Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Snow Blower Belt routing pics

Sparky

This is the belt routing on a 42" single stage blower. I always forget the way it goes on each winter so I decided to post a couple pictures for reference.

Mike.........

WHBlower42001.jpg

WHBlower42002.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

When I bought mine the seller showed me how to do it and warned me that it isn't the way it looks at first.

That was enough for me to get it right the first time and every time since! You have to push against the spring! :banghead:

Anthony Wendover

how do i get the bottom pully off? Take the 2 screws out of it and pull it with a puller? Or do i take the screws out and it pulls right off?

I need to replace the belt

Sparky

In theory you should be able to remove the set screws and pull it off. But after a life of blowin snow and being stored outside the pulley will not want to come off because of rust and corrosion. If you use a puller be very carefull as the pulley is steel and not cast iron and will want to bend. I would soak it with some type of penetrant like PB Blaster for a few days makin sure to get it down the holes where the set screws came from.

You could also whack it from behind with a hammer and a block of wood.

Mike..........

Blowerpulley001.jpg

• Excellent 1

mdntspec

in response to changing the belt... i just remove two of the three bolts

and loosen the third bolt that holds the flange bearing behiind the pulley.

this creates enough "play" to move the pulley away from the housing

and remove/replace the belt.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

CasualObserver

It's getting to be this time of year again.... bumping this to the top. :scratchead:

bploof

Being new to RS I'm not sure if I should post a ? here or start a new post ... ? So here it goes . I have the same thrower as You ( Sparky ) everything's hooked up right Belt, tension-er, PTO, etc ... The thrower won't throw snow unless I am in 6" of powder snow . Smaller amounts of snow dribble out just as wet snow does . This last storm it started to squeak & stop under a load ( heaver snow ) . I'm not sure but it seams like I sheered a pin or something . Motor is still @ high RPM everything else stops until I back out of the load .

I hope this works & you can understand this ... ?

Thank you GREAT SITE

Happy New Year

Martin

if this is whats happening.......

This last storm it started to squeak & stop under a load ( heaver snow ) . I'm not sure but it seams like I sheered a pin or something . Motor is still @ high RPM everything else stops until I back out of the load .

, seems like either the belt is slipping from a weak spring or more than likely the pto clutch isnt tight enough when engaged and is slipping. when you say everything stops, is the pto bell (pulley that the snowblower belt attaches to up on the engine)still turning? the belt still turning?

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

bploof

if this is whats happening.......

This last storm it started to squeak & stop under a load ( heaver snow ) . I'm not sure but it seams like I sheered a pin or something . Motor is still @ high RPM everything else stops until I back out of the load .

, seems like either the belt is slipping from a weak spring or more than likely the pto clutch isnt tight enough when engaged and is slipping. when you say everything stops, is the PTO bell (pulley that the snow blower belt attaches to up on the engine)still turning? the belt still turning?

Everything stops except the motor that's why I thought I sheered a soft pin like on a push mower. Can I tighten the clutch ... ? If so how ?

The angle of your belt looks steeper then mine from the tension-er to the bell ... ?

post-7564-0-97429200-1357479008_thumb.jp

Sparky

Your belt looks to be a bit short. But I dont think thats your issue. To adjust the clutch give the trunnion on the end of the PTO engagement rod a turn or two (the silver piece above the PTO and under the muffler in your pics). That will increase the pressure of the clutch.

Mike........

Martin

ive got a little more input and some questions too....

first off the belt looks similar to mine in length, im not sure if mine is the correct length, its a wh belt but the numbers next to the stamping on the belt are worn.

im assuming that your belt mike, is the right length, which definitely looks longer than what i have and bploof. i need to measure mine to see where im at.

also mike, are you running in the outside groove or inside in the above pics at the beginning of this post?

just looking at my blackhood ( which is the one i want to run the blower on) it doesnt look like i could get the belt on the inside as it looks like the belt will hit the hood. i only just have a finger spacing now on the outside one. i know this was mentioned elsewhere on the forum to get more speed out of the blower, but i cant see how i could do this with the hood/belt clearance i have now....

is there pto bells with a bigger diameter outside groove available?

heres what i have in pics when i started to rebuild the blower.

no tension spring for the belt, but putting tension on it the front most idler doesnt pull up as much as the one in your post, mike.

post-4321-0-73930600-1357484199_thumb.jp

don't think there is enough room to go to the inside groove, until i get it up and running i wont be able to tell if i even need to run it faster. so until then im not even going to entertain the thought of running in the inside groove....

post-4321-0-80156800-1357484499_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin

Sparky

That blower's belt was in the outside groove and I cant say if it was the correct belt or not :scratchead: . I sold that unit a few years ago when I upgraded to my tall chute.

I do recall when the short chute was on my C-125 that the belt would only work on the outer pulley because of the hood.

Mike........

• Like 1

Kelly

I can always tell when I get a black hood in, if it ever had a blower on it, the hood will have rub marks on the side from the belt.

Machria

ok, So it looks like we are done with the "Blizzards" for this year, so time to pull off the snowblower off my new GT14. 

So, how the heck do I get the belt off the horse??    Do I have to take apart the PTO pully or something?  

post-9546-0-08032900-1363012534_thumb.jp

TT

ok, So it looks like we are done with the "Blizzards" for this year, so time to pull off the snowblower off my new GT14. 

So, how the heck do I get the belt off the horse??    Do I have to take apart the PTO pully or something?

Grabsumbuds8683

Can anyone put some pics of the belt routing on a snowblower ST 323 on a T-1277? I just picked this machine up and looking for some help thank you

gwest_ca

Should be the same as the pictures at the first of this thread less the flat idler. That is the one next to the driven pulley on the snowthrower. Here is the manual if you don't have it.

Garry

NolanK

How would this go on the smaller tractors, my main pulley is on the bottom as it’s a 252H

WVHillbilly520H
10 hours ago, NolanK said:

How would this go on the smaller tractors, my main pulley is on the bottom as it’s a 252H

@muz123 can you help this fella out?

muz123
5 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@muz123 can you help this fella out?

@WVHillbilly520H I will do my best. I owned a 257-H many years ago, but had no implements for it. I will see what I can do.

• Thanks 1

peter lena

also take the time to  LUBRICATE THE SPRING TENSION FRAME  , that has the lowest pulley on it , typically I  see a rusted shaft in a hole , if the frame can follow the belt spring tension , it will work easier and do a better job. while you are at it , LUBRICATE  THE auger chain drive , it should spin up with total ease . pete