JaysHorse

3 point hitch

JaysHorse

So I acquired a 3 point hitch and tiller attachment from a roper. Going to attempt to retro this to my 518H. My plan is to fab a 2" receiver and then weld a piece of 2" square stock to the main mount of the 3PH. This way it will be a quick release sort of setup. Let me know if anyone has any good suggestions.

Thanks

Jay

post-12658-0-46232800-1404267344_thumb.j

• Like 3

stevebo

That is a great idea and what I would have done if I were redesign the 3pt set ups we did. Use of a plate similar to this that attaches to the tractor. I would try to make it a quick release to the tiller attachment point.

• Like 1

Digger 66

Derby , huh ? 

Well , howdy neighbor !  :)

• Like 1

rexman72

that's a great  ideal and would love to see more pics as you fab up to the tractor

That is a great idea and what I would have done if I were redesign the 3pt set ups we did. Use of a plate similar to this that attaches to the tractor. I would try to make it a quick release to the tiller attachment point.

steve with your 3 point hitch is it separate or is it like a clevis hitch?meaning you can only run one attachment having a clevis hitch

• Like 1

stevebo

Mine runs off the rock shaft 100% mechanical. The drawback on mine is that you cannot run a mower deck with it but you can use a front snow plow or snow blower. 

• Like 1

rexman72

thats cool you can run a blower and then use a back blade to scrape up the excess snow

• Like 1

JaysHorse

I'm hoping to start tackling this project this weekend. I will post pics of progress. I did get the roper tiller too. But that awaits a new engine. The price for everything was right (free). I decided not to use this tractor for lawn cutting. So I'll probably be putting the deck up for sale. 42" SD mint shape. Just not sure what the going rate is. And I need to buy a new front tire. She popped on me the other day. But I'm pretty excited to get this under way. Nice to see some locals on here.

Edited by JaysHorse

papaglide

Cool idea! Keep us posted on the 3 point.

JaysHorse

I haven't forgot about updates. I just got a bit side tracked and started construction of the hitch portion. Not a lot of time with 2 little ones and now a fresh load of logs to cut and split. Slowly but surely I'll get er done.

JaysHorse

Started fabing my hitch. It's going well. Trying to figure out where to put brackets to attach the arms for the 3PH. Anybody know the distance from the ground to the arm. I mean the end where the attachment hooks to it.post-12658-0-14063900-1405043815_thumb.j

gwest_ca

I got one of these many years ago and the tiller never had gas in it. I eventually found a C-120 and someone had added a manual Roper 3-point to it. The 5/8" bar the lower arms go on is 12" off the ground and it is about 1/2" farther ahead than the pin for the top link. What I can't measure at the moment is how far the lower rod is below the top link pin.

This tiller has a 8hp B&S and there is a flat belt idler to tension the matched pair of drive belts. The lift would not go high enough so the tines would often tear out sod in the lawn when turning around to make another pass. I tighten up the linkage to the belt idler so it would not go past center and lock. I added a spring to the linkage to apply the clutch. I then added a cable from the original lever to a small pulley at the bottom left of the lift plate similar to yours, back to another pulley on the tiller and the cable ends at the right bottom side of the lift plate. When I lift the tiller out of the ground now the cable pulls on the belt idler and the tines stop. Problem solved.

I do have to keep the top link extended a bit more than ideal so it does not go past center when the tiller is down working at maximum depth.

The 23" tires on the tractor are the limiting factor. The tractor is too low for an ideal setup. Have now added a 100 lb. front weight to the tractor frame and about 24" to the manual lift handle and it is a decent setup.

Garry

• Like 1

JaysHorse

Progress so far. Using the cargo rack to bring wood from pile into house. And the 3PH.....well endless options. But all in all going well.

post-12658-0-46806900-1405130792_thumb.j

post-12658-0-91108600-1405130802_thumb.j

post-12658-0-07112100-1405130815_thumb.j

• Like 1

over60pirate

Looks like a 2 pt hitch

JaysHorse

Lol true. I just don't have the center arm in there. Got some final touches and then some paint. But coming along well.

posifour11

I really like that!!

JaysHorse

I got the assembly set up. Just got to add some brackets for the arms and give it a try with the tiller attached. Then some minor work on the engine of the tiller and she's ready to go. Delayed due to some kick ass bar tires I picked up from RonnieC. This rig is badass with them. Lifts the front tires off the ground when I crank her up. Love it!

gwest_ca

This project may be delayed a day to allow time to mount the carry-all on the front so it can be loaded with weights.

Garry

over60pirate

I use a barbell weight bar attached to a mount, that I can use on the front or rear of my GT. Makes it easy to put weights on. I also have a bar on each rear wheel for weights. Need more weight on the front? Just remove from the rear wheel and put on front.

Each rear wheel has a 50#, 2, 15# and a 5# weight.

It could be easily mounted to a receiver hitch.

post-6550-0-88944400-1406117810_thumb.jp

rexman72

looking good

JaysHorse

I figure for now worst case scenario I put the blower on the front. That should weight it down quite well. Lol

JaysHorse

Well here she is pretty much complete. Just need to run some wiring, mount a 3 way switch, and a touch of paint. I gave it a try with a battery and it lifts my 185lbs with no trouble! Oh yeah how about the new bar tires?!

post-12658-0-20566600-1406141906_thumb.j

• Like 1