rmaynard

The Infamous Commando 8 Back-flipping Show Horse

AMC RULES

Pretty incredible Bob...   :bow-blue: 

how you never let that injury show at the show.     :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Thanks for sharing your :wh: loading mishap with us here. 

squonk

Another tip. If possible, slap some anti skid tape on the ramp where the tires normally ride to reduce spin. When it wears out, replace it.

• Like 2

19richie66

Glad it didnt end up any worse for you. Your right about the tractor being able to be repaired but we heal slowly, even more so the older we get. I had a friend of mine roll his green tractor over backwards. The deck adjuster handle button just missed his " southern end". Several stitches and a couple weeks out of work is what he got. Glad you are ok.

Edited by 19richie66

neil

As long as you are ok, tractor will mend,

Wheelhorsestory

Thank God that you are OK Bob!  When you were telling me about it, I never imagined it being this severe. I had a similar, but less drastic experience with an RJ35 when I first got into the hobby back in 1997.  I was driving it up the trailer's ramp when she reared up on me.  The tread from the bar tire gouged out a good slice of my right leg. I should have gotten stitched.  Your beautiful tractor cab be repaired. It did make a really cool photo and taught a lesson to everyone. 

SousaKerry

Wow glad to hear you are ok,  I make it a rule at my house never to ride a tractor up a ramp, we use rough sawn 2x6's from an old shipping crate I salvaged at work one has a crack and I don't 100% trust it although I have used it that way for years now.  Once I was backing my C-125/175A down the ramps from a utility trailer and I got a little crooked and she rolled over onto her side.  Since no-one was on it I just stepped back and let her fall.  Rolled it back over and started right up no damage.

953 nut

Glad to hear you are OK,

Years back I had a bad unloading experiance, while backing a mower off the back of a pick up using ramps the deck hit the end of one of the ramps and pushed it off the tailgate with me on the mower. God was lookong out for me and I was on the ground, on the seat and backing up on the drive way in a second. Don't use ramps any more and I always back on to my trailer.

JC 1965

Wow !! That could have turned out very bad.   :scared-eek:   Glad you'er ok Bob.    :thumbs2:

stevasaurus

Don't know how I missed this thread.  I knew it happened and you have the Hard Hat now, but the pictures really show the travesty and how lucky you were.  I am glad you are OK my friend.  It is hard to look at that nice horse on it's side.  Yes, I think backing up the trailer and walking beside it is the way to go.  :)

Terry M

I agree with jc1965,that could have been bad.  And I'll also say to you Bob that i'm glad your ok :handgestures-thumbupright: .   Thanks for sharing this and from  now on I'll think twice before letting my kids drive up into the trailer with spinning wheels :hide: .

rmaynard

I was just looking at the Commando 8 in the shed Thursday with my 10 year old grandson. He says it's not too bad, and that we should be able to fix it up the next time he comes to spend the night. Really! I guess these kids today know everything. Although, as slow as my leg is taking to heal, I just might have the Commando done before the leg.

• Like 5

neil

Bob I would hate to think what the damage would have been if you were underneath it & the hot muffler was to land on your skin & you struggle to lift the tractor off . Makes me go cold just thinking about it .

Glad you are on the mend .

rmaynard

It could have been much worse. I can't bear to think about the possibility of the WHCC show without Mrs. Maynard's cookie bars.

Edited by rmaynard

Hillbilly2

I now that feelin. One time I done me a slap wheelie on my crartsman. It was just like Grave Digger. The neighbors was vary impressed although it di end with me laying uner the craftsman. I had a cigarette in my mouth and I started to smell gas. I new that caint be good. So I got up right away. By the way I always wear a helmet if im going onto a trailer.I created me a checklist I always go over before I mow.
1. Helmet
2. Fire suit
3. Fire extenguisher
4. Somebody on standby to radio in for help
5. Check for mouse nests cuz them things can cause fires.
6. Check headlights and tailights if driving on public roads.
7. Fill the engine back up with oil(after a rollover oil level is liable to be low if it come out the carbatater)
8. Check the clutchs funktionality so no colisionz ocur(ask me why I know)

JC 1965

looking at this pic reminds me of an incident that happened about 20 years ago to a guy I worked with. He took a vacation day to plow his garden, His wife was at work and his kids were in school. I don't know how it happened but he turned the tractor over and his leg got trapped underneath it. He lay there for several hours until his kids got home and one of them called 911. He got a broken leg and some small cuts and bruises but very lucky. I guess you just can't be to careful.

Wheel-N-It

Again late here. I've just never checked in much to the Bumps and Bruises section of RS. Bob, you are one tuff guy. I could not tell you had such a spill from the way you were walking around the Big Show. Happy to hear you and the Commando are well on the mend :)

rmaynard

Thanks for checking in Van. I am still nursing the leg. Seems the older you get, the longer it take to heal. I still have a bit of fluid build-up around and above the ankle, so every night I have to sleep with a compression sock on that leg. The laceration is also taking longer to mend than I would have expected.

Maybe a little of your peach iced tea would help. post-2221-0-39708900-1406512231.jpg

• Like 1

Rich Gilbert

Similar thing happened to me about 15 years ago when we had a 3 wheel Honda ATV (remember those?  The Govt outlawed them!).  On the way down a very steep hill-side the front wheel went into a small hole and I went over the bars and the ATV followed me down the hill trying to run over me.  I finally stopped it with my hand but got a torn rotator cuff, a dislocated shoulder and a broken collar bone.  Still hurts to this day.  Fortunately I had a helmet on that day and gloves.

Ibuprofen

I've witnessed and had my fair own share of similar incidents. Luckily none of which involved any serious injuries.

I used to work at a place that sold mowers (Rural King) and we once had a customer try loading his brand new mower with a set of those DIY ramps made from a 2x6 and an aluminum plate. He got the mower about half way into the bed of his truck when the right ramp slid out of place and the whole thing came crashing to the ground. Pretty scary but, no one was hurt.

My own personal story comes from riding four wheelers. I was going up a hill much steeper than I should have. Near the top of the hill it gets quite a bit steeper. When I got to this point I lost traction and was stuck going no where. One of my riding buddies was able to run up next to me and hold it in place. However, we weren't able to hold it long and my brakes were long gone. I tried to let it roll down the hill a little bit where I could turn around but, as soon as I started to back down I was already going too fast. The front tire caught a tree root turning the wheels and that caused it to flip. The atv and I done 2 rolls down the hill and I woke up several seconds later to the skid plate touching my nose. Luckily nothing was broke and I escaped with only some bruises, soreness and back pain.

• Like 1

slammer302

Same thing happened to my dad we have started using wenches to load and unload I have a electric wench mounted to the bed of my truck and we have a boat wench on the trailer works very well

dcrage

All right -- I will come clean -- I put my 418-A in the same position Bob's Commando was in about a week after he had his incident -- The only difference is I was cutting grass and had an engaged 42" deck -- Started rolling backwards down a hill and tried to turn into the hill and over it went -- Some how I managed to do a perfect head roll and came up running (I have very vivid memories of thinking the deck is running and the seat switch has never worked since I acquired this machine; get away for this thing) -- Engine stopped as soon as it went over -- Didn't get a scratch on me; tractor got a smashed hood (fixed by my local WH shop; good sheet metal skills), bent stirring wheel (got a replacement in hand), and a slightly deformed air cleaner (now not deformed) -- Can't tell if anything got bent on the deck (seems to cut fine) and the tractor is otherwise OK; no worse for the incident

rmaynard

It's a scary, slow motion feeling that can't be explained. The only thing that I remember thinking is "this isn't going to end well". But contrary to that thought, the  :wh: gods were not finished with me.

Glad that your experience had a similarly happy ending Dave.  :thumbs:

dcrage

Because of this incident I probably will invest in one of Matt's foot controls for my 418. There was some "operator error" causing my roll over. 45 years of driving foot clutches, that is what I react to in an emergency setting. Hopefully I would do a better job with a foot control than I do with the MCL.

zanepetty

Wow. Glad you're ok mr. Bob. I'll remeber this tip! Do you break a spindle or tie rod or front axle??