Stigian

Project "Why Not"

Stigian

Evening all, well the air around the workshop has been red of late... Nope, not people getting angry, chassis painting instead :D

Two coats of Ford Cardinal red and a couple of clear coats..

WN959.jpgWN960.jpg

Even though the engine cradle was painted at the same time, a different light makes it look a different colour!

WN961.jpg

Out in the sun the red looks quite bright and contrasts well with the black radiator mount.

WN963.jpg

The engine after 2 of 4 coats of black engine enamel.

WN965.jpg

4 coats of black done and the engine looks a lot better..  I  didn't see any point in masking up the valve covers as they need to be stripped of silver paint and polished up..

WN966.jpg

Just so I could say I've started putting WN back together the king pins/spindles and rear axle were bolted on.

WN967.jpg

WN968.jpg

When the engine and wheels go back on tomorrow I will really feel like I'm getting somewhere with the reassembly... Well, until I have to start on the bodywork :D

• Like 6

Pullstart

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... "OOOOOOHHH SHINEY!"

Looks great Ian, keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Stigian
On 03/04/2016 at 0:39 AM, pullstart said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... "OOOOOOHHH SHINEY!"

Looks great Ian, keep up the good work!

Thanks Pullstart, the good work will be kept up :D

A big moment was reached Tuesday... With the help of Nigel, Matt, Dennis and Dennis's engine hoist (thanks guys) the engine went back in with only the minimum of paint damage..

WN975.jpg

WN972.jpgWN973.jpg

To add a bit of detail the GL500 badges were cleaned up an repainted..

WN974.jpg

Most of Friday was spent painting bit's black or red....

WN976.jpgWN978.jpgWN979.jpgWN980.jpgWN981.jpgWN982.jpgWN983.jpgWN984.jpgWN985.jpgWN986.jpg

It will be interesting tomorrow to see how the clear coats have settled.  If all looks good I can start bolting some more parts back on..

For those who like their updates to be moving pictures, here's the latest WN video... Enjoy :thumbs:

• Like 3

Stigian

Not a great deal to report, lot's of painted parts have been bolted back on...

WN987.jpg

WN988.jpg

The valve covers were swapped for the one off my spare CX engine as furry is easier to clean...

WN989.jpg

Lot's of polishing later...

WN991.jpg

WN992.jpg

WN990.jpg

More Ford Cardinal red paint has been ordered, so next week the body panels get the treatment :)

• Like 4

Stigian

Well... Everything I need to finish off the bodywork has arrived, filler, primer, topcoat etc but I found a slight problem!

As I started to clean up the fender pan I kept finding more and more stress cracks! I'm not surprised as WN has had a huge amount of being thrashing about and the arch bits of the fender pan were not as strong as they could of been..

The hard part was coming up with a way of adding strength that didn't change the look of the fender pan... Until...

A few welding burn marks!

WN995.jpg

I need to tidy up a few welds but you won't see the strengthening frame unless you on your hands and knees looking under the arch..   Oh, and it's added a huge amount of strength that should stop things from flexing :)

WN993.jpg

WN994.jpg

The underside of the fender pan has been cleaned up and red oxided..

WN996.jpg

Filler on, filler off!     I hate fillering but it's got to be done..

WN999.jpg

WN1000.jpg

The bonnet got a light skim of filler too..

WN1001.jpg

The extra cooling slot I cut in the front were made wider so they match the originals, a new bit of "grill mesh" was fitted behind as well..

WN1002.jpg

The top of the bonnet/hood had got to the point where it looked good and felt smooth..

WN1003.jpg

WN1004.jpg

Only one way to find out, hit it with primer.. Which I did and left it to dry overnight.

WN1007.jpg

Much to my shock the next day I found only a couple of high spots, a small low spot and a few pin holes in the filler..

So... More sanding, 3 good coats of primer, flatten back the primer and hit iot with 3 more good coats..... A bit of wet and dry work today will leave a very nice smooth finish for the top coats :)

WN1010.jpg

I have been working on the smaller panels as well, a bit of sun to help dry them..

WN1008.jpg

Quite fun as I had to keep moving bits inside to avoid rain/hail/snow showers!   Here's the next shower approaching! 

WN1009.jpg

Getting the front of the hood looking good has been interesting, lot's of fiddly corners to flatten down. You can see where I have started smoothing out the primer with the help of a guide coat..

WN1011.jpg

And that's the state of play at the end of today... I'm now away from the workshop for 4 days, it's going to be nice to get away from all that filler dust!

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

As usual you make your projects so nice looking. If you get to the States I have a 1984 El Camino that could use your help. Needs more that a re spray.

Cheers

• Like 2

Stigian
On 29/04/2016 at 2:23 AM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

As usual you make your projects so nice looking. If you get to the States I have a 1984 El Camino that could use your help. Needs more that a re spray.

Cheers

Thanks Jim...   I might be up for a bit of welding on your El Camino (if I'm ever your way) but I will have to give the body prep a miss as I actually hate doing it!   I'm sick of sanding bondo/filler!

When I was happy with the bonnet it got three heavy coats of red oxide which also need flattening back to a smooth finish.

WN1013.jpg

The fender pan has taken lot's of work, but when I was happy it was mostly the shape it should be I hit it with red oxide.. Nothing like a coat of paint to show where the flaws are... And there were loads!  :lol:

WN1012.jpg

Lot's more sanding and adding a bit of filler here and there we have reached this stage.. Only a few minor pin holes to sort out but I'm happy with how it looks now..

WN1014.jpg

WN1015.jpg

All the smaller panels are done apart from the final red oxide coats and some wet n dry flattening, and a thank you to Nigel for finishing the welding on the foot plates Friday :thumbs:

With a bit of luck everything will be getting top coats next week, it will be nice to see some shiny paint on them finally :)

• Like 1

19richie66

I love it! That thing lookes wicked sitting on the table with the motor in it and no hood. Gonna look really nice when you are done.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Stigian
On 08/05/2016 at 0:17 PM, 19richie66 said:

I love it! That thing lookes wicked sitting on the table with the motor in it and no hood. Gonna look really nice when you are done.:handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks Richie, the black and the red do work well together :D

Time for a well overdue update starting with......

A quick lesson in WHY NOT to rush a paint job!!

The ally dash surround and fuel tank holder thingy were both painted in a rush of enthusiasm so I could see what they looked like with the top coats on!!
Too much paint/not enough drying time/not sanding the primer coats looked just fine once the paint was on...
However Monday I uncovered Why Not only to find the paint had sunk and cracked in places!!
So yesterday I pulled the parts off to strip them of paint and start again!!!

So remember kids, don't rush a paint job!!

WN1016.jpg

WN1017.jpg

WN1018.jpg

Finally panel painting time had come :D

WN1019.jpg

WN1020.jpg

WN1021.jpg

Yes I know it's hard to believe but Nigel was actually moving so fast he had started to blur :lol:

WN1022.jpg

Speaking of blurred, sorry for this naff photo..

WN1023.jpg

Just when I thought I had finished with the red paint I found a rather large deep scratch in the freshly painted fender pan on Monday!!

WN1024.jpg

But somehow with some careful wet n dry work and some more paint the scratch vanished..

WN1025.jpg

The wheels had got chipped with all the test driving so the paint was flattened back.... Here's the rears..

WN1026.jpg

One front and two rears after a fresh coat of International Harvester White....    In a week or so they will be pin striped :D

WN1027.jpg

WN1028.jpg

• Like 3

Stigian

The braking system has been cleaned up and painted.. Here's the two master cylinders...

WN1029.jpg

The brake calipers and mountings got the same treatment.

I still need to bleed the air out the system, always a fun job with lot's of fresh paint nearby!

WN1030.jpg

WN1031.jpg

The headlamp blanking plate was rubbed down, repainted, mud somehow stuck in the fresh paint, left to dry, rubbed down yet again and repainted again!

For some reason this small panel has been the most troublesome paint wise and as you can see it's still not looking great!

WN1032.jpg

The white on the steering wheel center had faded quite a bit, so I gave it a careful repaint in IH white...  I don't want the gloss look so the white will be very carefully flattened back to take the shine away.

WN1033.jpg

Not a great deal left to do really, bleed the brakes, finish the wiring, sort the exhausts out, bolt a few more small parts on....  Not much really..

Edited by Stigian
  • Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

You are a wonderful instructor, show the problem and how to fix it. :thanks:. Great pictures.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Thanks for the update Ian, I can't wait to see it all back together and going [stopping too] again!

• Like 2

Stigian
On 22/05/2016 at 7:51 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

You are a wonderful instructor, show the problem and how to fix it. :thanks:. Great pictures.

Thanks Jim.. A wonderful instructor!!  That's a first :lol:

On 24/05/2016 at 11:32 AM, pullstart said:

Thanks for the update Ian, I can't wait to see it all back together and going [stopping too] again!

Your welcome Pullstart.... Funny you should mention stopping...

Tuesday was bled the brakes day.. The rears which were empty of brake fluid bled really easy, which was nice....

The fronts for some reason just didn't want to let fluid through! Lot's of faffing about including checking the calipers were actually working (they were) produced almost no brake pressure!

So... I moved the master cylinder up in line with the rear cylinder to give it more pedal leverage.....   Now the front brakes work really well :thumbs:

WN1034.jpg

Oh... And this also happened :D

WN1035.jpg

WN1036.jpg

WN1037.jpg

WN1038.jpg

Today has been exhausting.... Yep, it's sort the pipes day :D

WN1039.jpg

Once all the extras for the non working flame/smoke making system had been removed the pipes looked a lot cleaner.

WN1040.jpg

Only these two holes to sort out..

WN1041.jpg

That's better, just the welds to clean up..

WN1042.jpg

Out came a spare muffler so I could measure out and make something I've been planning to for a long time..

WN1043.jpg

Before the photo's a big thank you to Nigel for helping out with the exhaust wrap, a nasty itchy job that left us with itchy black stained hands!  So thanks again mate :thumbs:

WN1046.jpg

WN1045.jpg

WN1044.jpg

• Like 4

Stigian

A big thanks you to Nigel again, this time for pinstriping the wheels.. My hands were just not steady enough..

WN1047.jpg

WN1048.jpg

WN1049.jpg

Cheetah

I just read through this thread, and what you done here is really amazing!!

I showed a friend your muddy pic, and he just about fell on the floor on account he was laughing so hard :ROTF:

• Like 1

Stigian
On 30/05/2016 at 4:48 PM, Cheetah said:

I just read through this thread, and what you done here is really amazing!!

I showed a friend your muddy pic, and he just about fell on the floor on account he was laughing so hard :ROTF:

Thanks Cheetah, I hope your friend didn't hurt himself when he fell to the floor :D

Well Thursday was a very good day when a parcel containing custom decals arrived from Mark.. Perfect timing as it happened as all we had left to do was get WN off the bench and put some fluids in her..

So, a big :tthankyou: Mark for the great decals, the cream rather than white works really well :thumbs:

I guess now's a good point to do the "before and after" thing :D

As arrived from Chris's collection.. The green engine wasn't part of the deal, I just needed somewhere to put it :D

RZT2.JPG

The same machine after a bit of work :lol:

WN1054.jpg

WN1055.jpg

WN1056.jpg

WN1057.jpg

WN1059.jpg

All I need now is a better seat...

• Like 7

V-Four

Awesome. That's all I can say.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Well it looks like you chaps has just about finished Why Not . I know there must be plans for another creation floating around in your head . Perhaps it time to make something the "Posh" horse ladies would enjoy. Once again you and Nigel have outdone yourselves . Cheers and best regards. 

• Like 3

russellmc301

looks great now we need to see it under a cover to keep her pretty:)

what did you use for paint to get it that shinny? 

• Like 1

19richie66

She looks beautiful Ian. Great job.

• Like 1

Pullstart

One might look at the before picture and think... "there's hope to get it going" and one might look at it and think... "that's about 7 bucks in scrap" and two blokes might look at it and think... "can't wait to zoom 150 kilos an hour on that thing!"

nice work guys!

• Like 1

meadowfield

its the dogs danglies!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
1 hour ago, meadowfield said:

How big a dog ? I was thinking a Lions droopy do da 's 

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman

That's so cool, another awesome project Ian.

Been away from the forum for a while due to other commitments but hope to be making the odd post here or there again.

Andy

• Like 3

Stigian
On 06/06/2016 at 7:16 PM, V-Four said:

Awesome. That's all I can say.

Thanks V-Four.

On 06/06/2016 at 8:01 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Well it looks like you chaps has just about finished Why Not . I know there must be plans for another creation floating around in your head . Perhaps it time to make something the "Posh" horse ladies would enjoy. Once again you and Nigel have outdone yourselves . Cheers and best regards. 

Hi Jim, of course there's plans for the next build.. Two builds as it happens.. One wasn't planned, it just sorta happened.. Although it has four wheels and is red it's not a Wheel Horse! Expect a new thread in the "Non tractor related" section..

The other build also isn't a Wheel Horse, but it will look like one by the time Nigel and I have finished :D

On 06/06/2016 at 8:32 PM, russellmc301 said:

looks great now we need to see it under a cover to keep her pretty:)

what did you use for paint to get it that shinny? 

No point in a cover as she gets moved out the workshop each day to make some working space. The paint is acrylic spray cans, I put a couple of clear coats over the colour coats.

On 06/06/2016 at 10:58 PM, 19richie66 said:

She looks beautiful Ian. Great job.

Thanks Richie. :thumbs:

On 07/06/2016 at 0:56 AM, pullstart said:

One might look at the before picture and think... "there's hope to get it going" and one might look at it and think... "that's about 7 bucks in scrap" and two blokes might look at it and think... "can't wait to zoom 150 kilos an hour on that thing!"

nice work guys!

I tend to look at things and think "what if"?   :D

On 07/06/2016 at 6:35 PM, meadowfield said:

Thanks Mark, I did wonder why that dog was chasing me.. He want's he's danglies back :D

On 07/06/2016 at 8:17 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

How big a dog ? I was thinking a Lions droopy do da 's 

I think I'd rather be chased by the dog :lol:

On 07/06/2016 at 8:41 PM, wheeledhorseman said:

That's so cool, another awesome project Ian.

Been away from the forum for a while due to other commitments but hope to be making the odd post here or there again.

Andy

HI Andy, it's good to see you back, it would be cool to see some updates on your WH herd :thumbs:

Nigel and I took WN to a show at Brenzett last weekend, I was asked if I wouldn't mind giving a small demonstration for the crowds...   How could I refuse an offer like that :D

• Like 2