Sign in to follow this  
saguaro

saguaro's 1965 Lawn Ranger

saguaro

sorry it took so long. I haven't even had a chance to unload it. I'm putting 3/4 ton springs under my 1/2 ton :banghead:

This is my first horse so let me know what you see that doesn't belong. wh100_0305.jpg

wh100_0305.jpgwh100_0305.jpg

saguaro

goofed

wh100_0303.jpg

saguaro

Shes had a hard life :banghead:

100_0304.jpg

Kelly

Things that don't belong:

Engine, and plate that is welded to the frame, but that, you probably knew, the seat and seat spring, steering wheel, and it's missing some stuff, belt guard, T/C cables, you said it's a L-155 then it's missing the batt. tray, and I'm sure some other stuff.

oldandred

If you need a good picture of a 65 lawn ranger drop me email at

101jcollins@comcast.net

suburbancowboy

That looks like a gear reduction Tecumseh.

suburbancowboy

Gear reduction Briggs?

saguaro

Yes. I was told it came off a cemint mixer.

rustbucket

it never ceases to amaze me what people will use to repower things just to have a working machine.

BairleaFarm

Looks like youve got alot of work in front of you. Good thing it doesnt look like a lost cause.

saguaro

Yes I do. I think the reason I chose a horse is because they have character and are very basic machines. :banghead:

Drydock

I'm not sure I'd change anything. Its a monument to the creativity of man, and the infinite flexibility inherent in the Wheel Horse design. I can see it at a show, old boys gathered around it in awed speculation.

And in low gear it ought to climb trees . . .

saguaro

Got started on cutting off the funkyness. I got lucky that he was'nt a good welder, cut off the wheelybars and engine.

100_0310-1.jpg

saguaro

How many have run into this? I wonder how many engines it had.100_0309.jpg

BairleaFarm

How many have run into this? I wonder how many engines it had.

Goes to show you how long these tractors last.

saguaro

I got the briggs running, soungs good and no smoke but the fuel pump is'nt working I'll fix it, sell it and get tecumseh fot it. I pulled a rear wheel off and the

hub came off with it. The seal is leaking, but both wheel bearins feel good.

I did find that the bearing on the break wheel is worn and will have to be replaced.

The hood has a number of stress cracks that need fixing.

A pic of some of the goofyniss that came off.

100_0308.jpg

saguaro

Finished grinding down all the welds from the stuff that had to be cut off.

Got out the hammer and dolly and worked out some dents in hood and box frame for the seat. This is before. Dont have any after shots.

Today, did some paint striping. The foot rest were a real PTA getting all the house paint out of :banghead:

100_0313.jpg

100_0319.jpg

saguaro

To whoever put my post together Thank you. It'll be nice to have before and after

in one. :banghead:

All I have left to strip are the gearbox, rear wheels and sheet metal . The front wheels are worn out. The front spindles are worn but I think they'll be ok.

Hope to be painting everything except sheet metal this weekend. :banana:

saguaro

Got lucky and got hold of a HH60 electric with new internals, rebuilt carb, good starter and nice gas tank something else I didn't have. :banghead: If I'm reading the numbers right it a 67-68 engine.

I had all holes cut in the frame for other engine's filled. Looks much better, was able to figure out witch were factory holes. Just look for a ring depression around the hole. I'm guessing it's from the drill press.

saguaro

Got lucky and got hold of a HH60 electric with new internals, rebuilt carb, good starter and nice gas tank something else I didn't have. :banghead: If I'm reading the numbers right it a 67-68 engine.

I had all holes cut in the frame for other engine's filled. Looks much better, was able to figure out witch were factory holes. Just look for a ring depression around the hole on the underside of the frame, all the holes in the horizontal part of the frame have them. I'm guessing it's from the drill press. That may vary from one machine to the next.

Sorry, just wanted to make clear what I was saying about factory holes on the frame.

saguaro

Got the trans and frame painted. Don't worry your eyes are fine :banghead:

I decided to put my own temporary mark on this one. I used Rust-oleum Universal advanced formula in hammered brown. I like this paint, covers very evenly, has a low tendency to run but when it does it blends very well and does not show, all in all a very forgiving paint.

I plan to use the same brand paint on the sheet metal in cherry red.

I was not going for a MF look but think it will look good just the same.

100_0326.jpg100_0327.jpg

saguaro

Got to start putting her together and I like it. :thumbs:

100_0328.jpg

I cant believe hove tight this sheet metel is, it had to be done just so or the holes would'nt line up at all. I love the shine of this paint. :lol:

100_0331.jpg

I did the wheels in butter cream. The front wheels are shot, so not paint them.The paint. I primered the external serfaces let it dry for two hours,shot the inside with red, fliped it over and hit the primer no sanding. Let the paint set for an hour and gave anouther coat. BTW the primer was Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer. Worked out very well.

My outdoor work area :banghead: .

100_0329.jpg

Still have alot to do. Still need a hood, fender,battery tray a seat :omg: Oh and a engine mount :USA: other little things.

100_0330.jpg

BairleaFarm

looks great - what size are those rear tires? the look wide

saguaro

Carlials 18x9.5

HorseFixer

Matt er I mean Smiley :USA: Nice job! I like those rears! They Look :banghead: Keep up the good work!

Duke