64s

Any Cat 5 Experts Out There?

64s

I know a guy who wants me to pull some cat 5 wire from his server to a point at least 100 feet away which he wants to turn into a computer room and would need three 'stations'.  I know enough not to split it into 3 at the end but was wondering the best way to do it.

Should I run one line and attach a hub at the end to split it off

or

Put the hub at the beginning and run three separate lines (which makes more sense to me)

or

I'm open to any expert opinion

Thanks!!!

DOC in Kentucky

I have one 100ft. line from the router to a 5port-hub in my downstairs office with  3PC's in my downstairs office and 2 lines (50 ft) going to my wife's office upstairs for her PC and the printer. Its a pain to print and run upstairs to get the copy but she prints a lot more then I do. Works great!!!

• Like 1

SousaKerry

For home use 1 100 ft cable to a 4 port hub or router should be fine.  Unless you are moving incredible amounts of data the connection between computers will be plenty fast enough.  Your internet connection probly is the bottle neck anyways. 

meadowfield

One run and a 4 port switch...

nylyon

While you are saying HUB (and that is an accurate term) you really mean switch.  You want to run ONE line from the server to the computer room.  At the server side, it's likely going to hook into a router.  On the computer room side, there will be a switch.  For the wiring, you want to use Cat 5e or Cat 6.  5e will help reduce transmission errors and cat 6 is GigE certified (but 5e will run gig too). 

For the switches.  All components should be GigE, but you don't need to worry about that if you're just running the wire.

Moving to computer area.

64s

Thanks Guys!!!!!!

stevasaurus

there is 5 pair in a cat 5...run 3 of the 5 lines from the server and split them from the 1 drop in the room. Blue/white for 1...Orange/white for 2...and green/white for 3.  })