Stigian

Project "Why Not"

Jparkes43

thats very good ian, who said reliants where bad cars.

james

• Like 1

scWHhauler

I think i have found a use for my Harley V twin, in my GT 2500.

• Like 2

Stigian

thats very good ian, who said reliants where bad cars.

james

Only Clarkson and anyone who has rolled a Reliant says they are bad cars :lol:

I think i have found a use for my Harley V twin, in my GT 2500.

I like your thinking... Go for it :thumbs:

Right guy's a bit of an update for you.. Work has been happening on Why Not, just not quite as fast as I'd like..

These two bits of blue box have been welded to the back of the body and screwed to the bench..

WN209_zps34a9a026.jpg

And a couple more lengths at the front.. These hold the bodywork in the right place so I can work out how the new chassis rails will run..

WN210_zpsd6c91cb6.jpg

The time had come to get cracking on with building the rest of "Why Not's" chassis, but before I could do that I needed to make sure the rear axle was in the right place and would stay there.. So I dug out some old angle iron to make a pair of bolt on axle stands..

WN214_zpsa3d213bc.jpg

But how to find the center of the axle!!

WN215_zps65898d13.jpg

Not a problem... I bolted a thin steel plate over the hole and gently tapped around the edges of the bearing hole which kinda gave me an outline, but a rough one..

WN218_zpse0fe865e.jpg

Once  the plate was removed it had a nice smooth sharp bearing hole mark... Just right for marking out the middle biggrin.png

WN220_zps5558a136.jpg

The center mark was given a light nudge with a punch so it could be seen on the outside and then bolted back to the axle like so smile.png

WN225_zps4185b3dc.jpg

A view from the rear.. The axle is 100% in the right place now and is firmly fixed down to the bench..

WN224_zps760dd2bf.jpg

And the prop shaft mocked up..

WN226_zps7d500f32.jpg

• Like 2

Stigian

And onto the chassis....  Almost smile.png

I thought it would be handy to have a way of mounting the axle to the chassis so I marked out a couple of squares of steel, cut them out, tack welded together, but it was only when I started to bore the centers out on the lathe that I realized the square plates were going to be too small!!  banghead.gif

WN231_zpsb88ba5cf.jpg

Take 2 on a slightly bigger scale.. That's take 1 on the bench behind it!

WN232_zps43fbfadb.jpg

A perfect fit around this axle off cut..

WN233_zps15718abb.jpg

Chopped in half's and tacked on to the axle.. The sticking up bit's at the back are temporary and were only added to keep the plates the right distance apart for tacking onto the axle...  Strengthening will be added but on when I have the chassis sorted..

WN235_zps663ea187.jpg

WN236_zpsd344f58b.jpg

And finally the first 2 new bit's of chassis roughly in place..

WN237_zpsc605459b.jpg

Working out the step up and step out so the rails line up with the axle mounts is going to be fun biggrin.png

WN238_zpsd4c20529.jpg

Why Not now officially has lower chassis rails... Only tacked together and in need of a few cross members but they are there all the same biggrin.png

The angles look a bit strange in the photo's but the rails kick out and the up to reach the axle..

WN239_zpsb12c8a4e.jpg

WN240_zps06000d39.jpg

Stigian

And as of yesterday "Why Not" has top chassis rails...   It's been quite interesting working out the angles and getting them to match the bottom rail angles without any plans :D

WN245_zps3df87467.jpg

WN246_zps1b3978d6.jpg

WN247_zpsa5cf6ab6.jpg

Work on "Why Not" is going to have to speed up a bit now.. Due to an unexpected phone call on Thursday it looks like we are moving house in a little under 2 months time!!  So I need to get Why Not rolling to make it easier to move!!

19richie66

It looks awesome Ian! I think you have done great considering you have all this in your head and nothing on paper to go by. I know how that is.

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Fantastic build!! :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

• Like 1

chris sutton

Liking the chassis rails Ian, looks a lot of progess since I saw it last

• Like 1

redrooster

Kinda reminds me of when you Brits took our P51 Mustang and made it come alive with your Rolls Royce Merlin!

• Like 1

Stigian

It looks awesome Ian! I think you have done great considering you have all this in your head and nothing on paper to go by. I know how that is.

Thanks Richie.. I think it would of taken me longer to work out and draw out plans than it's taken to hold the bit's of bx in place and work it out from there :D

Fantastic build!! :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

Thank you :thumbs:

Liking the chassis rails Ian, looks a lot of progess since I saw it last

Thanks Chris, it's getting there.

Kinda reminds me of when you Brits took our P51 Mustang and made it come alive with your Rolls Royce Merlin!

Hhmm.. wonder if a Merlin engine could be made to fit... Not sure the rear axle would take the strain though :lol:

A small update for you.. The chassis has gained some strength, joining the sides, top and bottom together..

WN248_zps751065a9.jpg

The prop shaft  has been temporary tack welded together so I can see where it will run..

WN249_zps74345419.jpg

A bit of strength at the Wh chassis and the extra chassis joining point... Quite why I didn't go to the inside edge of the WH chassis rails I'm not sure.. Something for later me thinks..

WN250_zps2cb6f8ac.jpg

And two temporary mounts to hold the bodywork in place..

WN251_zpscb109b3b.jpg

Like so smile.png

WN252_zps6ae93498.jpg

And that Guy's and Girl's may well be the last update on this project for a while... Rather busy trying to get the shack packed for the move, though I will get some photo's for you when I've unscrewed it from the bench and got it rolling again :)

• Like 1

Pullstart

nice work once again Ian!

• Like 1

Stigian

nice work once again Ian!

Thanks dude :thumbs:

By using the latest in hi-tech axle fixing materials..

WN253_zpsda8bf206.jpg

Project Why Not is rolling once again... biggrin.png

WN254_zps98a4de44.jpg

The narrowed trailer axle won't be staying but it is handy for getting some wheels under the back laugh.png

WN255_zps7d684758.jpg

• Like 1

JC 1965

Wow Ian !!    Your skills amaze me. Please keep us posted on this build.      :thumbs2:

• Like 1

Pullstart

Get some duct tape around that wire tie and you'll be good for a good 100k miles (kilometers?)

• Like 1

Nathanielperz

When will she be ready Ian?

km3h

I was beginning to wonder if there was going to be any part of a Wheel Horse left on this project. Looking very good.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

C'mon, that's done...     :teasing-poke: 

put fire in the hole, let's go for a ride. 

• Like 1

Catmanii

May not pull a plow very well, but should outrun everything in the country. I like it.  :)

• Like 1

Stigian

Wow Ian !!    Your skills amaze me. Please keep us posted on this build.      :thumbs2:

Thanks Jerry, more updates will be coming but maybe not for a few weeks.. Rather busy with a workshop and house move!

Get some duct tape around that wire tie and you'll be good for a good 100k miles (kilometers?)

It could do with some duct tape as the axle started twisting when Rob and I got her off the bench..  As long as it stays on for about 100ft I'm happy :D

When will she be ready Ian?

It might be a little while yet Nathan..

I was beginning to wonder if there was going to be any part of a Wheel Horse left on this project. Looking very good.

Thanks Nick. There will be plenty more Wh parts going back on.. Tweaked a little but still Wh parts all the same.

C'mon, that's done...     :teasing-poke: 

put fire in the hole, let's go for a ride. 

It's not quite there yet Craig.. I don't fancy trying to push it up to it's top speed :lol:

May not pull a plow very well, but should outrun everything in the country. I like it.  :)

Your right about the plowing but I will fit a tow hitch so it can still be used as a tractor :)    

Stigian

Well today I finally started working on Why Not again which felt rather nice after weeks of bench building and getting the new house sorted out..

This is what she looked like when I arrived in the workshop this morning..

TM41_zpsfc7b939f.jpg

It didn't take long to get her stripped down to an almost naked chassis..

WN256_zps5ed514b7.jpg

The front axle soon came off followed by the front of the chassis!!!

WN257_zpsf65d0cf2.jpg

So why did I cut the front of the chassis off?    Well, after much thought I have decided to remove what was left of the original chassis, the main reason being strength which is a nice thing to have plenty of with all the hp the engine produces..

It also looks quite out of place with the rest of the box chassis rails.

But before I can remove all the original chassis, I need to add some new chassis rails each side..

A bit hard to see from the photo's but the new rails gradually tuck in under the engine and straighten up at the front again for the new front axle I'm going to make..

WN258_zps3d527f61.jpg

WN259_zps2aad5d54.jpg

WN260_zpse3f4e2cd.jpg

Not a huge amount of progress, but it's a start biggrin.png

• Like 4

Jparkes43

good to see some more progress Ian. not much but still some

james

• Like 1

Stigian

good to see some more progress Ian. not much but still some

james

Thanks James

Yesterday was the day the last bit of the original Wh chassis was removed..

WN263_zps934ede59.jpg

The new chassis certainly looks cleaner without the old rails inside smile.png

WN262_zps56827040.jpg

The front end is starting to take shape. The big box across the front will become the new front axle after it has had a change of shape, some strengthening and something added to give it a real Hot rod look biggrin.png

WN265_zps0c5f8197.jpg

WN264_zps1eaf178e.jpg

Oh... And I found a spare plug yesterday biggrin.png

WN266_zpse9e647df.jpg

• Like 3

Catmanii

Looking better all the time. Keep up the good work.  :)

• Like 1

Horse46

I've just read this thread from the beginning and its amazing, completely mad but who cares about that. I almost built a trike a few years ago, plan was to use an old Moto Guzzi lump. This build reminds me of it.  :cool:  Can't wait to see it finished.

• Like 1

fabricator2009

Looking Good.

• Like 1