Stigian

Project "Why Not"

Stigian

Evening chaps, yesterday I got WN's clutch pedal sorted...

Up..

WN544_zpsfussdlzd.jpg

Down....

WN545_zpspvequmbi.jpg

Now you may of noticed when the pedal is in the down position the pull on the cable isn't ideal, but this was soon sorted when I found a matching pair of pedals in a box under the bench!

WN549_zps3nsdx9ap.jpg

Of course I had to use a matching pair of pedals, so the newly found clutch pedal had a little trim, and extra hole drilled for the cable to attach to, and fitted.

The clutch has a nice feel to it. a bit of travel and not too sharp..

I need to fit a stopper to stop the pedal from falling back which is why it's held up with a spanner biggrin.png

WN553_zpslr6mytwv.jpg

As for the brake pedal, here it is almost in place. I need to trim about 3/4 inch off the inside to get it a little closer to the engine to make enough space for the throttle pedal.

WN551_zpstgxlnzba.jpg

Sorry about the finger in the photo th_hide.gif  but here you can (just) see the matching pair of bike master cylinders. They came from 1000cc bikes (no idea which bikes, it was a long time ago) and should be more than up to the job.

As you will of guessed one is for the front brakes and one for the rear..

The front's being bike calipers will be easy to plumb in... As for the rears, I have worked out a way of linking car and bike brake lines together that does not involve jubilee clips , but more on that when I get there.

WN552_zpsf7zjzsvz.jpg

Yesterday Nigel was looking for something to do, so I gave him one of the rocker covers to strip of paint and give a very quick polish.. Very good it looks too biggrin.png

WN546_zpsbmx87iw0.jpg

Unable to stop himself at this point one of the exhausts was pulled off to have the ally clamp polished and a coat of high temperature paint..

WN547_zpsoenikznb.jpg

Which lead to the question of what colour the engine should be painted.. Not having any gloss black between us part of the engine was quickly masked up and hit with more of the high temp paint.. Now it has dried to a matt finish it doesn't look that good, but while it was wet it looked great.

So the engine will be going gloss black with a few select ally parts polished up biggrin.png

Right side...

WN550_zpswbpzmiyv.jpg

Left side biggrin.png

WN548_zpsvtzboyjz.jpg

• Like 2

Pullstart

so once you figure out the brakes, you're saying you might be underpowered?  :ychain:

• Like 1

nappypappy

so once you figure out the brakes, you're saying you might be underpowered?  :ychain:

No way that will be Ha Ha...
  • Like 1

Stigian

Well, Honda did make a 650 turbo version of the engine... If one of those should happen to "drop on my lap" (highly unlikely), then it would be rude not to swap engines :lol:

No way that will be Ha Ha...

It could be underpowered. I'd guess it maybe weighs the same as the complete bike and I've still more stuff to add.

A little bit more progress has been made...   Brake pedal moved inwards a bit and what will be the throttle in place..

WN554_zpsyzrxvqsh.jpg

Sometimes the best solution is the simplest one..

As you know I am using two bike master cylinders for WN's brakes, one front brakes, one rear, but I also need a way to set the balance on them, or more braking at the back than the front as it's otherwise known..

I did look at brake bias valves but other than Chinese cheap rubbish they were all rather expensive!

I could of built a linkage using cams to apply different pressure to each master cylinder until a thought hit me..

As you will of seen by the photo in my last post I had been thinking of having the MC's next to each other... But what would happen if one was above the other? biggrin.png

Taaa Daa biggrin.png

WN555_zps2ojgoa2j.jpg

The higher you go up the lever the more it goes forward, so the top MC (rear brakes) gets more pressure and sooner than the bottom (front brakes) MC  biggrin.png

All I need to do is weld the MC frame to the chassis, change the lever bit for something a bit stronger and connect it via a rod to the brake pedal..

A little fine tuning will be needed I expect, but I'm rather hopeful this system will work thumbup.gif

WN556_zpsk5qdtlvn.jpg

I'd finish this update with a song, but as I don't want to scare you all away have a video instead :D

• Like 4

nappypappy

such nice work..........hope you put a kill switch on it just in case...

• Like 1

Horse46

You might want to fit a sissy bar, those motors have some power!

post-14145-0-21638100-1430157860.jpg

• Like 3

Stigian

such nice work..........hope you put a kill switch on it just in case...

Thanks dude..   Yep, there will be a big battery kill switch. Also like the racer boys I will be fitting a plug kill switch that clips onto the driver. If the driver comes off, the plug is pulled and thus the electrics are killed.

Oh, and the fuel tank will be fitted with the bike vacuum fuel tap.. Engine stops the fuel stop flowing... Plenty  of safety features me thinks :D

You might want to fit a sissy bar, those motors have some power!

I'm on the look out for a high backed seat that wouldn't look out of place :)

This morning while looking at the photo's of the master cylinders I had a flash of inspiration as you do.. smile.png

This won't hit MooTube for a little while but I thought I'd give you a sneak preview..

This is the prototype so it needs a bit of refinement, but you will get the idea biggrin.png

Click on the link below.

http://i212.photobuc...zpsgirdmxlk.mp4

Edited by Stigian
  • Like 2

Horse46

Genius, proper hot rod now.

• Like 2

Stigian

Genius, proper hot rod now.

Thanks mate :thumbs:

Only a small update guys..

Happy that my strange braking system will work, today I started to refine it a bit.

New connecting lever on the left, prototype on the right.. As you can see I decided it needed a bit of shape to it biggrin.png

WN557_zpsauqcsekk.jpg

Here it is fitted..

WN558_zpsvltb5ard.jpg

The handbrake lever looked like it had been pulled from an old Marina or something, so I gave it a "Wheel Horse" make over. The bottom half will be covered by the side panel..

I think it looks more the part biggrin.png

WN559_zpssbymwgd8.jpg

• Like 4

mels

Groovy.   :)

• Like 1

Pullstart

I've heard of the cha cha slide, now there's a dual action slide!  good thinking Ian

• Like 1

JC 1965

Wow Ian !!    Your videos amaze me. I can't wait to see this monster when you get it finished. Thanks for keeping us updated.       :thumbs2:

• Like 3

Stigian

Groovy.   :)

Thanks Mels

I've heard of the cha cha slide, now there's a dual action slide!  good thinking Ian

Thanks Pullstart. It was just a flash of inspiration one morning really :)

Wow Ian !!    Your videos amaze me. I can't wait to see this monster when you get it finished. Thanks for keeping us updated.       :thumbs2:

Thanks Jerry, happy you like my videos.. Just uploading the next one as I type this :)      Your welcome to the updates, in fact here's quite a big one :D

The braking system is now finished bar a bit of plumbing and finding somewhere to bolt the reservoirs to.

A few photo's of the finished linkages..

WN560_zpsvrah3pbn.jpg

WN561_zps1ntd9zaa.jpg

WN562_zpskbh8sv85.jpg

WN now has a working throttle pedal.

WN563_zpsgqlaoooj.jpg

A simple bolt on bracket converted the pedal from push to pull.

WN564_zpsc06abics.jpg

To stop the clutch and throttle pedals from flopping backwards I made a couple of these anti-flop stopper thingys.

WN565_zpshfzujjvf.jpg

Time to move onto a different part of the build, fuel and air.

Here's the tank I'm using, I bought it from Nigel long before the workshop move.

WN566_zps2tzpaih1.jpg

To make sure the engine gets enough fuel I needed to fit the Honda's fuel tap, which means I need to cut a bit out the Honda's tank..

Even though the tank had been empty for many months with no cap of tap fitted it still had that old petrol smell..

So be be sure it wouldn't blow up when I cut into it I used my old trick involving some rolled up paper and a blow torch....  And yes I did light it outside biggrin.png

WN567_zpszsg7qyz4.jpg

Edited by Stigian
  • Like 2

Stigian

Well, nothing went bang so out came the grinder..

WN568_zpsd86fhvet.jpg

Strange baffle thingy.. I guess it's there to stop dirt from entering the carbs..

WN569_zpsvi1qa2md.jpg

About to go under the knife grinder

WN570_zpswws1kper.jpg

After fuel tap pipe enlargement surgery..

WN571_zpspworokym.jpg

I had to lower the fuel tap to give me a fighting chance of getting some sort of air filter fitted!

Yes the fuel tap outlet is lower than the carb fuel inlet, but as the tank is above the inlet gravity should still do it's thing and fuel the carbs up.

WN575_zpswzevprwn.jpg

The old fuel tap hole was blocked up by screwing in the end of this bolt and some welding.

WN572_zpsjeh1qbje.jpg

I still need to make some brackets to bolt the tank down but as it will need to go in and out a lot while I sort the induction side of things out that job can wait a little while..

Speaking of induction, this was the carbs to air filter box pipework.. I only needed the carb ends..

WN573_zpskjutzjcq.jpg

Which were a perfect fit over this 2 inch diameter pipe, or part of a Reliant prop shaft to give it it's full name..

WN574_zpsgor0secl.jpg

The plan is to plumb this pipe into both carbs and stick and air filter on both ends....   This time I will make sure I get the right size filters biggrin.png

WN576_zps2ul1ly7c.jpg

• Like 2

Stigian

As it turned out the remains of the Reliant prop shaft was too short, but I did have these Reliant axle off cuts which could be welded together to get enough length.

WN577_zpsbwun4xhv.jpg

A template for cutting out notches.

WN578_zpsyw2cqakf.jpg

A nice tight fit..

WN579_zpsufbkun0b.jpg

Lot's of cutting, grinding and welding later..

WN580_zpsyxakcctw.jpg

I need to "port" the inside a bit more to help air flow.

WN581_zpslsufhzpm.jpg

Fitted to the carbs.

WN582_zpsr4as0upy.jpg

WN583_zps7f9wlast.jpg

But will the hood stand still fit??

I had to trim a little off the hood stand, but yes it fits :thumbs:

WN586_zpsefwe58h6.jpg

The left side was an even tighter fit with the fuel tap present, but fit it does.. :D

WN587_zps1vfcqijr.jpg

All I need to do now is by a pair of correct size air filters and trim the tubes to length..

Speaking of air filters, I thought it would be a laugh to put on the way over sized filters I had bought a few weeks ago :lol:

WN584_zpsklcc8h6i.jpg

WN585_zps3z17eqyo.jpg

And to finish off this update, here's the last two parts I need to fit before I pull the whole thing apart for final welding....  Test drive time is getting closer by the day :thumbs::D

WN588_zpseakvzxzh.jpg

• Like 3

Stigian

• Like 2

nappypappy

amazing work for sure..

• Like 1

RedRanger

amazing work for sure..

Agree!   :bow-blue:

• Like 1

callum12

as said many a time, superb engineering there!

can't be long now before we see you pounding around on it? 

callum

• Like 1

Stigian

amazing work for sure..

Thanks dude.

Agree!   :bow-blue:

Thanks Mr Ranger.

as said many a time, superb engineering there!

can't be long now before we see you pounding around on it? 

callum

Thanks Callum.  By the end of today I hope to have WN stripped down to the bare chassis for final welding. So yes, pavement pounding is not that far away now :D

Morning chaps, yesterday's progress for you..

The expansion bottle is now fitted in the only place it could go.. It's a bit tight in there!

WN589_zpsida6pzk7.jpg

The bottom of the bottle may look rather close to the prop shaft but the is a good inch gap between the two.

WN590_zpswerq085m.jpg

The carb tube air filter thingy now has a couple of tabs to bolt it to the hood stand.. The carbs now have extra support which they never did on the SilverWing but did on earlier models!

WN591_zpssa0dqpko.jpg

The battery box is now mounted although I need to add a little extra bracing.. The battery comes out through the top.

WN592_zps6hlsagd6.jpg

WN593_zpsxiilouu7.jpg

And playing around with hood hinges..

WN594_zpsausxtegt.jpg

• Like 4

Jparkes43

its all coming along now!! i know i haven't been commenting etc but thats because i'm sitting here stunned at your work. 

james

• Like 1

Stigian

Thanks James, no need to be stunned but grinning madly is allowed :D

Morning chaps, yesterday was a busy day in the workshop..

I wasn't happy with how the battery box sat, so I cut it off and started again..

It's a bit hard to get photo's as it's tucked away in the chassis, but it has a mounting bolt at the back, two underneath...

WN596_zpsxasnq0ek.jpg

And one on the side..   Plenty strong enough now thumbup.gif

WN597_zpspgvuozpk.jpg

A rare photo of Nigel smiling biggrin.png

WN595_zpshzpwxypg.jpg

A very narrow axle..

WN599_zps2jzdwbwx.jpg

And lot's of parts on and under a fold up table...

WN598_zpsknxfckrd.jpg

Which can only mean one thing..... The strip down has started so I can fully weld up the chassis biggrin.png

WN600_zpshylu1x6u.jpg

WN601_zpsdmel6itr.jpg

• Like 2

callum12

while its stripped will you take the opportunity to make a start on the painting?

i reckon gloss black chassis and WH colours everywhere else that would look really nice. 

can't wait!!

callum

• Like 1

Pullstart

Ian, do you need a clip on roll cage for that chassis?

• Like 1

Stigian

while its stripped will you take the opportunity to make a start on the painting?

i reckon gloss black chassis and WH colours everywhere else that would look really nice. 

can't wait!!

callum

Hi Callum, while WN is apart the chassis will be getting cleaned up and sprayed with red oxide to add a bit of protection for now.

She won't be getting the full paint job until any bugs have been ironed out and any tweaks that need tweaking are tweaked :D   I'd hate to have to cut into nice shiny fresh paintwork..

The colours will be standard Wh colours body and wheels, gloss block engine and maybe rear axle... And a few polished ally bits :)

Ian, do you need a clip on roll cage for that chassis?

No roll cage as it would only make the center of gravity a lot higher..

Morning all, a bit more progress for you..

Starting at the top... Brake fluid reservoirs mounting bracket.. Only tacked on at the mo.

Middle...                   Bonnet hinges...

Bottom...                  Two bit's of box welded to the engine frame... These will bolt to the chassis and will add vital strength to that area..

WN602_zpsua5gzvtv.jpg

Getting the engine out was interesting, slide it forward and lift at the same time!

WN603_zps1l0fif0y.jpg

Engine frame bolted back on to help keep things in line during welding... Plenty of surface rust to be cleaned off!

WN604_zpso30a6blp.jpg

A view you would only normally get if you were lying on your back and had just been run over by WN biggrin.png

WN606_zpsbk0iy8yt.jpg

I did make a good start on the cleaning up and welding yesterday, lot's of joints like this needed welding up..

WN607_zpsojsu58bb.jpg

A few more parts have turned up.. New front tyres, sorry for the rubbish photo..

WN610_zpsmwlvldwh.jpg

And some shiny stainless pancake air filters..  These are for a 1098cc MG Midget engine so two of them should flow more than enough air. smile.png

WN609_zpsh9tpvfnp.jpg

WN608_zpsamz7dlbw.jpg

• Like 2