Stigian

Project "Why Not"

jay in nc

What about a reverse gear ? Gold wings have an electric reverse

Stigian

Unreal engineering skills Stigian. I'm enjoying this build. Can't wait for the video of you driving it.

Thanks Bob, the video might be a while away yet, I've not started the build yet only piled bits together on the bench!

That final stance looks fast already!

It's not quite at it's final stance, but not far off :)

I see a wheelie bar in your future.   :grin:

Funny that... So can I :D

Wow wow wow

James

Well said James :D

:popcorn:

This is gonna be sweet...  Too bad you had to loose the WH Tranny though I can understand.

Thanks Kerry, yeah it is a shame about the Wh trans but sometimes plans don't always work out!

Stigian

What about a reverse gear ? Gold wings have an electric reverse

Reverse would be nice to have.. Toying with the idea of an electric reverse using the motor from a mobility scooter..   If it can be made to work remains to be seen!

So with the drive train plan now changed a bit I needed the swing arm and mountings from the Honda's frame..

So I chopped this large lump of metal from the frame which also has the engine mounts making life a little easier er.. Mounting the engine :D

WN51_zpsf1843f73.jpg

WN50_zpsa7487c1a.jpg

While I was in the shed lookiing for a cardboard box I found a pair of "deep dish" late C series front wheels.. These should widen the front wheel base a bit :D

WN52_zpsabe5834a.jpg

Some more mocking-up, but this time a bit more serious so I could start taking lot's of measurements.. The front of the chassis is 4 inches off the deck, the rear 4 1/2 which gives it a nice little bit of stance.

WN54_zps7769fa43.jpg

Throw it in a pile and work it out from there :D

WN55_zps73d165d3.jpg

I also had a flash of inspiration about the steering.. With a new mounting plate made this right angled drive box thingy that was going to be used as part of the drive train, can be bolted to the chassis and run the steering shaft under the engine.. The UJ's will come in handy for connecting it to the steering coloum :D

WN56_zps6a3268f3.jpg

And then just as I thought the plan was coming along quite well I hit rather a large problem.... I just could not find a kart axle or the like that was A - Strong enough.. B - Within my price range... And C - Not hollow!

I even started looking into using a car IRS setup, at least the axles could be narrowed to get the with I wanted!!

And then while looking through Fleabay I found the answer... A shaft drive Qwackasaki quad rear end :D

It solves a lot of problems in one hit as it comes with brakes built in and as an added bonus it also has a diff lock :D

So currently somewhere between Scotland and Hawkhurst, Kent is a truck with a large parcel containing the back half of a quad including prop shaft :D

Once the parcel arrives I can really get into this build rather than just piling bits together on the bench and grinning at the beast I will be creating :D

To give you a few more photo's to look at I went in search of metal to use as chassis extensions etc..

Buried in nettles and only on one wheel was the filming trailer I built quite a while ago!

WN58_zps30c5157c.jpg

As it has never been used since it was built, I decided it's time was up... And I needed the steel :D  I might have a use for the wheel hubs as well.

WN59_zps50318c6c.jpg

Now available in kit form :D

WN60_zps358bb268.jpg

• Like 5

Stigian

Evening all, a bit of an update for you though I'm a bit limited on what I can do at the mo due to no welding rods.. Fingers crossed they will turn up tomorrow.. I should be getting on with my 6x6 but can't, so had a play with "Why Not" today instead :D

Starting with a strip down to the bare bones..

WN61_zps208ff045.jpg

The hood and a spare front axle went on so I could take some measurements..

WN62_zpsd054b430.jpg

The chassis all marked out ready for slicing.

WN63_zps406d7641.jpg

All the above actually happened yesterday, the measuring and marking out took quite a while, as I only have the one chassis and didn't want to mes it up!

So today the grinder came out, off came the front..

WN64_zpsc4546b9a.jpg

And a bit came off the back..

WN65_zpsfa3093f0.jpg

I'm sure you can guess what's coming next.. Yep the front was fitted to the back :D

WN66_zps6a31b266.jpg

Due to a lack of welding rods still I had to dig out my Mig welder which is ok on sheet metal, but not much good at thicker stuff as you can tell by the blobs of weld!

WN67_zps3f84a3aa.jpg

Not convinced that the blob of Mig weld would hold any kind of weight I had a dig about on the shack floor and the bench and found a few little bit's of welding rod like this one!

WN69_zpse3b68535.jpg

More blobs of weld, only this time much stronger.. It will be fully welded up when I can.

WN68_zps19425b0f.jpg

The front hitch/axle mount was next for the chop..

WN70_zps9bc54207.jpg

• Like 2

Stigian

The front end bolted back together. The trimmed down steering rod thingy will gain a bearing and sprocket so I can move the steering down and run it under the engine WH style.

WN71_zps9970e11b.jpg

A "Batman" camera angle of the front.

WN72_zps8b940dc4.jpg

As the chassis is upside down so is the front hitch/axle mount.

WN73_zps862a9762.jpg

I was going to leave these off, but some extra strength by welding them back on the right way up would be a good thing.. It will also be handy for hanging a weight box on the front as I have a feeling the front wheels may want to lift a little under hard acceleration :D

WN74_zps7551360f.jpg

Hood and engine plonked back on to have a look.. Not sure I like the axle so far forward!

WN75_zps30301380.jpg

Looks like I might have to chop the base of the hood about so it will clear the steering!

WN76_zps2ae78b51.jpg

Rear wheels roughly in place.. It's looking a bit empty back there!

WN78_zpsa3613906.jpg

So I thought I would plonk the bit of the bike frame with the engine mounts on to see how it looked... Er, it's looks like half a bike frame!

WN79_zpsf6517b51.jpg

The next thought was to just use the mounts and replace the bit of frame with some strong box section. The trouble was the only place both top and bottom mount are flush is here! If I welded some box in I wouldn't be able to get the starter motor out without taking the engine out!

WN80_zpsc2352cdb.jpg

And then while relaxing with the last coffee and smoke of the day in the shack I had an idea!!

If I chop this mount off about where the scratched on line is, let it drop down by 90 degrees and turn it around it will end up very close to the chassis and tucked under the engine. The top mount mount can be tied into the frame that will hold the body on.

WN83_zps1e94e2ef.jpg

Oh, and I got the front of the hood sitting much closer to the axle.. Only a little chopping will be needed and it looks much better :D

WN82_zps1ea463fe.jpg

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:   Talk about sliced and diced...   :violence-blades: 

looks like project "Why Not"  just barely survived the latest episode of "Will it Chop?"     :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Digger 66

Put a tiller on it & I'll bring the popcorn :auto-ambulance:

• Like 1

19richie66

You might just get the hard hat award without even having to go to the show.

• Like 2

Stigian

:scared-eek:   Talk about sliced and diced...   :violence-blades: 

looks like project "Why Not"  just barely survived the latest episode of "Will it Chop?"     :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Hi Craig, yeah the chassis is a little chopped up.. It will be upside down and back to front with the front welded to the back :D

Put a tiller on it & I'll bring the popcorn :auto-ambulance:

I couldn't put a tiller on it... The front wheels would stand no chance of staying on the ground :D

You might just get the hard hat award without even having to go to the show.

You may be closer than you think with that Richie, I've not driven it yet but it has already broken a bone!!

Anyway, your partly to blame for this..  Your 1056 rat project inspired me to try the chassis upside down.. And once I saw how much space under the hood it created I knew of just the engine to fit :D

No progress with this yet guy's, but I hope to have a bit of an update for you tomorrow when a large part of this project gets delivered and if I'm very lucky a missing pack of welding rods also!

j main

This is Bad to the Bone what a cool idea cant weit to see more

Take care and good job

Jeff

• Like 1

19richie66

You may be closer than you think with that Richie, I've not driven it yet but it has already broken a bone!!

Anyway, your partly to blame for this..  Your 1056 rat project inspired me to try the chassis upside down.. And once I saw how much space under the hood it created I knew of just the engine to fit :)

Glad I could contribute to your madness in some small way.

Stigian

This is Bad to the Bone what a cool idea cant weit to see more

Take care and good job

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'm hoping it won't be "bad for the bones" when I finally get to drive it :D

Glad I could contribute to your madness in some small way.

Thanks Richie.. all contributions to the madness are much appreciated :D

Ah yes, the Volvo engined turbo terror, that could be an interesting grudge match.. He has more power but I have a lot less weight :)

Sorry the planned update is a bit later than advertised, I've been playing the waiting game, but finally late Monday afternoon I had a large er.. parcel delivered, and a smaller one with some much needed welding rods :)

The GT's 3 point with some extensions fixed on was ideal for moving a large lump of metal to the shack :D

WN84_zps4e447940.jpg

Even though it was late in the day I had to throw the quad axle (from a Qwakasaki KLF300B) on the bench to have a look at it in roughly the right position..  Hhhmmm, wide springs to mind!

WN85_zps499c24e2.jpg

A closer look at the quad axle, it came with the quad mounting arms which I won't be needing..

WN87_zps1a2ba505.jpg

But it also came with a diff lock that operates the small lever on the top of the diff.. A diff lock will be handy :D

WN88_zps434a5eb0.jpg

One thing I didn't realize until after I had paid for the axle was if I used it the right way up then I would have no forward and 5 reverse gears!!  Not a problem I thought, just flip the axle over and the drive will be going in the right direction..

What I didn't know until Mark (Meadowfield) mentioned it (this was before the axle was delivered), was quad axles have lot's of oil breather pipes that would all need to be moved!   Here's one of them behind the brake drum..

WN89_zps7659e9d9.jpg

Not a problem I thought, just unbolt all 6 bolt's holding the axle case to the diff and turn the axle case around by 180 degrees..

WN90_zps1c9b95b5.jpg

By this point on Monday evening I was feeling quite tired, so I reversed the wheels to see if it looked a bit narrower, and called it a day.

WN91_zps637627cc.jpg

Jparkes43

I'm loving it so much I can't wait to see this finished and to spark other projects in the shack

James

Stigian

Even though I should be getting on with welding my 6x6 back together for a show early next month, I just had to spend a day playing with "Why Not" and working things out a bit more, like how to get 5 bolt Wheel Horse wheels onto this 4 bolt hub!

The two options are make an adapter ring thingy that will convert 4 bolt to a 5 bolt pattern or make the Wh wheels a 4 bolt pattern.. Not sure which way to go yet!

WN93_zps6ddc0a9b.jpg

After what felt like ages battling with bolts that had rusted solid into bushes all the old quad suspension arms came off!

WN95_zps10aaec2c.jpg

Time to flip the axle over, so the 6 bolt's holding the narrower side came out..

WN96_zpsc957af7f.jpg

But only 3 of the 6 bolt holes lined up!!  Why Qwakasaki couldn't space the 6 holes evenly apart I just don't know!

WN97_zps2a3a4f04.jpg

Plan B it is then.. Off came the brake drum, the first one I've ever seen with an oil/dirt seal on the outside diameter!

WN99_zps1e93f8f4.jpg

A bit dusty inside but not too bad.. But the good news is the 4 bolts that hold the brake assembly are evenly spaced apart :D

WN98_zpsbbd8274c.jpg

Which meant I could rotate the brakes each side by 180 degrees to get the breather pipes up top and then flip the whole axle over which not only get's the drive the right way around but also help the prop shaft line up with the bike engines gearbox much better.

WN100_zps6374b6f2.jpg

The diff drain plug can easily have a hold drilled through the center to fit a breather pipe to :D

WN101_zps32c8420a.jpg

So there you go, all up to date :)

I should be cracking on with getting the 6x6 done today, but instead if plans come together I will be buying a rather handy tool that will change the ways I do my builds by opening up a whole new ways of doing things... But more on that later :D

• Like 2

Kennedy

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not familiar with quad axles but on automotive axles if you flip the differential over you run the risk of starving the pinon bearings of oil. And with the speeds this thing may be capable of that could be a problem. The diff-lock seems a necessity how else are you going to leave twin rubber marks on the street out front? :)

Mark

Don1977

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not familiar with quad axles but on automotive axles if you flip the differential over you run the risk of starving the pinon bearings of oil. And with the speeds this thing may be capable of that could be a problem. The diff-lock seems a necessity how else are you going to leave twin rubber marks on the street out front? :)

Mark

It looks to me like the rear is centered not offset to the bottom like a car. It must have straight beveled gears .

Stigian

Mark

It looks to me like the rear is centered not offset to the bottom like a car. It must have straight beveled gears .

Hi Mark, I'm not familiar with quad axles as well, this is my first :D, Don is right, the diff is centered in the axle which means it shouldn't be starved or oil with the axle flipped over..  The diff lock bit will now be sitting in oil rather than getting "splashed", but I can't see that causing a problem..

Should the quad axle not work out or even self destruct I do have a plan B..  Use a rear axle from a Reliant Robin which would need narrowing.. But at least the propshaft splines match up with the splines on the Honda gearbox :)

Anyway, no more progress but have the latest video about "Why Not" instead :)

Edited by Stigian

19richie66

Ian, I need all your personal information. I am taking out an additional life insurance policy on you. This thing will be crazy.

• Like 1

JC 1965

It's crazy indeed but I love it.    :eusa-whistle: I can't wait to see more. Thanks for sharing Ian.    :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

Stigian

Ian, I need all your personal information. I am taking out an additional life insurance policy on you. This thing will be crazy.

Thanks Richie, I think it may be needed :D

It's crazy indeed but I love it.    :eusa-whistle: I can't wait to see more. Thanks for sharing Ian.    :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks Jerry, it's about to get even crazier :D    But not for a while yet as I'm too busy getting my 6x6 ready for a working weekend in 9 days time!

There has been yet another change of plan for the rear end.. I decided in the end that there was far too much play in the quad diff for my liking and was worried about blowing it apart..

If I could of welded up the diff I would of done, but being a quad axle the only way to weld it up (it has to be done in situ) was through this small hole!  I could get a welding rod in there but then I would be left with a diff full of welding slag and no real way of getting it out!

WN105_zps9dfb9a25.jpg

So I did a little internet shopping...

I really need to make a set of pallet forks :D

WN108_zps7bc099ed.jpg

The new axle arrives..

WN109_zpsd21a5024.jpg

Unwrapped and on the bench.. The oil on the left side is where the delivery company thought it would be just fine to transport it standing on one end!!

WN110_zpsc1d4149e.jpg

So what is the axle from?    A Reliant Rialto 2 that's what.. If your English you will have a good idea what a Rialto looks like..

For all you fine American chaps, it's one of these :D     3 wheels, a plastic body and a throbbing 875cc 4 cylinder engine :D

RobinRialto1986estatefront_zpsed819c56.j

The reason for getting the Reliant axle is despite the looks they are quite strong.. And very easy to narrow which is handy :D

WN111_zps6578ce4a.jpg

The fun part is going to be getting a pair of these wheels..

WN113_zps0fd9f0e3.jpg

To fit the Reliant's 4 x 4" pcd!

WN112_zpsc35d5cb8.jpg

The PCD's are too close to make a traditional wheel adapter, but it could be done by making two adapters that bolt to each other.. It would be nice to use the WH wheels, but I might end up having to use different wheels.. We shall see..

• Like 1

Jparkes43

that is too funny a reliant axle, well if it works you may aswell use it!! 

james

19richie66

Isnt 4x4" a golf cart wheel pattern? You can get them in 8",10",12" diameters everywhere.(at least over here). That axle looks beefy.

SousaKerry

You better put a roll cage around that Wheel Horse mate.  If Jeremy Clarkson from TopGear has taught us anything, it is that Reliants don't do anything well except roll over suddenly without warning. :auto-swerve::laughing-rollingyellow:

• Like 3