gabe911

Finally got a Wheel Horse, what do you guys think?

gabe911

Hi All,

Well I finally invested into a Wheel Horse.  I had been creeping on here for a couple of months now and been trying to learn as much as I can about these machines.  I had bought a little acreage and was looking for a garden tractor.  Didn't want to buy anything new b/c they're all crap nowadays.  I started doing a lot of research on Wheel Horses when I saw an ad on CL.  This is my 520-H that I had just bought.

It came with the 60" deck, single stage snow blower, chains, wheel weights, and only has 525 hours.  I had bought it for $2,100.  Think that was an alright deal?  I was just thinking I would have spent somewhere between 2k to 3k more on something new with a snow blower and it be not as reliable as these are.

I'm kind of concerned using the chains on my concrete driveway though.  Anyone consider trading for the plastic ones?  They're the v-bar ones know.

I just love the fact when the whole block is mowing their yards and they all have the same brand and the same green color tractors, they all stare at my wheel horse.  Love it!

p.s. Just ordered new blades, and not trying to figure out how to remove the deck just yet.  Is it possible

just to lift the front end on jack stands?  If so, where would be the safest place to place them on the horse?  Thanks! 

-Gabe

Lincoln, NE

post-13147-0-53048300-1402281433_thumb.j

• Like 5

leeave96

Nice looking machine!

Go to the manuals section and you can download a ton of info on your tractor.

Also go to the vendor section and have a look see at Matts foot control kit. It's a really nice addition and you won't need that knob on the steering wheel.

Welcome to the forum!

nylyon

Welcome to RedSquare.  I don't know anything about the 60" deck except I can't have one :(  If it's like the other decks though, you don't need to jack up anything.  Raise the deck, disconnect the attach-a-matic, lower and slide the deck out the side (removing the belt of course).  I only have 42" decks and can have it out in about 3 minutes. There have been members with the rubber chains and they worked well.  If you're concerned, that is the way to go.

Nice machine!

gabe911

Leeave96, thanks for the tips, will do.

Nylyon, as much as I read so far, I believe the 60" deck cannot be raised or lowered by hydraulic that is. Thanks for the reply though.

857 horse

if you decide,,,,,this tractor is not for you........

i will take off work....without notice......run most red lights.....skip lunch..........

casually walk up to you,,,,,give you the 2100.00 you spend........

load and speed off,,,no looking back.....

i think.............you did great........30 year +   investment

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I believe the 60" deck cannot be raised or lowered by hydraulic that is. .

Just curious .... The 48" deck on my 520H is lifted by the hydro.   Why can't the 60" be lifted ?

Oh...BTW... :WRS:  Gabe.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Gabe. Wellcome to Red Square. The neighbor stories had me laugh. Best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 1

bowtieguy

Gabe...GOOD DEAL for sure....add Terry's new decals to it and your neighbors will really "rubberneck ya"

On a 60" deck the back deck wheels remain on the ground...the hydro lift only lifts and lowers the FRONT of the deck.....I hope I never have to remove the deck because it is heavy and built like a tank....(clip a fence post with the edge of the deck , hang on, and find out)

PS...forgot to say "Welcome".....and watch out for shuboxlover near ya!

• Like 2

Tankman

Welcome to Horse-a-holics Anonymous!

Nice looking Stallion you have there. You'll never need another garden tractor even though you'll wind up with several more..........at least!

You'll laugh when you see BIG BOX thingys sittin' out, incapacitated, weathering away.   :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

smoreau

If it only lifts the front, it needs the the front deck adjusters moved up. Mine will lift off the ground when adjusted correctly. They are not easy, but I take mine off every time I cut because it will not fit in the shed with the deck on. Only 2 mor weeks of this tell I get the new house with a 24x40 pole barn! Can't wait!!!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Welcome to the 520 club...    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

nothing like starting out at the top of the heap. 

Great minds think alike, was my first :wh: too. 

:WRS:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

cleat

Mine lifts as well. Not as much as the 42" deck but it is up a couple of inches at least at the rear.

Cleat

gabe911

Thanks for all the comments fellas, where would one suggest to place some jack stands on it though?

MalMac

With that heavy a deck you should remove it from the tractor. One of the best ways to separate the deck from the tractor is after you have removed your t-bar lift is to drive over the deck. You will need to put some boards to help get up and over. You can slide the deck out but it is a job. That deck is heavy to say the least. They do a wonder full job of cutting but are a bear to maintain.

• Like 1

gabe911

Yea your right, I might as well just learn that process, thx MalMac

Ed Kennell

Gabe, Here is the lift system I use to remove / install decks.  I lay  two 8' 2000lb  nylon  slings  in front of the front  wheels and drive over them. They are held out near the wheel by the arm on the spindle. The slings should be 8' long so they do not rub the hood when lifting.  I prefer a 4 pulley  5/8" rope fall  to make the lift as with my 100lb pull on the rope, limits the lift to about 400 lbs.

And it is quicker than using a cable come-a-long or chain fall and it can easily lift the front end of my 520H with the 48" deck still attached.  Obviously, you must have a SAFE structure to attach the lifting device. And never put any body parts under a suspended load.   If I were actually removing the deck, I raise the deck with the hydro, disconnect the attach-a-matic , lower the hydro and disconnect the lift arm.  Then lift the front of the tractor and roll the deck forward .

I would caution anyone building a lift system..... do some engineering.....and testing BEFORE lifting a load.

post-7208-0-07485100-1402325867_thumb.jp

post-7208-0-85874300-1402325915_thumb.jp

post-7208-0-81758200-1402325940_thumb.jp

WH nut

Id just use a jack and put the stands under the axle. no mess no fuss and no lives lost.

speedyleedy

Very nice !

Ed Kennell

Yeah, I hesitated to even show anyone how to lift a tractor. I know most don't have the capabilities to safely make an overhead lift.  I  routinely supervised the lifting and turning of  hydro turbines that weighed in excess of 150 Ton, so I have no problem safely lifting the front of a tractor.

Another suggestion if you elect to drag the deck out from the side of the tractor.  ..... Drive on a piece of old carpet, then drop the deck on those furniture sliders under  each   wheel.

You'll be surprised how easily it moves.

gabe911

Thx Ekenell, I'll probably start off with the latter of the 2! That's a pretty cool pulley setup you go there though..

Fordiesel69

Great deal.  With a plow, I would be concerend with the metal chains, but with the snow blower, it will not be an issue becuase you would not be needing to spin the tires. 

Lastly, these are GREAT tractors with exception to the engine.  You may consider making a baffle for the front of the deck to keep the grass out of the flywheel area.  These engines die from a lack of cooling, and popping a valve seat.  I beleive this is a design problem.  There is plenty to read on this topic.

rexman72

very nice tractor

Shuboxlover

• Like 1

rjcap

Very nice set up. I think you have a good deal at $2100. That machine with the 60" deck and two stage snow blower, wheel weights and chains is the complete package. I imagine you will be very happy with your purchase. 

• Like 1

gabe911

Frank....what the heck....why would you spread such filth on this forum???!!!!!! :)

Where do you think he found it? :) :) :)