Sign in to follow this  
nsmith

Stacking Tractors

nsmith

I need storage room in the garage. Has any one built or thought of building a platform against a wall were you could park two tractors up top using ramps. It will be just tall enough to then push two in under them? Build using 4x4 post with 2x6 joist with a plywood deck?

Looking for some feed back on this idea. Thanks

Brrly1

Hello Well I guess you could call this my Horse shelf 12' long x 52" wide with 2 x 12 running down the middle, halfway back there is an electric winch that actually pulls the tractors up and onto the shelf. I have a rj 35-1957 with snowplow and a 58rj sitting on the top floor and a rj35-1956 with sickle bar and a another rj35 in front of that on the ground floor. I used 4 x 4 for posts x 6 and then 2 x 4 to hold it together. Too Many Horse's and Not enough ROOM Burly

DSC02648.jpg

:banghead::USA:

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

nsmith

John that is along the lines I was thinking, but have them side by side towards the back of the garage. That way I can still get my car inside in the winter. I even thought of using a boat winch to pull them up.

nsmith

Treed: Sorry I missed that thread. TT setup is just what I want to do. I will use plywood on top so I don't have a mishap and have one fall threw.

This forum is great!

bowtieguy

John, I just bought what I think is a 1959 RJ-59....it looks just like yours on top with fenders....but mine does not have fenders....was fenders an option?

Plus I thought you were a GT guy...bet you don't park them on the top shelf??

PS...mine has the "notched" bracket on the left side for the "lifting lever" so I think that makes it a 59???

Also wish I had spent more time talking about GT stuff with ya at the PA show....just didn't identify you at the show being the guy with all the GT's.....maybe later....

linen beige

Nsmith, Check out R&B Wheel Horse stables. They have half their collection on shelves.

Frank, If by "notched bracket" you mean the cresent shaped lift lever height quadrant, that was used in '60 and '61. If yours has the cast iron front axle, it's not an RJ but a Suburban. And fenders and the tool box they mount to were an option on the RJs, the 400 and 401.

HorseFixer

Yes this is exactly what I have in mind I built onto my garage a year ago and added my stable. I soon realized that it was not going to be big enough <_< So what I cooked up is adding a platform about 7 ft wide by 16 ft long In that area I will be able to store 12 Round hoods 6 above and 6 below since these are small tractors which is what my collection consists of. I also purchased a foot operated Hydraulic lift from a friend of mine and then had a 5' X 42" platform made of 1/4 steel formed and I will attach this to the top of the lift. I will install heavy duty casters, and fabricate adjustable outriggers to stabilize the load. I will then be able to move my tractors up and down as needed. This extension on the table will also come in handy for working on tractors when it is not being used for raising and lowering tractors! This table is rated at 1000 lbs should be no problem lifting a RH! :banghead:

I will be constructing my platform out of 3/16" angle Iron and will use plywood on top for the deck. Here is a picture of my lift table with a 56 RJ on it.

Cheers Duke :USA:

P.S. John fine looking roundhoods Pal! A Guy After Me Own Heart! :omg:

MyLiftTable001.jpg

MyLiftTable002.jpg

MyLiftTable003.jpg

MyLiftTable005.jpg

IMG]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk82/horsefixer/WH%20MISC/Lift%20Table/MyLiftTable007.jpg

MyLiftTable007.jpg

Brrly1

Duke Where did you find a lift like that!! I could use one of those! That would be SWEET!!! A little modification and away I go maybe three stories. My shelf would be pushed all of the way back but back in the corner is where I hide all of my goodies and there would be utter KAOS getting to that corner because of all of the stuff in the way if anybody ever got in. Its hard for me to break thru just imagine if anybody else would try. Have a Great Day Burly :banghead::USA:

DOC in Kentucky

Hey Burly,

How did you stabilize the legs on the bottom of your shelf? Similar to the top bracing? :USA: And how tall are the 4x4 posts? :banghead:

I am trying to figure out something like yours but want to use some 8" rubber casters I have had laying around for years so I can move it to clean around.

Brrly1

What's up Doc! I always wanted to do that. Yes, basically the same bracing as the top, 2 - 12' - 2" x 4" running down each side about 12" up and then a back cross brace at the same 12" level. The bottom of the top cross braces is at 52" tall. I think the height of the 4 x 4's tops out at about 60". It works for me. See ya Good Luck Burly :banghead::USA::omg: :banana: :banana: :banana:

wh500special

If you don't trust your engineering abilities to come up with wooden shelves to do the job don't forget about readily available pallet racking. Typical 8' shelves can support upwards of 5000 pounds. Not the cheapest stuff out there, but assembly time is negligible and it is super strong. Price is probably very competative with a properly built wood shelving unit made of Yellow Pine and plywood...but certainly not as cheap as something built from wood you bought 17 years ago when you built the carport on the house. :banghead: ..

if you don't know what I mean by "pallet racking" just google it for pictures and sources...

Steve

marvairplanes

OK...all you guys who want to stack your tractors.

I have the PERFECT solution, it comes "ready built", at a pretty good price, and the best part is that you get a bit of WHEEL HORSE history!

I have about 30, authentic, wheel horse steel ...I'm gonna' call them box frames...They were originally used to enclose new wheel horse tractors direct from the factory, and could be stacked 3-4-5 high. Little "cups" on the top corners to accept the feet of the next higher "box", and these guys are Heavy Duty!

They would set down right across the top of a tractor that would have been strapped to a pallet, and then ready for stacking inside a semi trailer, or on a dealers lot. Size is 6 ft X 42 " wide X 36 " tall.

Franz Nursery, near Napoleon, Ohio was a LARGE Wheel Horse dealer, (almost as big as Jones Wheel Horse in Waterville, near Toledo) and I got these frames from them when they went out of business many years ago. They were being used as "table legs" in their garden center...just drop a 4X8 sheet of plywood, or a section of snow fence, or what ever and you had a ready built table.

Thats what we used them for here at my Garden Center/Nursery...until a few years ago when we closed down.

So...about that price...I suspect not too many are still around...so I could be asking maybe $500 or more, gosh...maybe twice that much... but while they last...come and get one... $10 each or 2 for $15 or 3 for $20...want more???? I'll negotiate !

Marv (NW Oh)

DOC in Kentucky

Hey Marv,

Any pictures of these frames?