Stigian

Project "Why Not"

Stigian

that is too funny a reliant axle, well if it works you may aswell use it!! 

james

Hi James, it's the axle the trike builders use in the UK, which is good enough for me :)

Isnt 4x4" a golf cart wheel pattern? You can get them in 8",10",12" diameters everywhere.(at least over here). That axle looks beefy.

I'm not sure on a golf cart wheel patterns as I've never played golf, but it is the same pcd as a lot of trailer and small car wheels..   Thanks to a very kind chap called Doug (Hi Doug), I have a pair of 12" tall Mini Clubman wheels heading my way. They will need a bit of widening but are the correct pcd :)

You better put a roll cage around that Wheel Horse mate.  If Jeremy Clarkson from TopGear has taught us anything, it is that Reliants don't do anything well except roll over suddenly without warning. :auto-swerve::laughing-rollingyellow:

Fingers crossed having 4 wheels will stop it from rolling over :D

Sorry for the lack of progress on this project guy's, the 6x6 has been keeping me busy, but all being well I can make a good start on it next week... Watch this space :D

Edited by Stigian

Anglo Traction

You better put a roll cage around that Wheel Horse mate.  If Jeremy Clarkson from TopGear has taught us anything, it is that Reliants don't do anything well except roll over suddenly without warning. :auto-swerve::laughing-rollingyellow:

Your right about that for sure. Reliants also don't make a good substitute for a Space Shuttle either according to the Top Gear Team-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR-yFM   

Keep up the Imagineering Ian. If you need different wheels to WH, then use 'em . Saves a lot of messing around.  

• Like 1

Stigian

You just have to love the TopGear boys :D       If Project "Why Not" flies, it won't need any rockets strapped to it to make it happen :D

First of all a big THANK YOU to Doug for sending me a pair of late Mini (a Mini as in the proper car not the German thing!) 12 inch wheels which bolt straight onto the Reliant axle.. Thanks Doug, your a gent thumbup.gif

And second of all, another big THANK YOU to Bryan the mad Reliant man for the prop shaft.. I know it's unlikely your be reading this, but thanks anyway thumbup.gif

Anyway, have a photo of the wheels and prop shaft.

WN116_zps21b71e66.jpg

The wheels will need a bit of banding (widening) to get normal size WH rear tyres on, it would be something I would normally do myself but do to the er... interesting speeds "Why Not" could reach I'm going to take them to an engineering company to get widened instead.. Best play it safe on this me thinks smile.png

WN117_zps397c93c8.jpg

Out of interest I slipped an over wide tyre on the rim..

WN119_zpsafd29af3.jpg

Just to see how it looked.

WN120_zps41965aff.jpg

WN121_zps93b2a5c6.jpg

The prop shaft was up for the chop next, after some careful measuring the end of the prop was cut off which was all i needed.

WN123_zps99c4192c.jpg

Splicing the Honda and Reliant props together should be quite simple, I will just make a collar that fit's both sizes and weld it all together.

WN124_zpsaefed4b2.jpg

Before I started thinking about narrowing the axle I thought it would be wise to balance a few bit's together to see how it looked with the fill width axle..

Eeekkk!

WN125_zpsc6bedb8d.jpg

With the main body tub cut to fit over the diff, "Why Not" didn't look to bad from the front..

WN126_zps7ebf5d9a.jpg

But from the back!!!!!      Yes, I think the axle does need to be narrowed biggrin.png

WN127_zps7943f5e0.jpg

Jparkes43

Thats WIDE!!!, wow it will be very stable with that width, but i agree maybe just a little off it

james

meadowfield

Needs trimming just enough to get through the existing door... Unless you are making a new one :p

Stigian

Thats WIDE!!!, wow it will be very stable with that width, but i agree maybe just a little off it

james

Hi James, yeah it is a tad too wide, but that will soon be sorted.

Needs trimming just enough to get through the existing door... Unless you are making a new one :P

Another door would be handy Mark, It's a pain to have to move 2 Wh's out the shack just to get a 3rd one out!  

With the 6x6 finally (fingers crossed) up and running again I now have the time to really get my teeth into Project "Why Not".. 

I've got a busy 3 days ahead so work won't start until Tuesday but yesterday I did crack the Reliant axle open to see what was involved in the narrowing process smile.png

WN128_zps1142724a.jpg

The diff is in good condition but the bearings have seen better days and will need replacing.

WN129_zpsadce17ae.jpg

The actual axles are quite meaty bit's of kit's, 27mm diameter.. For some reason I was expecting them to be a little smaller (Well it is Reliant after all), so I was happy to see the actual size of the axles thumbup.gif

WN130_zps8f8ef2a5.jpg

I don't really need to take the rear hubs off, but while the axle is apart I should really fit new hubs bearings so off the hubs must come..  Even with the brake shoes etc removed it's still going to interesting getting the axle and hub under my 10 ton press.

WN131_zpsd9b722d2.jpg

• Like 1

neil

Ian , I thought it only right to show our American audience a pic of you standing by your doner car from which your axle Came from, as I am not sure that they would be familiar with our highly prestigious reliant three wheel limo

post-2119-0-80030600-1408785588.jpg

post-2119-0-35726300-1408786174.jpg

• Like 3

meadowfield

:D

Perfick Neil...

• Like 1

Gwtaylor

That thread is totally bonkers keep up the work

Stigian

Evening chaps, after a busy few months sorting out the 6x6, the shows and car problems work on "Why Not" has started again :)

After a much needed clean-up in the shack the rest of the Reliant axle was stripped down..

WN128_zps2ca4b7d3.jpg

All the brake gubbins was removed from the axles..    The steel bar behind the axle is what I will be making the sleeves out of.

WN131_zps9b19de36.jpg

One side of the axle housing cleaned up and unneeded brackets removed...  I may or may not reuse the outer axle mounts, so they will stay on for now until I decide.

WN129_zps9ec4c0ed.jpg

Then after a chat with Nigel about how "Why Not" should look when it's finished, I found myself armed with a craft knife, a can of silver polish, and an old sock!!

WN132_zpsb6a02d8f.jpg

And polished up a bit of one of the rocker covers to see how it looked!       I fear a "full on" custom paint job may be in order biggrin.png

WN133_zps30d7572a.jpg

WN134_zpsd9ba162e.jpg

These are the original engine mounts cut from the bike frame, the trouble is that's what they look like... But the thick walled tube bit will come in handy for making my own mounts..

WN135_zps07af2781.jpg

So I cut them out and cleaned them up..

WN136_zps608747e3.jpg

Now for a bit of thinking... Known as wheels..

Even though Doug very kindly sent me down a pair of 12" wheels that bolt straight to the Reliant axle (Thanks again Doug) I just can't shake the picture in my head of "Why Not" running WH wheels at the back..

Which brings me back to the problem of the Reliant axle being a 4 bolt 4" pcd, like this Kitten wheel..

WN137_zpse973f640.jpg

And of course a Wh wheel has a 5 bolt 4 1/2" pcd..   With the measuring caliper divider thingys set at 4" apart you can see the problems with how close the new holes would be to the old, and also the new holes would end up too close to the er.. Big hole in the middle of the wheel..

WN138_zps0f0c31f7.jpg

Another problem is the Wh wheels are not what you call flat in the middle and any 4 bolt pcd pattern would clash with the ups and downs of the wheel..

Making a new wheel center with the right pcd would be quite easy on my lathe... The problem would be cutting the center out of the WH wheel accurately as it's way too big for my lathe..

Until I was sitting with a smoke and a coffee pondering the problem and I happened to glance at the rear wheels on my WH 312...    

It will take a bit of working out but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a 12hp Kohler powered lathe biggrin.png

So the new plan is to cut the center out the Wh wheels and replace them with my own made centers biggrin.png

WN140_zps442b1e3e.jpg

• Like 1

Stigian

I have a vision in my head about how "Why Not" should look when it's done, somewhere between these two rather nice Hot rods but without a roof and flames that are not mostly yellow :D

hrdp_1006_01_o1933_plymouthhot_rod_coupe

1103sr_01_o1932_ford_five_window_coupefr

The axle narrowing is going to have to wait a little while until I get the wheels sorted (handy for working out how much I need to narrow the axle :) ), so I've been making a good start at getting the engine mounted..

WN144_zps5c43c7f2.jpg

A couple of bit's of thick wall box...

WN145_zps69432e60.jpg

To which I need to fit these engine mounting tubes cut from the bike frame.

WN146_zps129ae4bc.jpg

As I don't have a metal hole cutter big enough I had to use the lathe..

I've had this lathe for at least 6 years but this is the first time I've had to mount something "off centered"!

WN147_zpsac5e1d69.jpg

A short while later...

WN148_zpsc0ea960a.jpg

I'd best weld the tubes in then... Yes that is a MIG welder, and yes it is connected to the bottle of gas behind smile.png

WN149_zps023c7898.jpg

Speaking of gas... I left myself a couple of note to remind me to turn the gas off biggrin.png

WN150_zps7cf76969.jpg

Zapped!!  I think they should be strong enough.. biggrin.png

WN151_zps6872eb61.jpg

And attached to the chassis... It is only tack welded on for now just so I can level the engine and get the front mounts done, but the engine mounts will be bolted to the chassis with some thick rubber washers to take out some of the shake smile.png

WN152_zpsba35ce4b.jpg

• Like 2

SousaKerry

One could make a jig out of an old axle hub and a Dremel or die grionder with a grinding stone.  With the die grinder mounted to a bar and a pivot point mounted to the old axle center you could grind a circle in the rim and eventually after several passes break through. 

The other way is to mount a lathe parting tool to a slow spinning drill press or motor.  I have also seen people use hole saws with a custom pilot as well.

• Like 1

Stigian

I have to say it's so nice having a good MIG welder again, as much as I've liked using an Arc welder for many a year, it just can't produce the heat and strength I need for this project...

More mounts almost made up..  

WN157_zps1122e778.jpg

And tweaked a bit to give a bit more space around the starter motor..

WN159_zpsd575ae8c.jpg

They bolt here..

WN160_zps418876c6.jpg

The only trouble with recycling steel is it needs a good clean up first.. This was part of the filming trailer I built ages ago but never used!

WN161_zps1941832f.jpg

Cleaned up and welded on..

WN162_zps1d131204.jpg

More to come in a short while, I need some food!

• Like 1

km3h

Wow, Wow, Wow. What a great job. You are just moving along one step at a time and this is going to be one great project when it is finished. Can't wait to see the next step.

• Like 1

meadowfield

Looking the mutts already :D

• Like 1

Stigian

One could make a jig out of an old axle hub and a Dremel or die grionder with a grinding stone.  With the die grinder mounted to a bar and a pivot point mounted to the old axle center you could grind a circle in the rim and eventually after several passes break through. 

The other way is to mount a lathe parting tool to a slow spinning drill press or motor.  I have also seen people use hole saws with a custom pilot as well.

Funny you should say that Kerry, I have been thinking about a Wheel Horse powered wheel lathe :D

I might have the use of a big lathe in a couple of weeks for cutting the centers out, if not I will be doing something like this..  The axle stand is for illustration purposes only :D

WN143_zpsc7354206.jpg

Wow, Wow, Wow. What a great job. You are just moving along one step at a time and this is going to be one great project when it is finished. Can't wait to see the next step.

Thanks Nick, I'm guessing you like Project "Why Not" :thumbs:    The next step is on the way.

Looking the mutts already :D

Thanks Mark, it's nice to finally see this project moving in the right direction..

And on to today's fun and games, starting with the remains of the frame that the engine top mount was once attached to..  I only needed the threaded tube bit's..

WN163_zpse1ebca49.jpg

You can just about see it in this balancing act of bits of metal.. Its the bit with the masking tape on it that was being marked out for more trimming.

WN164_zpsb77d87f0.jpg

After a day of careful measuring, cutting, welding and getting really confused until I realized the radiator is mounted on the engine an inch more to the right than left (why did Honda want everything on the outside of this engine offset from the center?), I had come up with most of the engine mounting frame..

I still need to make some cross members for it, but I'm happy with how it's turning out :)

WN170_zpsbbc1aca8.jpg

WN168_zpsbec4ff4e.jpg

WN171_zpsac3d6622.jpg

As I'm only using one of the engine mounting places at the top of the engine, I will be making some mounts which will go forward from the threaded stud and join onto my engine frame.

WN173_zpsdb016511.jpg

So does the hood still fit?

That would be a Yes :D

WN166_zps7cb4d8da.jpg

WN165_zps3de89f69.jpg

WN167_zps20acc9e5.jpg

• Like 6

19richie66

Loving it Ian. Makes me wish I had a bigger motor going in mine.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

AWESOME!    :bow-blue:    :scared-eek:    :bow-blue: 

Looks like you've got another :wh: beast in the works there Ian. 

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

That's going to be a hotrod horse.

• Like 1

Stigian

Loving it Ian. Makes me wish I had a bigger motor going in mine.

Thanks Richie, there is something about a bigger motor that brings a grin to the face :D

AWESOME!    :bow-blue:    :scared-eek:   

Looks like you've got another :wh: beast in the works there Ian. 

Thanks Craig, she sure is going going to be a beast when she is done.. A rather fast beast too :D

That's going to be a hotrod horse.

She is indeed.. I've always wanted a Hot Rod, loud V8, wide steel wheels that sort of thing.. I don't drive these days so this is my chance to build a smaller version :)

Only a small update as I've been spending more time thinking about the best ways of doing things rather than just plowing on..

Yesterday I created these two bits of small modern art..

WN174_zpsfbbd5db9.jpg

So I could hold the filler plate in the end of the box for welding..

WN175_zps0f302ec3.jpg

Plates welded in and some cross members added..  The holes in the box will be filled in when I'm sure I don't need them..

WN177_zps21868194.jpg

And another cross member above the carbs..

WN176_zpse683a371.jpg

I can't do too much more on the engine frame until I've ordered some more steel, as I'm making the rear chassis out the same box I'd better order quite a lot of it :)

Pullstart

he's got skills.... and he knows how to use them...

sounds like the beginnings of a ZZ Top song!

• Like 2

Stigian

he's got skills.... and he knows how to use them...

sounds like the beginnings of a ZZ Top song!

:D Thanks Pullstart  :thumbs:

Yet more work on the engine frame thingy, top mounts this time..

I did tack a couple of the top mounts on complete with bit of the bike frame attached.. I didn't like the look of it so the mounts came back off, lost their bit's of bike frame and were welded back on.. They will have some more strength added.

WN178_zps223cebf7.jpg

A bit of thick wall tube..

WN179_zps2c6193ea.jpg

With a bung/spacer thingy welded in each end.

WN180_zps968347bd.jpg

It fit's here on top of the engine..

WN181_zpsb7b48fda.jpg

To make space to get a long bolt through I had to notch and weld a bit of tube into the frame each side.

WN182_zpsb7f05215.jpg

Part welded on to the frame.. The welds do look much better from the underside smile.png

WN187_zps9aab96ae.jpg

And a couple of rare shots of the engine frame without the engine biggrin.png

WN185_zpsa94ab1b3.jpg

WN184_zpsc5b8648d.jpg

• Like 1

Stigian

With no more steel to hand to make any more of the frame (an order was put in today), I turned my thought to narrowing the rear axle.. Time to get serious and work out how narrow it needs to go.

So the chassis was welded to some bit's of box at the right height... This is the rear..   Did I mention I like MIG welding? biggrin.png

WN189_zps42c8e1c2.jpg

And once I was sure the chassis was central on the bench (I had drawn a big rectangle around the bench with a line right through the center), the bit's of box were firmly screwed down.. The chassis isn't going anywhere now biggrin.png

WN188_zps607ca9d6.jpg

So out came the wheels, bit's of bodywork and the odd bit of wood for some mocking up..   Moving the rear wheel in and out, backward and forwards until I hit the "Grin spot".!

The "Grin spot" is when you know you have got it just right and a big grin breaks out on ones face quite often followed by some silly giggling laugh.pngbiggrin.png

WN192_zpsbdbedc58.jpg

WN191_zpsa3c8d54e.jpg

Once I'd had a coffee and calmed down a bit, out came the tripe measure followed by some scribbling and head scratching..

The standard width Reliant  axle is 1288mm hub to hub..

I need one that's 780mm in width..

So I need to narrow it by 508mm or 254mm each side, or the bit between the masking tape need to be cut out!!

WN194_zpsa1e4f373.jpg

I won't be doing any cutting here though, Nigel has a powersaw thingy that's far more accurate than anything I have here..   So see you soon for some metal sawing Nigel thumbup.gif

Oh, for me one of the best views of Why Not is from the front.. The trouble is there is not enough space to get a camera in to take the shot....

So I tried the Panarama setting on my phones camera... Not quite the result I was after laugh.png

WN196_zpsd3d242d4.jpg

Stigian

I forgot to add the latest Project "Why Not" video.. So here it is guy's

Stigian

Have a photo of a rather narrow Reliant axle housing smile.png

WN206_zps11b3ee63.jpg

And here's how I narrowed it.. :)

Edited by Stigian
  • Like 1