fourwheels0

onan 20 hp carb cleaning.

ericj

yes. pull the top off the carb remove the screw in jet and blow carb cleaner, take a rag and soak up the gas in the bowl after removing the float, needle valve  and setting them aside. spray carb cleaner down it the bowl and through the holes in the cab, one of them go through the main jet, blow it out good. I take a long thin screw driver and push the rag down in the bottom of the bowl. A heavy paper towel works good for this if you have some available. I then blow out with compressed air. I may repeat once or twice to make sure I got it good. then put it back to gether. If the top doesn't want to come off I tap on it with the handle of a screw driver. also be careful of the chock linkage, it real small and easy to loose, don't ask me how I know this. you also have to partly shut the choke to get the top off. good luck

eric j 

P.S. I just reread the thread they tell you pretty good how to do the clean the carb and even mentioned the chock linkage. guess I should have reread the whole old thread before commenting, sorry but your answer is YES

Edited by ericj

boomers_influence

fourwheels0

the current onan L-835 price of the 153-0500 is 13.48.

thank you. boomer

coldbear

My 1989 WH 520 has a HUNTING problem. It use to do it a little and now it's pretty sever. I use the Lucas fuel stabilizer in it every fill but I'm guessing it's going to take a look into the carb. I was looking for a video an YT but can't find a good one. If I find what is causing the problem. I'll reply back to our Forum.

WVHillbilly520H
19 minutes ago, coldbear said:

My 1989 WH 520 has a HUNTING problem. It use to do it a little and now it's pretty sever. I use the Lucas fuel stabilizer in it every fill but I'm guessing it's going to take a look into the carb. I was looking for a video an YT but can't find a good one. If I find what is causing the problem. I'll reply back to our Forum.

It's usually from the rubber fuel line/hose breaking down from the inside out that causes dirt to get it the carb body... It not like an ole GM Q-Jet with a filter directly in the main inlet. So yes it would be wise to at least pull the carb top and float, clean the bowl and use carb cleaning spray and compressed air to help you along the way.

coldbear

My 89 520 H had an irregular idle and I did what was suggested by our members. Removed the top of carburetor and found H2O in the bottom of float bowls. The idle tubes were clean until I spotted the smaller holes toward the end of tubes.  Cleaned with tip cleaners and reinstalled the carb. It seemed to settle down a little but still dances around too much for my comfort. I think I'll  run it like it is because I love the Onan power. 

lynnmor
2 hours ago, coldbear said:

My 89 520 H had an irregular idle and I did what was suggested by our members. Removed the top of carburetor and found H2O in the bottom of float bowls. The idle tubes were clean until I spotted the smaller holes toward the end of tubes.  Cleaned with tip cleaners and reinstalled the carb. It seemed to settle down a little but still dances around too much for my comfort. I think I'll  run it like it is because I love the Onan power. 

Why not remove the intake manifold and carburetor, check for intake leaks and clean the carburetor right?  You need to remove the intake to do a valve adjustment anyway.  Running an engine with an incorrect fuel to air ratio can cause damage.