Stigian

Project "Why Not"

wheeledhorseman

Ian, I missed out on much of this project as a result of my father's illness but have just read the thread from start to finish. An awesome project that makes me think of the quote 'the distance between insanity and genious is measured only by success'.

It's a triumph of engineering inginuity (sorry it's Honda powered of course), but has the power to cause serious injury so don't get too carried away during the trials.

Andy

• Like 1

RedRanger

WN662_zpst2usw30p.jpg

WN663_zps4yamzysu.jpg

WN664_zpsoh1ddjfb.jpg

For me... This one really hits the spot :D

WN666_zpspmvina89.jpg

​Very bad ass!  
Is that front wheel camber intentional for handling?

• Like 2

Pullstart

2 words....  wow. speechless! 

• Like 1

callum12

incredible! sits so nicely, the GT14 gives a great sense of scale. what you've done with the front end (gussets and cap bits) look amazing!
so excited for test drive!

• Like 1

meadowfield

just so freakin awesome - gonna have to pay a visit soon!!!!!

• Like 1

Stigian

Thanks Guy's, my brain is a tad too tired to reply to all your great comments tonight.. It's been a long and busy day.. But worth it. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y8KKSt_X7o

C-101plowerpower
  • Like 1

callum12

words cannot describe!! 
what gear (s) were used here and how many does it have? 
can't wait for more! MORE!!
Callum

• Like 1

546cowboy

Totally AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

546cowboy

Horse46

WOW! that's completely nuts, I love it.
I see you went with the methodical shake down approach, just cane it and see what falls off ha ha mental.

I wouldn't fancy any high speed test on it  though, with no suspension and lawn tyres, what the speed rating on them? :auto-layrubber::wicked:

• Like 1

Horse46

@ 2.54 in the vid, you got air! I think a 5 point harness and a crash hat maybe needed for future demos.

• Like 1

Pullstart

imagine the news headlines "local police deputy outrun by lawn mower... air to ground team clocks the red blurr at triple digit speeds"

• Like 3

wrightorchid

Looks like calendar material for sure.  

• Like 2

callum12

definitely! it would be cool to have a calendar of all the heavily modded horses on red square.

its going to look incredible when painted

callum

• Like 1

steelhorse

Very cool! but please replace the air hose you used on the brake lines, brake fluid/oil will eventually break it down and you need good brakes with that power. 

Edited by steelhorse
  • Like 1

Stigian

That is too cool! I'm anxious to see the test drive video. :auto-layrubber:

​Thanks Bob, I'm sure you will of seen the test drive video by now.

You need to get decals made that look like stock decals but say "Why Not" somewhere on the hood and then one for the rear that says "I can". That really looks good Ian. Sits perfect. 

​Hi Richie, your on the right track with stock-ish decals.. Maybe Raider 48 decals each side of the gas tank and Why Not decal for the back somewhere..  

That thing is looking MEAN!

I think you should make the headlights resemble a pair of angry eyes. I too am anxiously awaiting burning some of the tread off them turf tires!

​Thanks dude, I did think about the angry eyes thing.. It might happen..  I also fancy a nice pair of small chrome lamps to go each side of the hood, kinda Hot rod style..

Excellent styling/design Ian. Look's like it's doing a 'Ton' just standing still !.
I visualise a couple of Rows of 'Knight Rider' Style Red LED Flow lights in the Recess and a little short Chrome Nerf Bar on the front Frame projections....... Got me at it now !!

​Hi Richard, The Knight Rider style lights made me laugh.. I'd have to get a "Speak and Spell" to get the Kitt voice :lol:

Ian, I missed out on much of this project as a result of my father's illness but have just read the thread from start to finish. An awesome project that makes me think of the quote 'the distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success'.

It's a triumph of engineering inginuity (sorry it's Honda powered of course), but has the power to cause serious injury so don't get too carried away during the trials.

Andy

​Hi Andy, you didn't miss much, only a strange bloke cutting and welding :lol:
I like that quote, I guess I'm on the thin line between insanity and genius with this build.. Quite a fun place to be :D
Don't worry, careful testing will be carried out until the bugs are ironed out.. And there are a few!

Stigian

​Very bad ass!  
Is that front wheel camber intentional for handling?

Thanks Ranger, the wheel camber is more for looks really..   It doesn't really effect the steering as I have a diff in the rear axle..  If I had a solid rear end then the camber would help a great deal with steering..

2 words....  wow. speechless! 

​Thanks dude.

incredible! sits so nicely, the GT14 gives a great sense of scale. what you've done with the front end (gussets and cap bits) look amazing!
so excited for test drive!

​Thanks Callum, I just had to get a side by side shot... Although the GT looks a lot bigger, WN is 4 inches wider!

just so freakin awesome - gonna have to pay a visit soon!!!!!

​Thanks Mark, yep you are going to have to visit soon :thumbs:

words cannot describe!! 
what gear (s) were used here and how many does it have? 
can't wait for more! MORE!!
Callum

​Thanks again Callum.. We only used 1st and 2nd gear, and we were not anywhere near "red lining it" it 1st!   She has 5 gears.

​Thanks dude.

Stigian

WOW! that's completely nuts, I love it.
I see you went with the methodical shake down approach, just cane it and see what falls off ha ha mental.

I wouldn't fancy any high speed test on it  though, with no suspension and lawn tyres, what the speed rating on them? :auto-layrubber::wicked:

​Thanks Horse, that wasn't caning it, we didn't have the space :D
Speed rating.. Er.. I don't think they have a speed rating!

@ 2.54 in the vid, you got air! I think a 5 point harness and a crash hat maybe needed for future demos.

​Yep, I got air.. I had no idea until I saw the video!  I did wonder why the steering got lighter :)

imagine the news headlines "local police deputy outrun by lawn mower... air to ground team clocks the red blurr at triple digit speeds"

​That made me laugh.. I might have to use it as a quote somewhere :D

Looks like calendar material for sure.  

​Thank you Sir... Maybe when she is finished and fully painted.

definitely! it would be cool to have a calendar of all the heavily modded horses on red square.

its going to look incredible when painted

callum

​A little way off paint yet Callum, but she will look the bee's knees when she is done.

Very cool! but please replace the air hose you used on the brake lines, brake fluid/oil will eventually break it down and you need good brakes with that power. 

​Thanks Steelhorse, the air line will be replaced with something more suitable when the final rebuild is done after paint... I don't like the blue anyway :)

A Why Not status update...

The good news I've fitted a rev counter and worked out how to wire in the temp gauge.

The bad news is... The brakes are rubbish.

The steering is a bit heavy, does not self center, does not have enough lock and is not enough turns from lock to lock..

The throttle pedal is at a painful angle for my ankles, as is the brake pedal.

The throttle pedal needs better return springs..

When braking it's hard not to hit the throttle at the same time!

So she needs a few tweaks..

The rear brakes will be sorted by fitting new shoes (I've ordered the right ones this time) and new adjusters both of which have been ordered..

The front brakes will be sorted by moving the master cylinder up a bit.

Sorting the throttle pedal problems just involves a little cutting and welding.

The steering problems will be a bit more interesting to solve..

The gearing in the 90 degree angle drive box thingy isn't quite 1:1 but it's close, this means the steering wheel does not turn much lock to lock..

I did think about a Land Rover steering box which is small enough to fit in the available space... Until I saw the price of them!!

So I have bought a small steering rack advertised as being for micro cars/kit cars...   It only measures 39 inches end to end, as WN is 44 inches wide it should fit in with only minor tweaks..

• Like 1

Pullstart

none of that list sounds too hard for a "strange bloke with a cutter and a welder"! 

is there any caster adjustment in the steering to help it find it's center?  you'll need to find a comparable sized car's specs to have it aligned :)  

• Like 1

ranger

Don't forget to factor in the increase in castor angle when you're doing wheeeeeelies Ian :auto-dirtbike::auto-layrubber:

• Like 1

PaulC

Ian you are once again working :wh: magic on the other side of the pond, great job man!! Its amazing how good it looks put together with only primer on it, earlier on in this build I was having a hard time imaging how it might look :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

I love to see all the custom stuff you guys build and hope that one day I can maybe pull something cool and custom together. I have the fabrication and design background (not sure about the whacky creativity) but I always sit back and wonder how it is you gents find the time needed to accomplish such awesome custom creations?? However it is that you do keep up the awesome work :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Stigian

none of that list sounds too hard for a "strange bloke with a cutter and a welder"! 

is there any caster adjustment in the steering to help it find it's center?  you'll need to find a comparable sized car's specs to have it aligned :)  

Thanks Pullstart, yes there is camber adjustment,  it's not the cause of the problem but a little less camber may help.

Don't forget to factor in the increase in castor angle when you're doing wheeeeeelies Ian :auto-dirtbike::auto-layrubber:

No need Doug, she won't wheelie.. I've tried :)

Ian you are once again working :wh: magic on the other side of the pond, great job man!! Its amazing how good it looks put together with only primer on it, earlier on in this build I was having a hard time imaging how it might look :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

I love to see all the custom stuff you guys build and hope that one day I can maybe pull something cool and custom together. I have the fabrication and design background (not sure about the whacky creativity) but I always sit back and wonder how it is you gents find the time needed to accomplish such awesome custom creations?? However it is that you do keep up the awesome work :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks Paul. Yes it's amazing what a coat of paint can do to the looks of a machine. Before it just looked like a load of box section with and engine, the primer really brings out the lines :D
You should have a go at building something custom, it's great fun and good for the brain finding ways around problems..
Sometimes whacky creativity isn't needed as project can take their own route.. This build started life as a simple 10hp zero-ish turn grass cutting machine, and due to lucky timing the Honda bike was offered to me which changed the direction of the build totally :)
As for finding the time, I have a condition called Dystonia which makes me unemployable on health and safety grounds, so I "play" (as my Wife calls it) with Wheel Horses to keep me active and the brain cells working.
Health and safety is still an issue in the workshop, but it's all on my neck so to speak..

A little bit to report but not many photo's..
The brake/throttle pedal problem has been sorted with a bit of welding and cutting so your foot no longer hit's the throttle while braking.

The rear brakes now have new cylinders, adjusters and shoes..

WN669_zpsuarnaa1i.jpg

For good measure the drums were given a de-glaze, and now I have nicely working rear brakes.

WN670_zpsjqslg82j.jpg

The small steering rack I bought arrived though after some careful thought I won't be using it for a few of reasons..
It would be a real nightmare to connect the rack to the steering wheel as the column would have to run down the right side of the engine through a maze of exhaust pipe, master cylinders, pedals, expansion tank etc.
I could turn the rack over and run the column up the left side where there's more space but to get it to steer in the right direction the rack would need to be in front of the front wheels which wouldn't look right at all..

WN671_zpsdhkenozc.jpg

Also we found that the right side king pin hub thingy was binding a bit rather than turning smoothly.. A few shims soon had that sorted. Along with bit of adjusting and giving the front wheel a little bit of toe out the steering was a lot less heavy and even started to self center.     The only problem now is the gearing in the steering box thingy making the steering about 1/2 turn lock to lock.. This is fine giving it a bootful in a straight line, but try turning under hard acceleration and things get very twitchy as you will see.
So the master of parts finding in the UK, The Showman has found me a steering box that's 2 3/4 turns lock to lock..  Thanks Chris :thumbs:
2 3/4 turns lock to lock may sound a bit much, but my steering set up will always be limited by the brake calipers touching the front axle so the lock to lock will be less.
I'm hoping the new steering box and a little less camber on the front wheels will get the steering sorted once and for all..

And for your viewing pleasure, a short WN vid, guest staring Meadowfield (Mark) and Matt the garden center manager.. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Pullstart

great video Ian!

My 7 year old is watching it with me and she says "I really want to drive that thing.  do you want to drive it daddy?  not as much as me I bet"

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It
Another creative build well done!
  • Like 1