Stigian

Project "Why Not"

Stigian

Morning all, if you have been following my Project Zero-ish turn build then you will of read there has been a big change of plan for it... Well, here's the big change of plan :D

Here's a clue..

WN4_zps6e649807.jpg

Here's a bigger clue..

WN5_zps5b764825.jpg

This should be a big enough clue for you :D

WN3_zps2aa172b7.jpg

Yep that's right this Raider 10 is being reborn as a fun machine.

WN2_zps5897adb9.jpg

WN1_zpsfc6b3307.jpg

Powered by this water cooled, 48hp V twin and 5 speed box :D

WN6_zpsaecb707e.jpg

Yesterday was a long but good day as the Honda was slowly taken apart.

WN8_zps42a6843c.jpg

Until the engine came out..

WN9_zps5c60920a.jpg

"Walking" it up this plank to get it onto the bench was fun!

WN11_zpsaeff2ad1.jpg

A good looking engine..

WN10_zps1a9ab689.jpg

But... Will it fit in the Raider without having to chop bits of the hood out or stretch the chassis???

• Like 6

19richie66

Chopping and stretching is half the fun. This should be neat!

• Like 1

Pullstart

I've heard of thinking outside the box.... do you ever find yourself inside it at all?  amazing!

Stigian

No words needed, the photo's say it all :D

WN12_zps62761b9c.jpg

WN13_zpsd57e7c51.jpg

WN14_zps8cf993ca.jpg

WN15_zps6c4eb899.jpg

WN16_zps03505a0c.jpg

WN17_zps5bf5ef74.jpg

• Like 7

Pullstart

is there going to be a single or dual prop on that flyer?

Jparkes43

Wow that us going to be fast!, good luck

James

redrooster

Power to spare! What will the tractor be used for?

meadowfield

That's just going to be so awesome Ian :D

953 nut

:woohoo:   Do you plan to replace the Uni drive with an automotive rear end or use a gear reduction 90 degree box and belt drive? That would be a real test of :wh: engineering!  :text-coolphotos:   Love it!

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

kudzu3

As we say here in Georgia, "somedody's fixin' to get hurt" :laughing-rofl:

• Like 4

Stigian

Chopping and stretching is half the fun. This should be neat!

Thanks Richie, I didn't want to chop the hood or stretch the chassis as I want to keep it looking as standard as possible (well apart from the engine) with the bounds of safety of course :)

I've heard of thinking outside the box.... do you ever find yourself inside it at all?  amazing!

Inside the box??  I can't find it on any map I have :D

is there going to be a single or dual prop on that flyer?

No prop needed.. I've only fitted the Honda engine as a donkey engine to start the jet engine I'm going to strap under the seat :D

Wow that us going to be fast!, good luck

James

Thanks James, yes it is going to be a bit fast but all out speed isn't the name of the game.. Having fun, smoking a few tires and a bit of sideways drifting action is :D

Power to spare! What will the tractor be used for?

It will be used for fun mostly, but if driven sensibly it should be able to handle a bit of trailer pulling work. As you say it will have power to spare :D

That's just going to be so awesome Ian :D

Thanks Mark

Do you plan to replace the Uni drive with an automotive rear end or use a gear reduction 90 degree box and belt drive? That would be a real test of :wh: engineering!  :text-coolphotos:   Love it!

The plan is to use a 90 degree box and chain drive into a Uni drive rear end..  I have found (Thanks Chris) an 8 speed withh 1 1/8 inch axles and an 8 pinion diff to fit in place of the 4 speed.. It should be strong enough to handle the power..

As we say here in Georgia, "somedody's fixin' to get hurt" :laughing-rofl:

Not if I can help it     I think the fear of doing serious damage to myself will stop me from driving it too stupidly

As you would expect from me there will be plenty of videos along the way, infact here's the first one popping up now :D

• Like 4

Jparkes43

I'm keeping my eye firmly in this direction it's going to be insane, just need my dad to get me one of those for Juliette ;-)

James

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 1

Brrly1

Can't wait, a water cooled Wheel Horse! Your creativity is top notch. Sure looks like a fun project. Keeping my eyes on this one. Good luck

• Like 1

Coadster32

Wowwie wow wow!! :bow-blue:

Pullstart

I'd like to see the tracks from the 3rd gear burnout with the mower running.

546cowboy

Excuse me if I'm wrong but weren't you just starting a zero turn project a short while ago? Did I miss that one somewhere? This is going to be something but I have seen other videos of these with even more horsepower in them. A few years ago there was a video on Youtube of a guy on his small block Chevy with a mowing deck actually mowing. It was a Wheel Horse too. :eek:

Stigian

I'm keeping my eye firmly in this direction it's going to be insane, just need my dad to get me one of those for Juliette ;-)

James

Thanks James, it's about to get a lot more insane :D

Can't wait, a water cooled Wheel Horse! Your creativity is top notch. Sure looks like a fun project. Keeping my eyes on this one. Good luck

Thanks John, it's certainly going to be a different build.

Wowwie wow wow!! :bow-blue:

Couldn't of said it better myself :D

I'd like to see the tracks from the 3rd gear burnout with the mower running.

Burnouts you will see, but no mowing as the cutting deck won't be able to fit.

Excuse me if I'm wrong but weren't you just starting a zero turn project a short while ago? Did I miss that one somewhere? This is going to be something but I have seen other videos of these with even more horsepower in them. A few years ago there was a video on Youtube of a guy on his small block Chevy with a mowing deck actually mowing. It was a Wheel Horse too. :eek:

Your not wrong, this build used to be Project Zero-ish turn until I had a serious change of plan.. I have a Wh for grass cutting and the new engine/bike popped up just at the right time so I thought I'd do a fun build instead :)

As much as I'd love a V8 Wheel Horse (Can't beat the sound of a V8 :D ) it's a little too much power for my needs, the Honda engine has enough power to have fun and that's what this build is about :D

• Like 2

Stigian

As if proof was need that I'm doing the right thing with this build, while sitting down with a coffee having a look at the beast from a different angle I noticed a couple of words on one of the front tire's.

WN18_zps1a5cde3e.jpg

A close up for you biggrin.png

WN20_zps5e0b3d2e.jpg

After watching the mower racing on Sunday and seeing how low all the machine were I knew I had to lower "Why Not" a bit to help it stay on all four wheels.

As I want to be able to use this machine for also pulling a trailer once in a while and go for the odd drive around the fields, I don't want to go too low, so out came the ruler..

The chassis will be chopped and dropped by 2 1/2 inches, making the chassis 4 1/2 inches off the ground, where the blue mark is on the ruler.

WN21_zps32cfe4c0.jpg

The front will also get chopped and dropped just behind the front axle mounting.

WN23_zps89a0cdde.jpg

The body tub will also be chopped and dropped but only by 2 inches. The extra 1/2 inch space created should just be enough to fit a standard Raider fuel tank in it's original place under the hood smile.png

The back of the body tub will also get a bit more trimming to get the seat as low as possible..

WN24_zps1429b1b8.jpg

This big old lump is the Honda's final drive unit..

WN25_zps2e232f2c.jpg

Which I had been thinking of using backwards to get the drive from the bike gearbox to the WH gearbox...

WN26_zps4622d266.jpg

Until another part arrived, freshly dug out from Nigel's parts store (thanks Nigel), and thank you to Garry for picking it up for me..

The part in question is this right angled drive thingy from a rotovator

WN27_zps9f092a30.jpg

I wasn't sure what the gear ratio was as it needed a bit of freeing off, but I'm guessing at a 1 to 1 ratio or very close..

The prop shaft will come in very handy as it allows me to mount the drive thingy where I want and get the output drive lined up with the WH trans biggrin.png

WN28_zps72fb4c23.jpg

• Like 4

Stigian

The angled drive thingy from Nigel (thanks mate) was cracked open to see what needed freeing up...   Dry as a bone inside other than a quick squirt of WD40!

WN29_zps72788a77.jpg

So I filled it up with stuff that smelt like diesel, though it was a funny colour!  An hour later it had freed up biggrin.png

WN30_zpsd31e9d55.jpg

This is where I had a length problem!

The angled drive is near as as I could wedge it in it's new position, and the prop shaft that slides onto the bike gearbox splines is full on!!   Not enough space to cut and shut the shafts together!

WN32_zps3bee1083.jpg

There is enough space to move the engine forward and tuck in the front of the hood, but.... The front axle would be in the way!!  I don't want to lengthen the hood, but maybe I could move the front axle to in front of the hood to make the space!..

WN33_zps93beaafe.jpg

I'm feeling a bit unsteady today, so rather then start using tools that produce hot sparks I'd have a gentle potter in the shack and move a few bit's about on "Why Not" to create a bit more drive shaft space..

The front axle moved forward of the hood and the engine slid forward as much as it could.

WN37_zps4444de50.jpg

WN38_zps3c08fb23.jpg

The engine will go even more forward once the front axle mount is out the way..

WN39_zps238a4247.jpg

But it gave enough space to show the two prop shafts could be lined up and made into one..

WN40_zpsd0d70402.jpg

While I had the Honda's final drive to hand I stuck it on the end of the drive shaft to have a look... It almost lines up with the Wh trans pulley smile.png

But due to the final drives gearing it would give a very slow top speed... Oh, and a lot more reverse gears than forward biggrin.png

WN43_zpsfb05971c.jpg

• Like 2

Stigian

And then Mark who has been kind enough and also has the maths brain power that I'm lacking came back with a few calculations for me!   It's the final number that hit home!!

That sort of top speed from a 48hp V twin would just be embarrassing, and could be got from a 10hp Kohler with a lot less work!!

WN49_zpsb9bf3ed7.jpg

Looking at the final drive on the end of that shaft did get me thinking though.. If the final drive was bit further back to line up with the Wh trans axles then maybe it could be used to drive a cart axle!!

Yes it's the same photo again smile.png

WN43_zpsfb05971c.jpg

So, off to the shed I trundled and grabbed the Honda's rear wheel to unbolt this bit..  It shouldn't be too hard to get a sprocket to fit that biggrin.png

WN44_zps5b925432.jpg

And that bit happens to slide onto the final drive biggrin.png

WN45_zpsa626ed7d.jpg

Sooo, the new plan is to use the Honda's swing arm and final drive then take power back from there via chain and sprocket to a rather strong kart axle.. I can even use the Honda's rear brake which is more than up to the job and very easy to fit biggrin.png

The new plan kinda moves this build up a few levels as it could be very easily geared to reach the bikes level of top speed or even more should the suicidal urge take me!!

I'm happy to gear it for a bit less top speed but certainly more than 14.20422 MPH biggrin.png

Oh, and while the front axle was off I lowered the front end quite a bit to see how it looked biggrin.png

WN48_zps7ef7f8c8.jpg

• Like 4

Racinbob

Unreal engineering skills Stigian. I'm enjoying this build. Can't wait for the video of you driving it.

Pullstart

That final stance looks fast already!

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I see a wheelie bar in your future.  :-D

Jparkes43

Wow wow wow

James

SousaKerry

:popcorn:

This is gonna be sweet...  Too bad you had to loose the WH Tranny though I can understand.

• Like 1