Hodge71

Carb isssues..Ever see this?

Hodge71

Well I completely rebuilt the entire clutch assembly on the 18 Automatic and I got to mow this weekend with it. Has anyone ever seen a carb that constantly goes out of adjustment? This tractor will run great...minus burning a quart of oil every 20 hours of use..and then I need to run the choke half on for it to ru decent, both at WOT and idle. I turn the screws in and bottom them out. Reset them to factory specs and it runs fine for another 50 or so hours before it does it again. Its an easy fix now that I see what the scoop is but I never saw it happen before on any other tractor I own.

Edited by hodge71

motox25

Could be worn out tension springs on the adjustment screws not applying enough pressure to keep them in adjustment. Never heard of it happening though!

buckrancher

sounds like a piece of crap in the carb.

oldredrider

You may want to try some blue Loctite on the threads. A VERY SMALL amount.

WH nut

Factory specs??? what's that? what you are referring to is initial settings to get the motor started. Ever Card has to be set to the motor. After the motor is running and warmed up, you adjust the main jet to achieve the best and smoothest run at WOT, Idle is set the ame way.

There is no magic setting that works for every motor..

But it does sounf like crude in the fuel system or a weak pump if you have to run with choke

Hodge71

Its definitely not  a weak fuel pump. It has an electric pump that will pump the Hoover Dam if I want it to and its got 3 filters on it, the screen in the tank, the filter before the pump and the filter before the fuel bowl. all new fuel lines and the carb was rebuilt and is very clean. I'm tending to lean toward the springs. It would be the most logical explanation now that it was mentioned.

buckrancher

it's easy to tell if it's the springs you say you adjust to the factory setting each time has the number of turns changed when you have to readjust or have you not counted them to see if the needles are still in the same spot

you left them from the last time

Brian

Hodge71

No I haven't Brian as I just had the problem rear its ugly head again. It was last year when it last happened and I don't recall what I set them at. It requires a little more tweaking as its not running very smooth at WOT. I will adjust things and run them in and count and then back out and write it down til the next time it happens. It should be sooner as Im mowing about 5-6 acres...3 hours or more every week now with it. 

boovuc

The throttle shaft bushing may be shot or the throttle shaft hole may be wallowed out over the years of use. I had the same issues you wrote about on my KT 17 in my C-175. do a search on this site for Throttle shaft bushing repair. 

Wheel-N-It

sounds like a piece of crap in the carb.

I had the same problem once Jeff. Turned out to be a dirty carb.

Rock farmer

"Its definitely not a weak fuel pump. It has an electric pump that will pump the Hoover Dam if I want it to and its got 3 filters on it, the screen in the tank, the filter before the pump and the filter before the fuel bowl. all new fuel lines and the carb was rebuilt and is very clean. I'm tending to lean toward the springs. It would be the most logical explanation now that it was mentioned."

I can't see any good reason to run three filters and a sediment bowl?

Those do restrict flow. Electric fuel pump may not be able to suck and pump fuel through all that!

If your tank is clean, why not remove those two extra filters and watch the bowl for contaminates?

Joe