pullers and  HY-TORQUE gear lube red with TEMP TAC in all rears

PaulC

a lot NY members on this thread so far so ill jump in also. I also use autozone brand 30w for the engines all year round and when I first got my 312-H I changed the hydro oil and used 10w-30 which im pretty sure was also autozone brand.

JackC

Cen-Pe-Co Gard-N-Go 30 weight in mowers, Super Race 50 in the Pullers and  HY-TORQUE gear lube red with TEMP TAC in all rears

Never herd of Cen-Pe-Co before but here is one place where you can buy it:

http://www.midwestsupercub.net/MWSC%20Catalog.pdf

WheelHorse_of_course

Partially off topic, but an interesting factoid from back when WHP was still young.

Back in the 50's and prior Pennsylvania motor oil was considered to be better than oil from other parts of the USA. This was the reason that "Quaker State" and "Penzoil" chose those names. My father always got the cheapest Pennsylvania oil he could find (back then he had real beaters some of which need a half-quart or more of oil at every filllup!

I just did some digging on wikipedia and find nothing definite there. It may have simply been marketing hype by the older oil companies when sources in Texas and other areas became available.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Years ago I heard similar things about Pennsylvania oils. But on the other had I also heard it had more sulfur in it and left deposits. I never took any of it seriously.

I got hooked on Valvoline in a bit of an odd way. Back in the early 70's they had cool rebates. Stuff like tackle boxes, etc. So I started buying it because of the rebates. Over the years I learned that it was doing a great job protecting my motors. For example, I had a straight 6 in a Ford pickup that I had bought new. At 160k miles I had to replace the rocker arm cover gasket. The rocker arms, springs, etc. all looked brand new after all those miles. In reality it was probably because of the meticulous care I give my vehicles and it would have been the same with most any oil. But I had used Valvoline for all those miles so I knew it was doing as well as any brand could have. The bottom line is that proper maintenance is far more important than oil brand. The quality of motor these days far surpasses anything that you could get when the majority of the Wheel Horses discussed here were new.

• Like 3

papaglide

I think that the Pennsylvania crude oils had paraffin in them and the crude oils from Texas did not. There is some reason to believe that the paraffin gives the oil a much higher viscosity than non paraffin containing oil. Cen-pe-co and Brad Penn use this to market their oil.

Edited by papaglide

Digger 66

Back in the 50's and prior Pennsylvania motor oil was considered to be better than oil from other parts of the USA.

also heard it had more sulfur in it 

We ride our wheelers near the refineries in northwestern PA .

In the puddles , you can see the oil oozing to the top & laying on  the water in them .

The entire area smells of sulphur , not sure to what standards the refineries remove it , but I know it stinks . 

papaglide

Smelled kind of like it used to when traveling south over the Father Baker bridge right Digger!

Tankman

Most any 30W oil for the engines, I change the crankcase oil at least once a year. Retired, I have plenty of time to tend to the Horses.

Manual transmissions, Mobil 1 80W90 "Synthetic."

UPS uses the Mobil 1 their data base proved to them that using Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube saved them plenty of bucks.

A racing friend was getting one [1] race per year from the vehicle rear.

Using Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube (80W90) he now gets three [3] races per year. He's sold.   

Tankman

Most any 30W oil for the engines, I change the crankcase oil at least once a year. Retired, I have plenty of time to tend to the Horses.

Manual transmissions, Mobil 1 80W90 "Synthetic."

UPS uses the Mobil 1 their data base proved to them that using Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube saved them plenty of bucks.

A racing friend was getting one [1] race per year from the vehicle rear.

Using Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube (80W90) he now gets three [3] races per year. He's sold.   

Forest Road

I've been using Amsoil products in all of my equipment for 5-10 years now.

I won't sit here and tell you how much better it is than anything else. I've stuck with it primarily for my truck and minivan. I'm of the opinion that once you go with something stick with it. I do 10k oil changes on our vehicles. I truly appreciate that Amsoil prices dont seem to fluctuate with the market. I have the stuff delivered to my door for a few $$ and don't stand at Wally World scratching my head over saving $3. I have enough going on that the last thing I need to concern myself with is getting to the cheapest place for oil. When it's time for a change I've got it on the shelf.

So I've done the same for my horses. There's probably a case of small engine oil at the vacation home just for them.

• Like 1

baerpath

Never herd of Cen-Pe-Co before but here is one place where you can buy it:

http://www.midwestsupercub.net/MWSC%20Catalog.pdf

Midwest, Vogel and others specify Cen-Pe-Co for their stuff. Frank in WNY on here is a dealer and got me started on it.  But I buy mine locally

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

Lubrication Engineers 30w in the engine. Same brand grease for all the grease fittings. LUCAS in the tranny, only because I don't have to keep a case of it in storage as I would if I bought LE.

dbartlett1958

I think that the Pennsylvania crude oils had paraffin in them and the crude oils from Texas did not. There is some reason to believe that the paraffin gives the oil a much higher viscosity than non paraffin containing oil. Cen-pe-co and Brad Penn use this to market their oil.

You could be right about the Paraffin. Quaker State is still a hard sell in northern Maine. As I was told by a mechanic friend of mine,many years ago, a particular lot of oil that rhymes with "Bakers Date", made its way to Aroostook County just before cold weather hit. When the temps went down, that oil solidified in the crankcase, causing many a farmer to replace or rebuild his engine. Those folks up there have long memories and will avoid QS like the plague. Edited by dbartlett1958

WH nut

After having several motor a part that used Penz and QS, I would run it in anything. Including a mower. Nastiest motors I have ever seen.

• Like 1

papaglide

Would there be an issue running oil with detergent in an engine that used straight 30? For instance the C165 calls for straight 30 SC and Napa only had a straight 30 SB. The fellow at napa told me that I shouldn't use an SB rated oil when it called for SC. He then told me that I could run the 10W30 with detergent with a SN rating.

Detergent suspends the dirt in the oil while non detergent settles the dirt to the pan. Would this cause issues with the engine as long as the oil is changed regularly?

WH nut

You know now days straight weights and multi weights are all good. I have never had an oil related problem with any one my motors ( other than lack of) so run what you are comfortable with