meadowfield

Project bendy 4x4 gets a locking diff

meadowfield

It's been on the drawing board with project bendy for more than year. Other projects have slowed it down - notably project C4.

Anyhow some of you are following the build thread and I though this modification deserves it's own thread.

I can't see that anyone has ever made one or managed to modify another part from a different make, so set about making my own :D

Most rely on splined couplings or dog clutches, however a WH transmission has the benefit that you can reverse the pinions and lock them - or more importantly slide them.... So this is how the plan was formed....

More pics and a video to follow. Here's the first part of the mod, modifying 4 of the pinions to make them slide.

post-3321-0-66856600-1403467611_thumb.jp

post-3321-0-82807500-1403467747_thumb.jp

post-3321-0-02936100-1403467493_thumb.jp

post-3321-0-18143500-1403468143_thumb.jp

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 4

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbsup:  Man...I can't wait for this one.    :popcorn:

I can tell, an awesome  :wh: video is already in the works. 

• Like 1

Sparky

So the goal is to be unstoppable eh??

Looks like you'll achieve it!!

Mike.......

meadowfield

:handgestures-thumbsup:  Man...I can't wait for this one.    :popcorn:

I can tell, an awesome  :wh: video is already in the works. 

I need to get some more footage, but yes :D

So the goal is to be unstoppable eh??

Looks like you'll achieve it!!

Mike.......

that's the plan Mike....  I also want a 2/4WD lever and a diff lock lever - it's all about levers :D

• Like 2

Anglo Traction

Looking Good Mark, are you doing both sides so all 8 engage both sides at the same time?.  :notworthy:

PS. check your Oil level on the front Lathe Spindle Bearing , I can't see any in it :hide:   

Edited by Anglo Traction

meadowfield

Looking Good Mark, are you doing both sides so all 8 engage both sides at the same time?. :notworthy:

PS. check your Oil level on the front Lathe Spindle Bearing , I can't see any in it :hide:

Richard, I can only do 4 on sliders and they only move halfway, any more and only one side gets locked. I relying on locking one side and the pinions holding the other side.

Here's a better pic.post-3321-0-06627300-1403646085_thumb.jp

P.s. The spindle bearing has a lot of oil in it, just the reservoir that leaks it out every few days. I need to refurb it as I'm fed up wasting oil running into the suds tray :)

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 1

alswagg

I would love to have a locking diff in one of the D 180's  Our Duetz  has a foot activated locker and I love it.  Very easy to control in and out with my right heel.  Perfect this and you will have a customer.  Al

C-101plowerpower

looking good mark :thumbs:

I would love to have a locking diff in one of the D 180's  Our Duetz  has a foot activated locker and I love it.  Very easy to control in and out with my right heel.  Perfect this and you will have a customer.  Al

got a pic of the deutz?

Koen

stevasaurus

This is going to be good..  :)

alswagg

I have a few pics of the Duetz hooked to one of our Larger boats we move around.  The Duetz is only used to move boats at our shop.  Up to 18k lbs   over that we use a truck.   I will try to figure out how to post pics  

alswagg

Here is a photo of our little Duetz  18HP Diesel  We use this to move boats at our shop.  This boat is 32' 

post-12798-0-25878700-1403741670_thumb.j

meadowfield

I've been busy today!!!

My plan works, but boy is it tight in there, the diff has to go in one way and I have an inch to get the additional bits in.

IMG_20140626_161645_zps7qhjiput.jpg

turning one side down to make room for the bolts

IMG_20140627_171504_zpshzixwf42.jpg

the selector cage

IMG_20140627_172151_zpsl9bak50u.jpg

all together

IMG_2720_zps82cbe7d0.jpg

in the lock position

IMG_2721_zps131af9bc.jpg

I've started work on the selector fork and slider, now it's getting tighter. It's a good job I don't need all the gears :D

• Like 3

coldone

Very nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dbartlett1958

I just love you guy's across the Pond with your Heavy Metal!

meadowfield

Very nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just love you guy's across the Pond with your Heavy Metal!

:D

ol550

What are you using for bearings at the ends of the sliding pinions and selector cage? :confusion-confused:

meadowfield

The pinions sit in the flange as before immersed in oil, the cage sites on small turned bushes and floats. This can't be tight as otherwise there would be excessive wear. It just holds the pinions in place until the lock is activated

• Like 1

meadowfield

Latest update:

Here's the shift fork and lever, also a fresh shaft to slide on

IMG_20140629_170930_zpslktmmug2.jpg

Here's the final assembly, it's been tight... I've even had to turn bolt heads down to make enough room. Remember this is the rear transmission for bendy and does not need any gears. It's driven from the brake drum input.

IMG_20140629_180611_zpsl3lbkaou.jpg

One of my kids has cleaned up the very rough casing, so it might just end up back together this weekend :D

• Like 3

meadowfield

Didn't manage to get it together, but it is all painted and shiny now :D

post-3321-0-41123400-1405197026_thumb.jp

Hubs painted too

post-3321-0-61254100-1405197251_thumb.jp

Insides all clean and shiny, new seals here, just a gasket to make.

• Like 3

C-101plowerpower

looking good mark, i'm liking the cover plates on the hubs :handgestures-thumbupright: 

Koen

meadowfield

looking good mark, i'm liking the cover plates on the hubs :handgestures-thumbupright: 

Koen

:D stops the hubs sliding in, should they ever want to. Hides where the PO beat the crap out of them. Looks industrial and cool....

• Like 3

meadowfield

Final update on this thread, made a new gasket and reassembled the whole unit.

I'm pretty pleased with the way it works and can't wait to build it into bendy and test it :D

Here's a short video of the bits as they went together and the diff locker in action

...I also found time to fire up my synthesisers and do a cheesy soundtrack :)

• Like 3

C-85

I have wished for locking rear end for a long time, so this development is very interesting, finally a true locker!  :thanks:

I have a few questions - :confusion-confused:

How will this work to engage it, will it have a lever or a foot control like most of the big tractors have, or have you gotten to this part yet?

I'm wondering :confusion-scratchheadblue: what transmission was used for this (mainly if it had hi-lo range)?

I'm guessing that a hole was drilled in the top of the case for the shaft that operates this, or was an existing hole used?

I like the heavy duty hubs in the picture.  I'm guessing this was to keep the hubs from sliding in on the axle like mine always seem to do :banghead:?  I cheated and bought a few 1 1/8" washers and put them on the axles to keep this from happening.  What ever the case, your hubs look like they came off a heavy duty truck now and look great! :dance:

I wonder if you would ever consider helping to upgrade some of our transmissions to this new technology, mine could sure use it!

C-85 :)

meadowfield

I have wished for locking rear end for a long time, so this development is very interesting, finally a true locker!  :thanks:

I have a few questions - :confusion-confused:

How will this work to engage it, will it have a lever or a foot control like most of the big tractors have, or have you gotten to this part yet?

I'm wondering :confusion-scratchheadblue: what transmission was used for this (mainly if it had hi-lo range)?

I'm guessing that a hole was drilled in the top of the case for the shaft that operates this, or was an existing hole used?

I like the heavy duty hubs in the picture.  I'm guessing this was to keep the hubs from sliding in on the axle like mine always seem to do :banghead:?  I cheated and bought a few 1 1/8" washers and put them on the axles to keep this from happening.  What ever the case, your hubs look like they came off a heavy duty truck now and look great! :dance:

I wonder if you would ever consider helping to upgrade some of our transmissions to this new technology, mine could sure use it!

C-85 :)

Hey thanks!

The actual selector is still to be designed, I like the idea of foot operated and spring loaded. But I like the idea of another lever to select diff lock. With the 4wd selector lever plus transfer and shift lever that's 4 levers :D

Transmission is an 8 pinion C series 8 speed, with the bits I don't need removed - the main transmission on this project is on the front and chain drive to the rear. Other than the brake shaft everything has been removed...

Diff lock selection is through a new bush that is fit into the original shift lever position, the set screw retains the bush and keeps it neat and tidy.

I wanted to beef things up as well as make it look a bit more rugged, so the laser cut steel end caps were bolted onto the hubs after I'd cleaned and fixed them up. Both had broken set screws, huge angle grinder marks and hammer rash. After filling all the cuts with weld and turning them down to clean them it just seemed like a good idea.

You are right that it will stop the hubs sliding, though personally I've never had a problem on my horses with that.

Re: helping, sure I can give pointers, there's no drawings for this and it's extremely tight to fit the workings into the small gap between the diff and the transmission case. It's probably possible to modify an existing 8 speed and keep the workings, but would be extremely tight to get the selector mechanism in.

Mark

meadowfield

I never completed the thread - but did finish the lever 18 months ago!

here is the cable actuation 

IMG_20150516_165149.jpg

and the lever end

IMG_20150516_165301.jpg

with the obligitory lever and decal :D

difflock.jpg

• Like 4