Torino

C-175 No power

Torino

Turn the switch nothing.  No lights, no starting, no nothing.  It does have a new switch.  Battery is good.  Ran fine last time I used it. 

SousaKerry

Well start with the basics, fuse blown?  Inspect all wiring, check the battery with a volt meter, check your ground wire to the frame for corrosion.  On a C-175 the engine is isolated so a jumper wire completes the ground check both ends for corrosion.

Oh yeah and one that always gets me did you leave the PTO on?   And for that matter check the seat switch or lack there of. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Torino

Now the problem is intermediate.  So I took the new switch off and bench tested at it passed.  Put it back on and nothing.  Jiggled wires nothing.    Had power to the switch.  Then just to make sure I jumped the battery.  Switch worked and lights came on.  I retested the battery, good. Took jumper off and still had power.  Test started fired up.  Turned switch off then back no power.   The switch is just a couple months old. 

Edited by Torino

WH nut

Sounds like you need to check the battery connections

Save Old Iron

Hey T,

just checking in to see how's it going withe C-175?

You always have some interesting stuff going on.

Torino

Hey T,

just checking in to see how's it going withe C-175?

You always have some interesting stuff going on.

"Interesting stuff"  I call it bad luck.  It makes you fill like Charlie Brown.

Everything is working now.  I really did not do anything.  I mowed with it today and it did fine.  What bothers me is what every the problem is I don't think it is fixed so I am ready for it to brake down again.  When I changed the switch I checked and cleaned most of the connections.  So I don't know what to to other than start replacing wires or rebuild to whole loom. 

tunahead72

Bad PTO switch maybe?  Both my C-105 and 310-8 show some of the same symptoms every once in a while, although I don't know about the lights.  If I try to start it and nothing happens, I turn the ignition switch off, engage and disengage the PTO lever, and try again.  So far, knock on wood, it's worked every time, but I know I really should check the switches/wiring/connections.

Save Old Iron

"Interesting stuff"  I call it bad luck.  It makes you fill like Charlie Brown.

No way. These are all great opportunities to learn. The symptoms you describe are perfect for learning how to troubleshoot with a multimeter. I willdraw up a small diagram for you to illustrate troubleshooting your issue by measuring "voltage drop" with a meter. Stay tuned.

Torino

I love learning new stuff.  The only thing I hate is I forget what I learn unless I use it often. 

• Like 1

tunahead72

No way. These are all great opportunities to learn. The symptoms you describe are perfect for learning how to troubleshoot with a multimeter. I willdraw up a small diagram for you to illustrate troubleshooting your issue by measuring "voltage drop" with a meter. Stay tuned.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Torino

This tractor is haunted.  As stated in the June 26 post it was running.  I tried to start it today and nothing.  Checked battery again at it is fine.  I turned the key to the run position and turned the light switch on.  Nothing.  So I started jiggling wires and nothing happened.  I stepped away from the tractor and in a few seconds the lights came on.  Weird.  Could it be the solenoid?

stevasaurus

Does this Haunted Horse live outside?  It sounds like you have a moisture problem.  Moisture could be shorting out a circuit, and with the key on, the heat from the short would maybe dry it out and then the circuit would start working.  They sell a waterproof plastic spray for electronics at auto supply stores.  We used to use it on distributor caps on the old Chevys.  I do not remember the name, but it will solve your problem if that is in fact the problem.  :)

squonk

If it has an ammeter check that. I have seen this happen more than once and it has been that pesky guage every time.

Torino

She lives inside but I am sure she has spent a few nights under the stars.  She is a little wild child I am trying to tame.  I will check the meter.  Does all the power go throught the meter?

Does this Haunted Horse live outside?  It sounds like you have a moisture problem.  Moisture could be shorting out a circuit, and with the key on, the heat from the short would maybe dry it out and then the circuit would start working.  They sell a waterproof plastic spray for electronics at auto supply stores.  We used to use it on distributor caps on the old Chevys.  I do not remember the name, but it will solve your problem if that is in fact the problem.  :)

That is something I did not think of?

Save Old Iron

except for the power consumed by the starter - all power flows thru the ammeter - a quick check of the ammeter could be made by jumping both the + and - leads of the ammeter together. Try to crank the engine again. If it cranks reliably, the ammeter OR THE CONNECTION TO THE AMMETER could be the problem.

start with a test light or voltmeter and check both sides of the ammeter - both should have power all the time

then head up to the B terminal of the ignition switch - should have power all the time

then turn the ign switch to RUN - the + terminal of the coil should be powered up

Save Old Iron

or

you can jumper the battery + terminal to the coil + and turn the ignition switch to the RUN posiiton

this will bypass the ammeter and allow the ignition switch to backfeed into the lights circuit and the START circuit

as soon as I get off this tablet PC and onto my desktop this afternoon, I'll post some wiring pictorals

Torino

I have power at both ends of the meter.  Power at the switch but no lights and no start.

Save Old Iron

jumper the battery + terminal to the coil + and turn the ignition switch to the RUN posiiton

this will bypass the ammeter and allow the ignition switch to backfeed into the lights circuit and the START circuit

Try this jumper and see if you have lights or the ability to start.

Torino

I

jumper the battery + terminal to the coil + and turn the ignition switch to the RUN posiiton

Try this jumper and see if you have lights or the ability to start.

I did this and still no lights no start.

Save Old Iron

ok then, we should have been able to backfeed 12 volts through the ignition switch - I'm starting to question either the ign switch or the negative return wiring (common to all electrical functions).

Continuing on...

we are jumping around a bit and we skipped over some basics. Since we have the jumper lead out, let's go for a reality check and hopefully a simple win for our side.

jumper the battery + to the headlight green wire at the headlights

since we are now using your headlights as a test light, your headlight(s) should come on

if they do not light up, we have ground wire issues back to the battery - assuming the battery is good.

Edited by Save Old Iron

Torino

Jumped lights to battery.  No lights.  I do have power going in and out of the light switch.  I also have power at the ingnition switch.

Save Old Iron

starting to sound like no ground pathway back to the battery from any function in the electrical system.

continuing on with "troubleshooting with a jumper wire" theme,

jumper a wire from the battery (-) to the black wire on the headlights.

place the ignition switch in the RUN position and flip the light switch on

you should have lights and confirmation you have lost the negative power circuit continuity.(ground wires)

Torino

Sorry, I made a mistake.  I do have light if I jump from +battery to ground wire on lights.  If I jump from -battery to ground wire on light I do not have lights.

stevasaurus

Not to make light of what you have going on, but I thought a smile might be in order.  How about we all get together and do an exorcism...we could sacrifice something Green.  I don't know...just sounded like a good idea.  Just wanted to put a smile on your face.  :)

• Like 1

Torino

I have a few green ones so that will not work.  We can use virgin from Home Depot.