252H

520H adjustment please help

252H

Oh okay i will try now

e5ynegyb.jpg. The cam lock ( which is what i tighten to stop the wheels) is the one on the middle right?

312Hydro

Oh okay i will try now

e5ynegyb.jpg. The cam lock ( which is what i tighten to stop the wheels) is the one on the middle right?

The cam bolt is 1" and slides in the cam plate slot. The cam lock bolt is 1/2" and goes thru the 1" cam bolt and locks it in place after you adjust it.

252H

The way things are right now- it doesnt creep. What is the next step?

312Hydro

The way things are right now- it doesnt creep. What is the next step?

So, Just to be clear. We have answered your original question about the bushing and fixed the cam bolt which was upside down. Now you have adjusted for neutral on the motion lever and the wheels stop when it is placed in neutral. The speed issue should be addressed by posting another question in the forum.I'm sure you'll get that resolved also as there are very knowledgeable members here.

• Like 1

252H

So, Just to be clear. We have answered your original question about the bushing and fixed the cam bolt which was upside down. Now you have adjusted for neutral on the motion lever and the wheels stop when it is placed in neutral. The speed issue should be addressed by posting another question in the forum.I'm sure you'll get that resolved also as there are very knowledgeable members here.

I will post one once i drive it around tomorrow. Thanks so much for the help. You have mo idea what it means to me. This 252-H and 520-H belonged to my grandfather who is no longer with us and we will never get rid of them. Happy 4th and thanks for everything!

• Like 2

312Hydro

Glad to help. Take good care of them and you'll be able to pass them on too.I'm sure your grandfather would like that. You found a great forum with members who are passionate about their Wheelhorses and love to help. Just give 'em pictures and you make their day! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

252H

Glad to help. Take good care of them and you'll be able to pass them on too.I'm sure your grandfather would like that. You found a great forum with members who are passionate about their Wheelhorses and love to help. Just give 'em pictures and you make their day! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

I started the 520-H today and the wheels didnt spin while on jack stands. Then after 15 seconds they started spinning and i can see the 1/2 inch cam bolt move. Like when you move the motion lever

312Hydro

You might try warming the tractor up first by riding it around for about 10 minutes to get the fluids warm.Then,  do the neutral adjustment.

• Like 1

252H

You might try warming the tractor up first by riding it around for about 10 minutes to get the fluids warm.Then, do the neutral adjustment.

Sorry for not replying! I did not see the notification. I will try warming it up and re-doing the adjustment

312Hydro

Any update?

• Like 1

252H

Any update?

Yes, i've been fiddling with it for the past 2 days and still can not get the neutral adjustment. All i can do now is try to find a shop to fix it because i am at a loss. I cant get the wheels to stop spinning when i adjust the 2 bolts. The bolt on top that moves when you push the motion lever seems loose and when its idling it sort of moves on its own and the star shaped nut on it spins in a circle almost as if not enough friction is being applied.

cleat

Could you remove the small bolt and take a picture of it beside the large adjustment cam ?

I have a feeling that the small bolt may be too long or have damaged threads preventing it from tightening properly.

Cleat

• Like 1

252H

Could you remove the small bolt and take a picture of it beside the large adjustment cam ?

I have a feeling that the small bolt may be too long or have damaged threads preventing it from tightening properly.

Cleat

Which small bolt? The smallest one?

cleat

Yes, the small one should be holding the large one from rotating.

If the small bolt has damaged threads or is simply too long it can't do it's job.

Thanks, Cleat

252H

dyza5umu.jpg

Is this it?

cleat

Yes, that should be it. It should stop the large one from turning when tight. If not then make sure it freely turns in by itself. You may need a new bolt.

Thanks, Cleat

252H

Yes, that should be it. It should stop the large one from turning when tight. If not then make sure it freely turns in by itself. You may need a new bolt.

Thanks, Cleat

I can do that but when i do it becomes very tight and hard to move the lever in any direction

cleat

These bolts need to be tight. That should not make anything tight. You must have a binding or misalignment issue somewhere else on the cam. The only nut that controls tension is the middle one.

Cleat

252H

These bolts need to be tight. That should not make anything tight. You must have a binding or misalignment issue somewhere else on the cam. The only nut that controls tension is the middle one.

Cleat

How tight should the middle bolt be?

cleat

Loosen it then move the motion lever. It should move really easily. Slowly tighten the center nut until you feel a slight drag on the lever (enough to hold it in position but should still move freely). Reset neutral and you should be set to go.

Cleat

252H

Loosen it then move the motion lever. It should move really easily. Slowly tighten the center nut until you feel a slight drag on the lever (enough to hold it in position but should still move freely). Reset neutral and you should be set to go.

Cleat

Thanks cleat. I'll try it

252H

How come my 520 has always rolled with the engine off? Even before i had the neutral issue it did that

312Hydro

How come my 520 has always rolled with the engine off? Even before i had the neutral issue it did that

It will roll with the brake off. It's harder to move when it has been run because of hydraulic pressure in the transmission.

• Like 1

dennist

Yes, they can roll, mine do.

I know when I suggested removing the tunnel cover in pic below, you said yours was welded on? Even if it is, you should do something about that, as there are plenty of important components under there that "can" be causing your issue also. There are a bunch of linkages and if they are not all tight and correct it may result in rattling that makes the cam move. IMO, this is very important step that you are not addressing and it is going to continue to haunt you till you atleast make sure it is all functioning as it should. .

I once found a bolt going through the dash tower was put on backwards making the end of the bolt block the travel of the motion lever and the PO just kept hammering on the lever instead of taking the time to fully look at the motion lever from front to back to see how it all works and what was wrong. It could have even been the reason he ended up selling a great machine that continually gets a bad rap for not running properly.

post-3300-0-86391800-1405007277_thumb.jp

• Like 1

252H

Yes, they can roll, mine do.

I know when I suggested removing the tunnel cover in pic below, you said yours was welded on? Even if it is, you should do something about that, as there are plenty of important components under there that "can" be causing your issue also. There are a bunch of linkages and if they are not all tight and correct it may result in rattling that makes the cam move. IMO, this is very important step that you are not addressing and it is going to continue to haunt you till you atleast make sure it is all functioning as it should. .

I once found a bolt going through the dash tower was put on backwards making the end of the bolt block the travel of the motion lever and the PO just kept hammering on the lever instead of taking the time to fully look at the motion lever from front to back to see how it all works and what was wrong. It could have even been the reason he ended up selling a great machine that continually gets a bad rap for not running properly.

I'll try to get it off and see what i can find! Hopefully i find the problem!