Stigian

Project "Why Not"

ranger

good idea, make sure the seal is good between the fuel and beer side, don't want petroly beer! or worse get your tractor drunk!!

i say aluminium too anyway!

Could run engine on alcohol as well :) :) :)

• Like 2

oaktown1987

Why can't we just leave wheel horses sTock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

callum12

because its like leaving a canvas blank!!  :)

• Like 1

Stigian

i love it, maybe a toolbox, fuel tank or sandwich box behind the rear seat? a stainless steel brushed metal fuel tank would look amazing!

Thanks Callum, I think the space behind the seat will be staying as it is.. I don't want to put any more weight behind the rear axle if I can help it. There is a space saved under the hood for a fuel tank :)

Have you ever just picked up a piece of steel and said "I just cant use this"?  :omg:

Shockingly, yes... But only if the bit of metal is too small, too rusted, or just too twisted out of shape :D

Stigian

An aluminum, ( We say 'aluminium' ) beer keg as a fuel tank, split half & half fuel & beer      But only drink the beer when all the fuel has been burnt

p.s. After a full throttle wheely down the strip, You'll be ready for a drink :UK:

good idea, make sure the seal is good between the fuel and beer side, don't want petroly beer! or worse get your tractor drunk!!

i say aluminium too anyway!

Could run engine on alcohol as well :)

Your both nutters, you know that don't you :D:lol:  

Why can't we just leave wheel horses sTock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just can't help myself :D

Seriously though, there are plenty of stock Wh's out there so the odd custom machine can't hurt..

When I got this Wh (a Raider 10, one of the most common in the UK) it had no engine, wiring, fuel tank, hood, seat.. Badly rusted fender pan and belt guard, odd wheels on the front.. The list goes on..  So really it was only a "parts" machine..

So what I have done is give it a second more exciting chance at life :)

because its like leaving a canvas blank!!  :)

Well said :D

Stigian

I hope you all like lot's of photo's as there's quite a few biggrin.png

I've turned my attention back to the front end, it would be nice to get it rolling so it can be taken off the bench and wheeled outside for a good look...

Anyway, I did a little tweak to the disc hub thingy to create a bit more caliper space inside the wheel.. I'm happy there's plenty of clearance now..

WN405_zpsn7ex5nlf.jpg

My front end design came from http://www.ronsbits.co.uk a place that sells mower racing parts to... Well, mower racers smile.png

WN406_zpsc7zicfgk.jpg

My starting point is this lot.. A block of steel that need cutting in half, a length of steel bar that needs cutting in four, and four rather large rose joints, here's two of them..

WN407_zpspssa5xim.jpg

Steel block sliced in two, one half has been faced off in the lathe to make sure it's square.. Or even rectangular smile.png

WN409_zpsfjsmvsws.jpg

The trailer spindles I'm using need a little trim in the lathe, here's Nigel trimming one of the spindles..

WN408_zpsefcp7wzg.jpg

Ta Daa..

WN410_zpse5jfh9gb.jpg

Now for the fun bit.. The block needs a hole bored through it at a 6 degree angle to give me some good steering geometry.. If I had of had a big enough drill bit I could of just set the bed on my pillar drill to the right angle and drilled the hole..

WN411_zps50tqclpz.jpg

But as I don't have a big enough drill bit I had to work out how to do it on the lathe..
After a lot of thought I came up with a simple solution using a bit of cardboard and something that looks like a tuning fork but minus the handle!

WN412_zpsds7ng9sw.jpg

Plonk the block (making sure it's the right way round) in the rectangle conveniently marked out on the cardboard..

WN413_zpspgagpgoc.jpg

Line the ruler up with the other line which just happens to be at the correct 6' degree's to the block..

WN414_zps29if3kpw.jpg

And add the half of tuning fork until it lines up with the ruler. The end of the fork tips (I need to think of a better name for it biggrin.png ) also has the correct angle to make it line up right...

WN415_zpsp708snjt.jpg

Clamp everything down firmly (there was a 8mm thick plate under the cardboard for firm clamping), and weld the fork to the block..

WN416_zpsp5pa8bzn.jpg

• Like 1

Stigian

So how did the block at an angle look spinning around on the lathe???   Blurred!  laugh.png

WN418_zpsv0lep7tu.jpg

So I thought I'd better turn the camera flash on which has the power to stop time for a split second biggrin.png

The boring drill bit wasn't quite big enough so I had to use a boring bar to take the hole out to the right size..

WN417_zpsqyqprduo.jpg

Anyway, have a photo of a spindle stuck in a steel block at just the right angle biggrin.png

WN419_zpshoyexigk.jpg

A quick bit of reassembly to check block to disc clearance.. There be plenty thumbup.gif   I will be tapering both ends of the block to make it look nice, but also to give a bit more space allowing me to get the block a bit closer to the wheel..

WN420_zpsjc3sarao.jpg

Mounting the calipers should be easy, just make a bracket to bolt on the caliper and weld the other side to the block biggrin.png

WN421_zps0v1pzxpx.jpg

A bit of mass production, all machined to length.

WN422_zpsjizrrqol.jpg

Turned down to the right diameter and one notched..

WN423_zpseyspz6tk.jpg

The notch is for fitting a rose joint..

WN424_zpsazsuclar.jpg

This will sit about here... I need to bore a 3/4 inch deep hole in the block to sink the steel bar into..

WN425_zpss9ag196s.jpg

Which will get the rose joint sitting about here...

WN426_zpsfrzvgfuq.jpg

And that folks is this thread up to date once again...

Making my own front end (steering and brakes) is certainly a lot of work and lot's of thinking is involved, but I'm really enjoying the challenge.. Your never too old to learn biggrin.png

• Like 5

Trouty56

I for one, appreciate how well you document these projects and how you explain each step....really is an eye opener for me.....THANK!!!

• Like 1

Stigian

Thanks Bob, it's good to know I'm not making it too boring a read :D

Good progress has been made made today, both steel blocks have been bored out to take the lengths of steel that pivot in the rose joints..

WN429_zpsptr570sy.jpg

WN427_zpsd9xw3j32.jpg

WN428_zps3p8irwd6.jpg

Jumping slightly forward here as I forgot to take photo's of all the stages..

Both pivot thingys have been drilled and a thread tapped to keep the rose joints in position, and both pivot thingys were press fitted into the block.. a nice tight fit they were too smile.png

WN430_zpsepymo6cv.jpg

You may of also noted from the above photo that the whole thing has been put in the lathe so I can cut a few tapers...  If your wondering it span quite straight only a 1mm out of true.. Quite chuffed with that smile.png

WN431_zpsjzq0y25p.jpg

Stub axle installed, another tight pressure fit.. I still need to weld it all together, and yes the bearing will be coming off before the hot sparks fly..

WN432_zpsrcvc5vsv.jpg

I'm rather happy with how this front end lark is coming together biggrin.png

WN433_zpse2svwcjl.jpg

• Like 2

callum12

looking amazing

lathes...there're so versatile aren't they!

have you ever thought about a milling machine? i know i have

thanks again for a update

• Like 1

Stigian

looking amazing

lathes...there're so versatile aren't they!

have you ever thought about a milling machine? i know i have

thanks again for a update

Thanks Callum, yeah lathes are great machines, it's amazing what you can do on them..

I'd love a milling machine, one would make life much faster and take a lot of use from my poor lathe..    As it happens I'm off to look at another lathe today.. No idea what make it is... Should be interesting though..

With both kingpin steering pivot thingys welded up (although in need of a little cosmetic grinding), the time had come to mount them to the front axle at an angle of 80 degrees

WN436_zpsigjalita.jpg

A close up for ya all..

WN437_zpsvn6cdxek.jpg

And at last Why Not is finally on all four wheels.. Yes the camber is a bit radical but that will be sorted when some nylock nuts arrive hopefully tomorrow.

WN438_zpsdusnhwx2.jpg

Of course now with Why Not rolling she had to be taken off the bench and wheel outside for a look at her on ground level..

But before those photo's a BIG th_thankyousign.gif to Nigel for helping all day Monday to get Why Not on all fours.. Thanks Mate thumbup.gif

A few photo's taken in the great out doors biggrin.png

WN440_zpsapfpnyc8.jpg

WN439_zpswgyyipgx.jpg

WN442_zpsg3dsed1u.jpg

WN441_zpssfj8l7uw.jpg

WN445_zps4ihfvdmg.jpg

WN444_zps1lyrymjc.jpg

WN443_zpsxn5srvo4.jpg

WN446_zpsulux0m0w.jpg

And for your viewing pleasure a video biggrin.png

• Like 6

Pullstart

Mounting the calipers should be easy, just make a bracket to bolt on the caliper and weld the other side to the block biggrin.png

love that!

you're making amazing progress with such great skill and confidence!  This is so much fun watching it all come together.  do you have any bloopers reels of video or do you not really mess up and "scrap" an idea?

thanks for sharing Ian

Kevin

• Like 1

19richie66

Very cool Ian!

• Like 1

Horse46

This is sooooo close to being a hotrod, I wouldn't be able to help myself. Break out the english wheel and roll some cool fenders!!

• Like 1

JC 1965

You've made a lot of progress Ian. I love the video. Can't wait for your first trial run, and can't wait until your next video. Thanks for sharing.      :thumbs2:

• Like 1

callum12

this is going to be soo cool, do you have any doubts about stability at speed? i suppose the camber will keep that in check.

• Like 1

Don1977

A roll bar and wheelie bars might be a good idea for that Bad Boy!

• Like 2

Stigian

love that!

you're making amazing progress with such great skill and confidence!  This is so much fun watching it all come together.  do you have any bloopers reels of video or do you not really mess up and "scrap" an idea?

thanks for sharing Ian

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, the only bloopers I have on video are me messing up my lines and totally forgetting what I was going to say.   When I built the 6x6 I spent too long trying to get bit's working (like the brake steering) that clearly were never going to work!

With this project I'm taking my time thinking this through so I only have to do them the once.. So by taking my time I'm actually saving loads of time :D

Very cool Ian!

Thanks Richie :thumbs:

This is sooooo close to being a hotrod, I wouldn't be able to help myself. Break out the english wheel and roll some cool fenders!!

Making it look like a hot rod is the idea :D    I think the rear fenders are cool, but they just needed a little tweak to get them sitting right..

You've made a lot of progress Ian. I love the video. Can't wait for your first trial run, and can't wait until your next video. Thanks for sharing.      :thumbs2:

Thanks Jerry, the video wasn't over the top was it? It was a rather long one!   I can't wait for the first trial run too, but a little while to go until that happens..

this is going to be soo cool, do you have any doubts about stability at speed? i suppose the camber will keep that in check.

Thanks Callum.. strangely enough I don't have any doubts about stability at speed...   It's hard to explain, but when I sat on her for the photo's it just felt right....   Having driven a racing Wheel Horse (if only for a few laps around the track) they feel quite unstable and very twitchy due to the short wheel base.. Even at standstill you just get the feeling that it will be "interesting" to keep in a straight line...

Due to Why Not's much longer and wider wheel base that feeling just isn't there.. It feels long and low.... Like I said, it's hard to explain :)

A roll bar and wheelie bars might be a good idea for that Bad Boy!

Hi Don, a roll bar would be good for safety but not so good for keeping the center of gravity low..   I don't think the wheelie bars will be needed.. Now I know how heavy the front is after removing it from the bench (two people could of just about lift the front but three were easier), I can't see the front wheels lifting under a hard launch.. Light steering maybe, but no more..... Then again, I may be wrong.. Some more thinking is needed :D

A bit more progress, the second brake disc and spacer/hub adapter thingy have been made and welded to the hubs...

Brake caliper in place but not fitted yet.

WN447_zpspexoczoj.jpg

Almost full lock..

WN448_zps0noqhj7g.jpg

One thing bugged me with the outside photo's... The fender pan looked to be leaning towards the back!!    But with a bit of box section wedged under the back a much meaner aggressive look emerged...

I guess I have a few tweaks to do in this department biggrin.png

WN449_zpskaf3djhe.jpg

• Like 1

Stigian

Evening all, well after the shock of finding a fully grown tree outside my workshop when I arrived!

WN450_zpstnkno62d.jpg

I started to sort out this mess of wiring..

WN451_zpsggndonr7.jpg

And by the end of the day, the Beast has awakened biggrin.png

• Like 6

Horse46

That made me chuckle, when it back fired.

I think you may need bigger silencers though, man that thing is loud!

Definately needs a custom mower deck Stigian, i can see now...lovely summer evening, the motor puring away  :grin:

• Like 1

nappypappy

great job just wish I was that good on that kind of work....

• Like 1

RedRanger

Put a smile on my face.  Totally bad ass!   :banana-rock:

Faithfully watching for the next step.  Looking forward to the finished project.

Nice work.

• Like 1

19richie66

See Ian jump? Lol

• Like 1

Stigian

That made me chuckle, when it back fired.

I think you may need bigger silencers though, man that thing is loud!

Definately needs a custom mower deck Stigian, i can see now...lovely summer evening, the motor puring away  :grin:

I thought the backfire would make people laugh, that's why I left it in the vid :D

When WN was first started she didn't have any silencing at all. sliding the end cans on didn't really make any difference as they were such a loose fit!   But rest assured, she will be a bit quieter when the first test drive comes...

great job just wish I was that good on that kind of work....

Thanks..   I'm self taught at this fabrication lark, so you could be too....  You sound keen to be building something so give it a whirl. You never know, it might come naturally to you :)

Put a smile on my face.  Totally bad ass!   :banana-rock:

Faithfully watching for the next step.  Looking forward to the finished project.

Nice work.

Thanks dude, the next step is on the way :)

See Ian jump? Lol

That's the beauty of video you see... You can rewind and watch me jump over and over again :lol:

Well, after getting distracted by a lathe, moving the workshop about, a random tree and making lot's of noise Thursday, I'm finally cracking on with the front brakes again and get the calipers mounted..

Add a bit of metal, that bit under my finger..

WN453_zpsk6lfcbpr.jpg

Throw in a couple of triangles to put some strength back, here's one of em.

WN454_zps832ywskz.jpg

Garnish with a couple of long bolts including having to drill through the kingpin pivot spindle thingy!

WN456_zpsf0p0hsm6.jpg

Tack welded together.

WN457_zpseg5d5ruy.jpg

A fully welded up caliper bracket.. I think don't think it will fall apart in a hurry biggrin.png

WN458_zpsze9a8gjr.jpg

One bolted on caliper, one to go..

WN459_zpsobzsbghs.jpg

WN460_zpszvgqgpob.jpg

Yes I will be cleaning up the welds at some point.. And yes the wheel does still fit biggrin.png

WN461_zpsgujeqr0z.jpg

Edited by Stigian
  • Like 4

Jparkes43

nice work there, good job that they still actually fit!

james

• Like 1