Butch

Wake up call after the show.

Butch

I don't drink and drive. I don't talk on my cellphone and drive and I surely don't text and drive. And I don't wanna be on the road with those that do the above.

Well today I discovered I am no different than those above. I was coming home from Biglerville, Pa today when the incident occurred. Don't ask me where Biglerville is cuz I don't know. I can only get there with GPS and there is nothing there but a fairground.

We loaded up the pickup truck and were headed home. I was on the road about 5 minutes and felt tired. I can't drive like I use to. I was yawning, shaking my head and putting the window down. I finally get on the PA turnpike. Still feel tired and shaking my head. I've driven like this 100s of times before.

I'm doing around 75 MPH in the slow lane and all of a sudden it happens. I hear a loud scream. It's my wife. I wake up from a sound sleep. I was completely out. I'm inches from the concrete divider to the left of the fast lane. What do you think you would do if suddenly awaken inches from the concrete barrier doing 75 MPH. You yank that wheel to the right. Yank the wheel hard right at 75 mph now you have a job of not rolling or hitting something like another vehicle or a tree near the slow lane shoulder. All I could think of was Carrie Underwoods song "Jesus take the wheel". I didn't think I was gonna save it. I thought for sure I was gonna hit the divider, hit another car or roll the truck. Nope. I got it under control.

By the grace of God no one was hurt and I didn't hit anything. It scared the hell out of me and I went to a small rest area not far down the road and took a break. I was wide awake for the rest of the drive home.

Start yawning, turning up the A/C, rolling the window down or rocking your head back an forth, then you're a candidate for dozing off. I didn't think it would or could ever happen to me. Now I know.

• Like 6

rmaynard

Butch, I'm glad you and your wife were not involved in an accident. Would hate to see a great time at the show end like that. :thumbs:

953 nut

Thanks for passing this on to us, takes a real man to admit he isn't Superman (anymore).

AMC RULES

Glad to hear you saved the day.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

KC9KAS

Glad you and your wife are ok.

Be careful everyone!

neil

Wow, glad you are ok , this happened to me a good few years ago only I managed to roll the car at 70 mph and then was dragged up the highway on my back , I still bare the scars from this incident , you could have actually saved someone's life by writing this thread

• Like 1

boovuc

Wow! Really glad you got it under control and that you and yours are OK!  Really glad your wife screamed when she did! Next time she raises her voice to you about something, take it with a grain of salt!  :)

Ken B

So happy too hear you and your wife made it thru unharmed Butch! Thank God your wife wasn't taking a nap. I wasn't able to sleep more than an hr. each night due to a crappy bed in my van and a barking mutt someone tied to a canopy pole.. I was pretty tired when I left today but luckily my son was real chatty for the 6 hr. ride home...

Butch

Ken I was lucky she wasn't sleeping because she was tired and nodding on and off. When we left everyone said drive

safe and have a safe trip!!!

nylyon

It was a pleasure to meet you Butch, and I am really glad that the little voice inside you (or the woman sitting next to you) SCREAMED in time for you.  I suspect you were running high on adrenaline after that.

JC 1965

Wow !! Sounds like a really close call. Glad everyone is ok.   :thumbs2:    

"D"- Man

Butch, thank the Lord you and your wife are OK. I and my two oldest sons made it to the show for the first time this year. I told them the one riding in the front has to watch out for my driving, as it's about a 1,000 mile round trip. I was tired and veered onto the rumble strip, but I quickly caught myself and corrected. I looked over at my son Samuel in the front seat he was playing some game on the phone. I gently reminded him he is supposed to be watching out for me.

shorts

Good to hear that you are all ok,

been there and done that many years ago, coming home from college, don't remember the last 40 miles and thanked dad for unloading the car when I got up the next morning, he didn't!  Any more when I'm tired I pull over and take a nap, usually just enough to fall asleep and refresh me on the second occurance it's time  for a motel room.

Statistics are starting to show/prove that sleep driving is more prevalent than was previously thought. be careful and don't drive tired or distracted

• Like 1

buckrancher

Glad you two are ok next time you need to stay overnight and leave in the morining

Brian

HorseFixer

Butch, MJ caught this on facebook last night.  :crying-yellow: We are sad that this happened but were very happy :)  that no one was hurt. As Brian stated we left this morning after a good night sleep and got home this evening about 7:30 after an 560 mile drive. MJ Heckled me all the way home (are you alright)? I would say there must be some power in that lucky cup I gave you at the campfire! THATS MY STORY AND I AM STICKING TO IT!  :ychain:   Take care my friend.

~Duke and MJ     :wh:

redidbull

Wow glad to hear you both are OK. On a non-stop trip from CT to St Louis, I hit the rumble strip and it scared the heck out of me. I was WIDE awake after that. Thanks for sharing your story and other too. I can happen to anyone. Jim

Edited by redidbull

jdleach

Also glad to hear you saved the situation, I have been in many similar straits myself. I drove a total of 1,246 miles on this trip, and thought it was unusual that I only saw three accidents. Two were quite minor, fender benders really, and the third one although pretty nasty looking, looked like everyone got out OK.

I used to "sleep drive" a lot when I ran my business, but this time around, I was very conscious of the fact that I carried not only my wife, but my daughter and granddaughter of 17 months. The thought of wiping out my family served to keep me pretty lively throughout the long journey.

speedyleedy

Glad you & your wife are ok..........

Wheel-N-It

Butch that old saying is true. God is good all the time. I'm so glad to hear you and the wife and everyone around you are safe.

Now get a good nights sleep and drink a five hour energy before you drive to the big show nest year. I always have a couple of the five hour energy drinks with me when I take a road trip. They really do work.

• Like 1

Butch

Thanks everyone. It was a learning experience. Duke I think it was the Cup that kept me off the wall !!

stevasaurus

Butch, glad you all are OK.  It was great to see you at the show.  You have an Angel looking over you.  :)

55rj35jr

Glad your ok we've all been there a time or two. thanks for sharing