DrabHorse

Ignition condenser on P series Onan's

DrabHorse

I have been wondering what the condenser does on these onan's with the electronic ignitions.  I understand what a condenser is and what it does for a points ignition.  If I had to guess I would say it just conditions or cleans up any voltage spikes in the wiring near the ignition components.  I have not been able to find anything in writing about it.  An additional question would be what would happen if it went bad or was not connected.

Martin

post-4321-0-31639200-1404089125_thumb.pn

cleat

Since it connects to the positive side of the coil on an Onan it does beg the question of what it does.

Cleat

DrabHorse

Thanks Martin for the info.  And I had forgotten about the demystify guide, btw maybe I am going nuts but I don't remember the demystify guide being that detailed with part numbers and all, was there an older version or something I may be thinking of?  Also I found it interesting that they list this condenser with the air cleaner group and not the ignition group in the toro mpv, guess because it mounts on the air cleaner bracket.

Edited by DrabHorse

Martin

the glossary is where i got that info. 

not sure if there are different versions, i use this one.....

REALLY GOOD way to learn about the electrical components and wiring on our tractors.......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1