Horse46

And that wing  :grin:

• Like 1

Jparkes43

And that wing  :grin:

that would be awesome

james

km3h

Outstanding job and remarkable innovation. As usual you go way beyond the simple and engineer a spectacular project.  

• Like 2

meadowfield

Awesome work Ian, look up kids quad disc brakes. The discs are cheaper to buy than make!

• Like 2

Jparkes43

:D  :D  :D  :D:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

WN288_zps621397421_zps82a74ddd.jpg

james

Horse46

Awesome work Ian, look up kids quad disc brakes. The discs are cheaper to buy than make!

Good point, Pit bike parts are cheap to.

• Like 1

Stigian

some nice progress, erm i dont see why you couldnt make your own disc i mean how hard could it be :) or could you just mill down the original caliper?

james

Thanks James. Which calipers are you talking about milling down? The Honda bike calipers are way too big to be able to fit where I need them to go even with milling down..

I have to keep checking I'm not on Brit chopper when I read your posts Stigian, this is the kind of bonkers I used to look forward to reading when I was into building choppers!

I've never made my own discs, I always found stuff that could be made to fit, however I thought about it for at least a minute and then and idea sprung forth  :idea:

MAYBE, ok it's a big maybe, but a REAR motorcycle disc might work, they are much smaller in diameter, and some of the older types have a bit more centre to them, which could help for making new holes ?

I'm not sure James but they may have to be a certain steel or treated for extreme heat? I could be wrong as well lol.

Brit Choppers.. I like that :D

The problem with using a ready made disc be it bike, quad etc is I'm very limited on the space available to actually bolt the disc down.. Space is very tight in there!

I was thinking you could make one of you wheel centres and bolt weld?? to the centre of a disc like this ( if it was small enough to fit) just an idea of course, not really thought ot out properly, but who knows food for thought.

Your kinda there, both bolts and welds will be used :)

yes but i was thinking if you made one it wont be vented (yes you could slot and drill it) but not vented and at why not speeds that might be a problem? because it will over heat?

James

but ive never tried to make one i mean you could try!!

Hi again James, vented discs would be way over the top for what I need front brakes to do..  The front tyres are only small and don't have that much contact with the ground. Too much braking force would only cause the front wheels to lock up which is what you don't want them to do.. Locked up front wheels = no steering!

I might drill the discs to aid cooling, some ducts to force air onto the discs is another thought.

Stigian

Outstanding job and remarkable innovation. As usual you go way beyond the simple and engineer a spectacular project.  

Thank you Sir :thumbs:

Thanks Mark, but if you happen to have all the materials kicking about, then it's cheaper to make than buy discs :D

EZGO ST front brake rotor. Should be able to get them over the pond

http://playersgolfcars.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70_272

Thanks Richie, I had a look at the website but all the discs are way bigger than I could fit in the wheel..

I do have an update for you chap's, but I need breakfast first.. So to tide you over until I've eaten here's a video..

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

since you don't need that much braking force in the front wheels, how about something like this?

http://www.dx.com/p/zoom-hollow-out-bike-bicycle-mechanical-disc-brake-line-yellow-silver-52468#.VMzUA2iG9sg

or these

http://www.dx.com/p/aluminum-mountain-road-bicycle-disc-brakes-w-rotors-black-front-rear-67035#.VMzUqmiG9sg

Koen :flags-netherlands:

Edited by C-101plowerpower

Stigian

Right.. Face stuffed so where were we?  Oh yes, an update..

Both front wheels are now re centered and fully welded up... Here's the second wheel.

WN347_zps5enm4yoo.jpg

WN348_zpskwlolxn9.jpg

And now onto something new for me.. Making a front end that is not only strong, handles and steers well, but also has brakes..

As you will of seen in my last update I toyed with the brakes idea, yesterday was the day to see if I could make it work..

But rather than cutting and turning steel I made a fake brake disc from scrap ally just to see what could be made to fit.. The disc is 5" diameter and 4mm thick..

WN351_zpsvkzbg8lq.jpg

Time to dig out a bit of history..    One of the twin caliper mounting plates..

WN349_zpsnzbzv6ot.jpg

And the "Stig Double pumper" both of which were part of my 6X6's ill fated brake steer system..

WN350_zpsxvlygist.jpg

It's a tight, but a Qwakasaki Gpz305 caliper will just about fit in the wheel rim..

WN352_zps64agx0xd.jpg

Even better is I can get the steering pivot points rather close to the wheel, the bottom one might even fit inside the wheel which will make for better steering :)

If you think of this wheel as the left side with the caliper at the rear inside and the ruler being the pivot point you will get the idea..

WN353_zpsnf5wjgic.jpg

So now I know my brake idea can be made to fit I need a way of mounting the brake disc to the inside of the wheel hub...

Lot's of measuring and scribbling later, a plan...

WN354_zpsk4buhyqo.jpg

Off cut's of steel are always handy to have about the place :thumbs:

WN355_zpsolw5tj4f.jpg

The start of the first wheel hub brake adapter thingy.... And this Gent's brings the build up to date..

WN356_zpswityqkln.jpg

• Like 2

JC 1965

Thanks for the video Ian. This project is coming along great. You are a fine craftsman with a great imagination. You make all your projects look easy. Can't wait until the next update.    :thumbs2:

• Like 1

Stigian

Thanks for the video Ian. This project is coming along great. You are a fine craftsman with a great imagination. You make all your projects look easy. Can't wait until the next update.    :thumbs2:

Thanks Jerry :thumbs:

After lot's of turning the lump of green painted steel in the lathe in my last update turned into this spacer/brake hub thingy..

WN357_zpssxjijtj6.jpg

WN358_zps3plocbax.jpg

Next up in the lathe was a stripped down wheel hub..

WN360_zpspbovmppx.jpg

Notched..

WN361_zpskr7djtlv.jpg

The spacer/brake hub thingy is a perfect fit thumbup.gif

WN362_zpszgs5t26o.jpg

And now for the brake disc starting with this 5 inch square of 5mm thick steel... I've no idea what the coating is or what they do during the manufacturing process but this steel is very hard stuff which is quite handy for a brake disc, but it makes it a right pig to turn on the lathe!

WN363_zpsdkvkorbb.jpg

Getting there..

WN364_zpsvpudkw5c.jpg

Almost there...

WN365_zpsdtq1spoa.jpg

Spacer thingy and disc..

WN367_zpssg4giuev.jpg

th_woohoo.gif It all fit's inside the wheel... Just biggrin.png

WN366_zpsadxcy4j4.jpg

A hint of things to come... I can't do anymore brake or steering work until some carbide cutting tips and some rather hefty rose joints turn up.. It will be nice to get away from the lathe for a while anyway smile.png

WN369_zps241oconz.jpg

So yesterday I decided I'd have a look at the fender pan and seat mounting...

There is only one way to work out where the seat will go....

Yep, that feels about right biggrin.png

WN370_zpszycnb2te.jpg

This is the start of the seat/fender pan mounting frame, I do need to add more but I need the fender pan to fit first so I can work out what's what..

WN375_zpsxzorwdjm.jpg

WN374_zpsma9d2zdw.jpg

Hhmm... The fender pan needs a bit of work to make it fit.. It need to be wider and the bit the seat bolts onto need to be about 6 inches lower!!

WN372_zpsdcai3gli.jpg

WN373_zpsu6ynvksr.jpg

Let's tackle the widening bit first..

The original fender pan was very rotten in the middle and at the back, but I kept the "arches" parts should they come in handy one day smile.png

A 2 1/4 section was sliced from the spares arch and plonked roughly in place.. Due to fender pans having lot's of different curves and contours a few tweaks will be needed smile.png

WN379_zps9vacum7g.jpg

A bit of cutting and welding later and the fender pan was wider one side with matching curves up top.. Oo-er missus laugh.png

The front and back don't quite line up, but I can't work that bit out until the center of the fender pan is in place..

WN377_zpslrdfaadj.jpg

WN378_zpsb2aemj0y.jpg

You can see how much wider it is compared to the left side.

WN376_zpszwy0m2tn.jpg

And that Gent's is this build up to date other than.......

A video biggrin.png

Edited by Stigian
  • Like 2

Jparkes43

yay well done Ian it looks so good with that widened fender pan. are those brake disc making destroying your tools :) good luck for the rest of it.

james

• Like 1

neil

Superb video Ian , what kind of seat is planned ?

• Like 1

Catmanii

Really great job. I like the idea of making everything you can instead of buying the parts. If you have the meterial and the equipment then making your own parts truly makes it yours.

• Like 1

Stigian

yay well done Ian it looks so good with that widened fender pan. are those brake disc making destroying your tools :) good luck for the rest of it.

james

Thanks James. Yes the brake disc's didn't help my cutting tool's out at all..   But as it's taken me 2 odd years to get through a box of 10 cutting tips I can't blame it all on the discs..

Superb video Ian , what kind of seat is planned ?

Thanks Neil..  No idea on the seat yet, I guess it's what ever turns up at the right price and right time.

Really great job. I like the idea of making everything you can instead of buying the parts. If you have the meterial and the equipment then making your own parts truly makes it yours.

Thanks dude.. I do try and make as much as I can.. Why buy it when when I can make it :)   Also with a project like this, ready made parts will just not fit so I have no option other than to make bit's..

More bodywork..

With both sides of the fender pan widened but not fully welded..

WN381_zps934ik6pj.jpg

It was time to sort out the drop in the middle.. A dig through the pile of scrap metal on site produced a couple of metal shelves which were just the right thickness...

A bit of chopping and tack welding later and although not perfect the arches bit were looking good.. They do need to be angled down towards the front a bit more.

WN384_zpsme4ruq71.jpg

Inner arch panels fully welded..

WN385_zpseucn0gcg.jpg

Looking from the inside, I think that could be classed as good welding penetration biggrin.png

WN386_zpsgvdmqjmh.jpg

And here's how it looked by the end of yesterday. The arch extensions each side have been fully welded and all welds smoothed down. The bit's of steel across the top are only there to hold the arches square until I can get some strength added..

WN387_zpsrasjuxtp.jpg

WN388_zpse6u2clho.jpg

WN389_zps6v41kzli.jpg

• Like 3

Jparkes43

Amazing as you always do i need to say anymore. No. But i will, i love how sort of standard the rear pan looks although it has an awesome custom look to it at the same time almost like wh made it to be like that.

james

Stigian

Thanks James, I'm trying to keep a hint of Wh to the fender pan to keep it looking right.

This morning started with some cardboard templates to try and work out what would look right..
But before I could turn the cardboard into steel I need to A... Make the center bit first.. And B.. Find some steel to make it out of!

WN390_zpsxurqdwja.jpg

Treasures from the scrap pile biggrin.png

WN391_zpswdjrqpdu.jpg

Adding a curve to the center bit.. Yes that is a broom handle I'm about to fold the metal around smile.png
As it turned out the curve was a tad too tight so it was reshaped around a scaffold pole..

WN392_zpscdewzsyx.jpg

As Nigel (thanks mate thumbup.gif ) has a bead rolling machine I thought I'd put it to good use and roll the traditional Wh swage line in the back..

WN394_zpse7i5prpx.jpg

And now the part which ties the arches and center section together... I need to tweak the shape a little and add the swage line tomorrow, then it can be welded in...
I have to say I'm quite chuffed about how the back end has come together biggrin.png

WN395_zpsovo0rmhi.jpg

WN396_zpsrzx4b1uf.jpg

A view from underneath.. The flanges will be staying as they will add a handy bit of strength to things once they are plug welded together. The flange will also be used for mounting the fender pan, keeping the mounting bolts nicely hidden away..

WN397_zpslph3rsb1.jpg

• Like 2

19richie66

Nice look Ian. Should be nice all welded together. Are you going to have a panel going across behind the seat or is there not enough room? I think that would dress it off nice kind of like setting the seat in its own little pocket. Either way it looks good.

• Like 1

Stigian

Nice look Ian. Should be nice all welded together. Are you going to have a panel going across behind the seat or is there not enough room? I think that would dress it off nice kind of like setting the seat in its own little pocket. Either way it looks good.

Thanks Richie..   There is plenty of space behind the seat for a panel across, I'm not sure if it needs it or not, but it would add extra strength across the back.. Something to think on me thinks :)

More metal work, starting with a small patch at the front..

WN398_zpsqw9oehke.jpg

Chopped..

WN399_zpsuystqfqs.jpg

And patched back up.. Only a bit longer..

WN400_zpssri55wcc.jpg

Rear panels mostly tacked in place...  I was standing on the GT 14+2's seat to get this high up photo biggrin.png

WN401_zps1audxcj2.jpg

Mostly welded up and hit with red oxide to get it all one colour.. When I first put the pan back on I wasn't sure I liked the shape or not..  Maybe the "dropped" bit's should of gone down at an angle? Maybe the top of the drops should have more curve?

Anyway, with a seat plonked on and a couple of exhausts sticking it looks a little better.. What do you guy's think?

WN402_zps7seagypn.jpg

WN403_zpskwffiilk.jpg

WN404_zpsv4ejib9y.jpg

And for your viewing pleasure, here's the latest video.. Enjoy.

Edited by Stigian
  • Like 3

callum12

i love it, maybe a toolbox, fuel tank or sandwich box behind the rear seat? a stainless steel brushed metal fuel tank would look amazing!

• Like 1

ol550

Have you ever just picked up a piece of steel and said "I just cant use this"?  :omg:

• Like 2

ranger

i love it, maybe a toolbox, fuel tank or sandwich box behind the rear seat? a stainless steel brushed metal fuel tank would look amazing!

An aluminum, ( We say 'aluminium' ) beer keg as a fuel tank, split half & half fuel & beer  :cool:  :cool:  But only drink the beer when all the fuel has been burnt :grin: :grin:

p.s. After a full throttle wheely down the strip, You'll be ready for a drink :UK:

Edited by ranger
  • Like 1

callum12

An aluminum, ( We say 'aluminium' ) beer keg as a fuel tank, split half & half fuel & beer  :cool:  :cool:  But only drink the beer when all the fuel has been burnt :grin: :grin:

p.s. After a full throttle wheely down the strip, You'll be ready for a drink :UK:

good idea, make sure the seal is good between the fuel and beer side, don't want petroly beer! or worse get your tractor drunk!!

i say aluminium too anyway!

• Like 1