Stigian

Project "Why Not"

Jparkes43

looking good, coming along nicely now, i like the new parts and pancake filters look really good 

james

• Like 1

nappypappy

WOW and Wow.....looking forward to it being finished and a test run video...keep up the great work..

• Like 1

Pullstart

do you know anybody with a swimming pool you could use as an e-tank?  horse trough?

• Like 1

Jparkes43

you know what thats a very good idea. 

james

Stigian

looking good, coming along nicely now, i like the new parts and pancake filters look really good 

james

​Thanks James, the new air filters certainly look much better than the over sized ones I bought by mistake :D

WOW and Wow.....looking forward to it being finished and a test run video...keep up the great work..

​Thanks dude, she's a long way off being finished but a test run video or two will be appearing first :D

do you know anybody with a swimming pool you could use as an e-tank?  horse trough?

​I miss my E-tank, but sadly there is no place to put one at my new workshop..  There is a swimming pool on site, but I don't think they would be too keen on not using it as a swimming pool!

Well, what a week that has been! My step daughter has been seriously ill for a few weeks resulting in her being rushed into hospital for an emergency operation last Monday. Since then she has been staying with us and quite rightly so my workshop time this past week has not really been much!       The good news is Lisa is now recovering quite well, and life is slowly returning to normal for both us and Lisa :thumbs:

What workshop time I have had this week has been taken up with welding..

The inside of the chassis where it meets the front axle has been plated up giving it a smoother look and thus changing my plans on how the front end will look..

WN611_zpspgcaubhs.jpg

The outside of the same bit of chassis could of been welded up and ground smooth, but it would never look as smooth as the inside bit..

WN612_zpstwmbgtjo.jpg

So a cardboard template was made and some WH panel off cuts were dug out.

WN613_zpsnsjcblyp.jpg

Resulting in....

WN615_zps2y01e0df.jpg

WN614_zpsmxq25c9f.jpg

The very front of the chassis under the axle needed tidying up, and as the whole build has a Hot Rod feel to it I thought the chassis needed the same touch..

Three bits of plate and a bit of box tacked together.

WN617_zpsp8uizupc.jpg

Which go here.... I would of welded them on but early Wednesday morning I ran out of welding gas.. I wondered why the last of the gas vanished very quickly and found a welding burn hole through the rubber pipe!  So watch out for flying sparks guys and girls!

WN616_zpsonzrv2em.jpg

New gas didn't arrive until late Thursday afternoon so instead of welding I did some cutting..  Eight plates marked out on some 5mm thick steel.

WN618_zpsg9sj6vwo.jpg

These would of been easy to make had I not wanted the curves!

WN619_zpsxkrfklrm.jpg

It wasn't until yesterday that I got the chance to weld all the new bits on.. Lot's of welding and lot's of grinding the welds smooth, but it was worth it :D

WN620_zpsasbxs76v.jpg

WN621_zpsvddwq4ca.jpg

WN622_zps63peeyd4.jpg

• Like 4

Horse46

Ian that is looking amazing, it's a shame most of it will be hidden when it's all together.

Best whishes to your step duaghter :smile:

• Like 1

19richie66

I'm liking the added on pieces a lot. Gives the front end a better look and adds support to the outer mounts. Great job Ian.

• Like 2

callum12

amazing work as always! :banana-dance::banana-dance:

• Like 1

Pullstart

great gussets Doc!

Stigian

Ian that is looking amazing, it's a shame most of it will be hidden when it's all together.

Best wishes to your step daughter :smile:

​Thanks Horse, I'm not giving all the chassis the smooth treatment only the parts that will be on show..
Lisa is doing well thanks, she is well on the road to recovery.

I'm liking the added on pieces a lot. Gives the front end a better look and adds support to the outer mounts. Great job Ian.

​Thanks Richie, the supports were always going to go on, I just couldn't bring myself to make them a basic triangular shape..

amazing work as always! :banana-dance::banana-dance:

​Thanks Callum :thumbs:

great gussets Doc!

​Why, thank you Sir :D

I didn't take many photos yesterday as it was quite boring stuff.. The day started with making lots of these small plates..

WN623_zpss7jrv4bb.jpg

To cover over these sort of bits on the chassis..

WN624_zpsn6r4pdsa.jpg

And the day finished with a red oxide chassis :D
The welding is 99% done, just a few small detail bit's left to do..

WN625_zpsyzelfmpu.jpg

WN626_zpsyep8nhqt.jpg

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower

Oeh i see WH tire smoke in the near future:auto-layrubber:

• Like 1

Stigian

Oeh i see WH tire smoke in the near future:auto-layrubber:

​You do indeed Koen, test drive time is not that far off now :woohoo:

Yesterday the engine frame got the treatment.. Some final welding and a bit of smoothing out..  Here the frame is fitted to the engine so  I could make a mount for the coil pack..

WN627_zpszhogtuc9.jpg

It always amazes me how a quick coat of paint can change how something looks...   A red metal sculpture:D

WN629_zpskoedttxb.jpg

Engine and a few other bits bolted back on.. The wheels were only thrown on to see how the front end looked.. They will be coming back off to fit the new tires/tyres.

WN630_zpsigtrrut5.jpg

A close up of the front end... Me likes how it looks :D

WN631_zpsclwgmzlx.jpg

Before the rear axle could go back on I had to pull it apart again! The mounting holes needed to be made slightly bigger but the brake backing plates were in the way stopping me getting the drill in... So it was easier just to pull the axles out to get the backing plates out the way.
I also needed to drill a small breather hole in the top of the axle and fit a jiggle pin..  A jiggle pin is a small split pin that's a loose fit in the hole.. The idea is the pin jiggles about and stops the breather hole from getting blocked up..

WN632_zpsh7nkyiv8.jpg

• Like 5

C-101plowerpower

Looking good Ian!

• Like 1

Horse46

Are you still going with the leaf spring looking front?

• Like 1

Catmanii

That is going to be one mean little tractor. Love it. :)

• Like 1

Stigian

Looking good Ian!

​Thanks Koen, she will look even better by the end of next week :D

Are you still going with the leaf spring looking front?

​I'm not sure yet until I get all the front end together and have a look... I think something will be needed to hide a space under the front of the hood, buy we shall see.

That is going to be one mean little tractor. Love it. :)

​Thanks dude.

Most of Friday was spent dealing with Nigel's latest Fleabay purchase (Pic's coming soon in a new thread :lol: ) but I did manage to get some WN time in..

Right side foot plate and handbrake lever bolted on.

WN633_zpsxgop49sh.jpg

The 90 degree steering box thingy was cracked open and filled with grease before being attacked with some red oxide... It will be getting a proper clean-up before the top coat goes on, but as I had a can near my hand it seemed rude not to spray it :lol:

WN634_zpsyoezycwu.jpg

The rear axle is back in and assembled..   I had forgot just how much I hate drum brakes, getting the springs and shoes in is a right pain... It's a shame the new brake shoes were the wrong ones (I'm starting to get quite good at ordering the wrong parts now!), but the old ones still have plenty of life in them so they will do for now...   The new brake cylinders I ordered were the right ones so they went in..

WN635_zpsngqbpy1w.jpg

And that's things up to date again, things are looking good for a test drive next week :D

• Like 3

Pullstart

Test drive next week?  The suspense is killing me!  Looks great, as always

• Like 1

Stigian

Test drive next week?  The suspense is killing me!  Looks great, as always

​I didn't quite make my Friday deadline for a test drive, but things are looking good for Tuesday :)

Brake reservoirs fitted

WN636_zpsv9ccwcnd.jpg

I thought it might be handy to have something solid to bolt the seat to, so I added some extra angle iron to the fender pan frame.

WN640_zpsgjpueyg1.jpg

The brakes are now working.. Here's the master cylinders all plumbed in.. The blue pipe is air line hose.. I did test to see if brake fluid would eat it away or not but sticking an off cut in a pot of fluid for a few days.. It didn't so I used it :)

WN637_zpsffce1mwh.jpg

Front and rear brake line splitters fitted..

WN638_zpssbf1in49.jpg

WN639_zpsprosp9z2.jpg

It took a few hours of fine tuning but the strange system does exactly what I want it to do... Only a little air left in the system to get out and the brakes will be done :thumbs:

• Like 1

Stigian

Air filters fitted, here's one of em.

WN641_zpsp9rqcogd.jpg

All the pedals are fitted and connected up.

WN642_zpsbyxsa0ki.jpg

WN643_zpsnt97soqh.jpg

Nigel being the good bloke he is spent a while Thursday afternoon cleaning up the welds on the front wheels.... A before and after kinda shot.

WN646_zpsijfg1tfe.jpg

A close up.

WN644_zpsvooicb7q.jpg

As much as I liked the look of the rust on the hood it has to be painted red, so I made a start on the rust clean up.. Not fun!

WN645_zpsparfcrsf.jpg

Friday was mostly about changing the front tyres and cleaning up the wheel rims..

If you want to see how I removed the old tyres click on the link below

http://myoldmachine....-refit/?p=21837

A cautionary tale for you all...

There I was busy cleaning a wheel rim with a sanding wheel in the electric drill. I can't hear anything over the sound of the drill, so I'm in a little world of my own..

I had no idea that Nigel had been behind me for a few min's trying to get my attention..  When he finally did get my attention it made me jump and knock the wheel I was working on off the bench!

The wheel hit the concrete floor with a bang and a flash!  I thought the flash was the wheel hitting a bit of flint mixed in with the concrete..

Until I looked at the rim....  Hang on.. That's the sort of mark only an electrical arc could make!

WN657_zps41qwbywe.jpg

The flash was not flint, it was the rim cutting through my extension lead!!!

WN658_zpsjdo4a6bc.jpg

Anyway, have a pic of a nice clean wheel rim...  It was soon given a couple of coats of red oxide followed my some grey primer before putting the new tyres on.

WN659_zpsshozh15c.jpg

Here's how she looked by the end of Friday.. Not much left to do :thumbs:

WN660_zpsu7v5xgyn.jpg

And to finish this update, a video..

• Like 2

callum12

getting very excited now!
where are you going to test out it 100mph abilities? old airfield maybe?
hope the finishing off goes smoothly, not too many creases to iron out :) 

• Like 1

Stigian

getting very excited now!
where are you going to test out it 100mph abilities? old airfield maybe?
hope the finishing off goes smoothly, not too many creases to iron out :) 

​Thanks Callum. We have a couple more possible options for high speed testing that are worth looking into. But no rush for the high speed stuff, best take my time and get WN operating good to start with.

Evening guys, today's "to do" list looked something like this....

Find out why the fuel tap is leaking..

Fill diff with oil.

Finish the wiring, it's about 90% done.

Finish the prop shaft.. About 50% done.

Bleed the brakes again to get the last of the air out.

Warm the engine up and change the oil.

Set the front end up.

Get WN off the bench..

Go for a test drive :D

Well, I didn't quite make the test drive deadline today, but getting very close..

Due to a measuring problem I had to make another sleeve to join the 2 parts of the prop shaft together...  For once I can say the measuring cock up wasn't down to me but measuring calipers.. Nigel will vouch for that as well!

Getting the engine running again was fun.. The spark at the plugs which was there yesterday had vanished today!!

After lot's of searching and :scratchhead: ing I traced the problem down to the run/stop switch which had decided that the run position just wasn't an option any more!

So sorting those two problems kinda killed any chance of a test drive today :(       But there's always tomorrow :D

The amended "To do" list..

Find out why the fuel tap is leaking..

Fill diff with oil.

Finish the wiring, it's about 90% done.

Finish the prop shaft.. About 50% 90% done.  It just needs welding and fitting.

Bleed the brakes again to get the last of the air out.

Warm the engine up and change the oil.

Set the front end up.

Get WN off the bench..

Go for a test drive :D

With WN off the bench it only seemed fair that I rolled her outside for a few photos..

WN662_zpst2usw30p.jpg

WN663_zps4yamzysu.jpg

WN664_zpsoh1ddjfb.jpg

For me... This one really hits the spot :D

WN666_zpspmvina89.jpg

• Like 6

19richie66

You need to get decals made that look like stock decals but say "Why Not" somewhere on the hood and then one for the rear that says "I can". That really looks good Ian. Sits perfect. 

• Like 2

Racinbob

That is too cool! I'm anxious to see the test drive video. :auto-layrubber:

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

That thing is looking MEAN!

I think you should make the headlights resemble a pair of angry eyes. I too am anxiously awaiting burning some of the tread off them turf tires!

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Excellent styling/design Ian. Look's like it's doing a 'Ton' just standing still !.
I visualise a couple of Rows of 'Knight Rider' Style Red LED Flow lights in the Recess and a little short Chrome Nerf Bar on the front Frame projections....... Got me at it now !!

• Like 1