jay1

PTO Interlock Switch bad

jay1

Re 1976 B80 PTO Interlock

Have the B80 since 1976//great tractor almost never a problem.  First time  that the interlock PTO switch broke.  Had trouble finding the probem was this, but after unplugging the wire harness from the switch and playing with a jump wire into the harness female plug, I found out how to bypass the switch.  I assume I did it right (hopfully) since it now works with the jumper wire in place.

Questions--

1.  How comment is it to keep a jumper wire as a permanent fix and bypass the PTO switch.   Do you guys do that?

2.  How costly is a new PTO clutch lever interlock switch??   Was not able to locate the part number or vendor who sells this.  Is it still available?

3. Is the old switch fixable---Does one try the fix the old switch (1976).

Thank you

illinilefttackle

Jay- the same thing happened to me on my C-125- I thought the switch was bad- but after I sprayed its terminals down with electrical contact cleaner-it worked-spray the terminals on plug in too-Good luck-Al

jay1

LeftTackle

That would be shockingly easy as a fix if it works----and off I am to Radio Shack at 10 AM to a can of this fix all that worked for you.   The ball in the switch does go in, so the problem is something internally that I cannot see.  If that does not fix it after a bath in electrical contract cleanser--I am going to look closely how easy it is to remove the switch and decide whether to just leave the jumper wire in place as a permanent solution (knowing there is a safety issue compromised with that solution) OR try further to determine where to get a new PTO Interlock Switch.   But what I am not going to do and put $60 (plus) into a switch if that is the cost of a new one.

AMC RULES

Try an Ebay search for "Wheelhorse safety switch"

meadowfield

Weve had a few fail, usually the rust away here in the uk... They tend to fall in two when you try unplug the connector :(