jeff lary

New Member & a Clutch question

jeff lary

Hi I just joined a moment ago and am glad to be here. I have searched some of my horse questionsover the years  past and often the Google search has led me here. So I figured maybe I should join and ask away.

I own a 312-8 that I bought new in 1995 in Fairfield Me. I use the heck out of it and always have, I have a factory cab, Blower, Mower deck and Rototiller. I have always done my own repairs but I now have a question that I cannot seem to find an answer to.

The other day while mowing I lost movement that is to say let out the clutch and sat right still. I have solved the issue I guess and she is all back together. The gas strut was weak and the price for new was $65 so the dealer suggested that I go with a spring instead installed between the axel web and the clutch rod plate with the small hole in it.

So the spring is in and when you let out the clutch she moves just fine now,.. all is well I guess, except for this. The clutch pedal needs to be much further out in it's travel as In closer to me than before  , before the tractor starts to move. I think I may have an idea what I need to do but want some opinions first.

Under the left running board there is the clutch rod,... toward the rear of that rod is a trunnion that can be adjusted either towards the engine or to the rear of the tractor. I think that maybe if I adjusted that rod some stuff will happen but just not sure what ! How do I adjust the clutch so it takes more in the middle of its travel instead of at the end of it's travel as it is now ?

I will get out now and watch for some advice , if I don't respond immediately it will only be because I cannot see how to do it but I will learn!! Thanks for your help and time ,Jeff

boovuc

Welcome and yes.....you can adjust that rod to take up the pedal play and how far forward it sits. Should be a Service manual for the 300/400/500 series tractors that will show you how to make the adjustment.

jeff lary

Thanks, I am guessing to make it " take " sooner I would screw the trunnion forward on the threaded rod ? I would like to own a service manual for it really. All I have is the owners manual that is a big help but it also says " see qualified dealer for repair " quite often too. ha ha.

AMC RULES

:WRS: 

Download the manual for your  :wh: here.

Duff

Hi, and :WRS: ! You're headed in the right direction. When you make your adjustment, just be sure the forward travel of the clutch pedal is lelt with enough travel to let the "brake" on the belt guard on the right side stop the motion of the drive belt so you can shift without grinding the gears. When you download the manual this will maybe become clearer, but basically if you adjust the trunnion and then push in the clutch and the gears grind as you go from neutral into gear, you'll need to back it off a little so that brake-thingy can do its job. Someone else here may be better able to explain this....?. 

Duff :thumbs:

(spent my first 18 years in Hartland, VT, a ways west of you!)

Edited by Duff

jeff lary

Thanks all for the advice I really appreciate it, I just skimmed the manual and did not see where the spoke of this adjustment but I am sure it is in there someplace. And I spent my first young drinking years with a fake ID from Hartland Vt. Small world I thought I was pretty slick back then ya know.

KC9KAS

:WRS:  and we love pictures!

jeff lary

Ok but I have no horse pictures I guess I will have to remedy that. Is there a little attachment button here to use for pictures ? I keep all mine in folders on the laptop. I don't use photo bucket or some other place not really savvy about some of that stuff I guess.

Duff

Thanks all for the advice I really appreciate it, I just skimmed the manual and did not see where the spoke of this adjustment but I am sure it is in there someplace. And I spent my first young drinking years with a fake ID from Hartland Vt. Small world I thought I was pretty slick back then ya know.

:ROTF:

jeff lary

:ROTF:

glad you liked that ! I was and am pretty stupid .I figured that if I used the same town in lived in but just a different state I might not make a mistake under questioning and fold under heavy interrogation

jeff lary

Well guys I am off to bed I will check in tomorrow thanks again Jeff

Sparky

I have to wonder why the pedal is in a different position than it used to be :scratchead:  . Your drive belt, if its original, is almost 20 years old. If its original maybe its stretched and worn and its time for a new one.

Mike..............

jeff lary

I have to wonder why the pedal is in a different position than it used to be :scratchead:  . Your drive belt, if its original, is almost 20 years old. If its original maybe its stretched and worn and its time for a new one.

Mike..............

Hi Mike ,

No the pedal is where it always was the clutch just engages in a different spot now. In the past like last week the tractor would begin to move when the clutch pedal was about half way out. Now the pedal has to be a little over 3/4 of the way out before you get movement from the tractor. It is acting the same as a truck or farm tractor clutch that takes right at the top,... or end of travel and needs adjustment

Martin

First off, welcome to the forum.....

i think the reason why you are experiencing difference in pedal height at a given drive movement is now you have tension on the pedal side of the cross-shaft that controls the clutch/belt take up with the new spring setup and before that tension was on the belt side right at the belt idler pulley bracket of that same cross-shaft. maybe you have some wear in the frame where that shaft passes through and that is causing the shaft (because its worn) to move on one side more than the other.

also check the roll pin on the left of that shaft that holds the arm on that your spring is now attached to.

heres a few pics of what I'm talking about and my remedy when rebuilding my latest......

Edited by Martin

jeff lary

I will look all that over when I get home today. I have changed the drive belt a couple times since owning the machine earlier someone asked if the belt was orig that's why I mentioned it.

The clutch rod I am talking about is still at factory setting I have never adjusted it , ever. So I thought that since I have tilled my garden, mowed 1 1/2 acres of lawn every week every summer, and blown every snow storm from 2 driveways since 95 that I may have to adjust something. But like a lot of my ideas I may be wrong about that thought too. I will look at the pin and the through holes for the rod as well. Thanks to all , well I have to leave here and head off to Southwest Harbor for the day now that's about1 1/2 hour drive so I better get started. Jeff

jeff lary

Hi all i have a few more questions if someone has a moment....

1) I just was looking through my owners manual the one i got with the tractor,and was reading about the screen filter in the fuel shut off valve. Is this enough of a filter ? or have most of you also added an in line filter too ? I am thinking that direction. I have some uneven sputtering while running and i am betting fuel may be the culprit.

2) I was asking origionally about the trunnion on the clutch rod on the left side under my horse. Some one here offered a link to print out an owners manual ,..."Form no.3316-530" . I just printed it out and it does have a little more info than my owners manual that came with my tractor back in 95. On page 15 left side of the page ," Pto clutch and brake adjustment " it talks very breifly about adjusting this rod. Is there some other manual that may talk more about this subject ? My clutch takes right at the very last bit of pedal movement and i think i need to adjust this trunnion some but was hoping for a little better description of what the adjustment will accomplish. I have read what everyone has said and will take it all into account when i do adjust it . I am just one of those freaks that wanted to see it all laied out in the book with and explaination of how the adjustment works. Maybe that is not talked about in any manual ? but i wanted to ask the experts first. Thanks to all Jeff